D&D 5E Using "D&D 2024" instead of "5e24"

Dire Bare

Legend
I do not remember this being true, and I believe it is not accurate. I never heard the term "3.5e" before WotC used it.

Googling this is a bit hard, but most of the fan-naming I can find of the "next edition" before 3.5e was announced seems to assume it would be 4e. I can't find the 3.5e name until WotC announced it. Any alternative data backing up your statement would be appreciated.
That's what I remember, but sorry . . . that was 20 years ago, and not worth doing "homework" over.

Hussar

Legend
Doesn't make it right, and it's gotten worse as WotC 5e has become more popular. It's a serious, "Now all restaurants are Taco Bell" situation.

Again, it has always been thus.

Look I constantly use 3pp. The campaigns I’ve run since 3e started have always featured lots of 3pp content. Scarred Lands, World’s Largest Dungeon, Primeval Thule. Hell the first WotC module I ever bought was DragonHeist.

I’m a long time 3pp fan. I get loving 3pp.

But outside of a tiny handful of us? 3pp might as well not exist. It just doesn’t even register. I constantly rail against this but it’s the truth. For the overwhelming majority of gamers, if 3pp vanished tomorrow they wouldn’t even notice.

And it has always been like this. I don’t understand this perception that 3pp are somehow more visible than they are. Think about it this way- a million dollar kickstarter is huge news right? And over the years there’s been quite a few of them.

How do you think that compares to the least popular WotC title in the last ten years? This isn’t me being some WotC fanboy. I’m asking a serious question. If you picked ten million dollar kickstarter titles - any ten at random - and the worst selling WotC title, which do you think would be more recognized at random tables?

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Again, it has always been thus.

Look I constantly use 3pp. The campaigns I’ve run since 3e started have always featured lots of 3pp content. Scarred Lands, World’s Largest Dungeon, Primeval Thule. Hell the first WotC module I ever bought was DragonHeist.

I’m a long time 3pp fan. I get loving 3pp.

But outside of a tiny handful of us? 3pp might as well not exist. It just doesn’t even register. I constantly rail against this but it’s the truth. For the overwhelming majority of gamers, if 3pp vanished tomorrow they wouldn’t even notice.

And it has always been like this. I don’t understand this perception that 3pp are somehow more visible than they are. Think about it this way- a million dollar kickstarter is huge news right? And over the years there’s been quite a few of them.

How do you think that compares to the least popular WotC title in the last ten years? This isn’t me being some WotC fanboy. I’m asking a serious question. If you picked ten million dollar kickstarter titles - any ten at random - and the worst selling WotC title, which do you think would be more recognized at random tables?
I'm not saying it isn't true. I'm saying it's very sad, and I wish it wasn't so.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm going to call it D&D 5.1, because that is the standard versioning nomenclature for a new version that adds new features but doesn't break backwards compatibility. Version 3.5 of D&D coming directly after 3.0 was an abomination.

5.24e seems more appropriate as it is most "5e with TCOE and XGTE variants and a few tweaks and rebalancing."

The biggest change is that every PC gets a very weak feat at level 1.
We don't even know if the MM or DMG are getting any real changes outside of clarity and reorganization.

Is it closer to D&D 3.5e to PF1? Because people called that 3.75e so would this too be a "quarter edition"?

Remove ads