• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Magic Item Pricing Rules - Boots of Freedom

Jarrod

First Post
There is a scale factor that considers short-lived spells vs. long-lived spells. Where was it...

2 If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

So that's where expeditious retreat would be more than longstrider - it has a shorter duration.

Brain

First Post
I'd go as far as to say those boots are powerful enough to be at least a minor artifact. As such, I wouldn't allow a player to make them, or worry about putting a price on them.

the Jester

Legend
Fly as a free action sounds to me like a Quickened fly spell, so 7th level, with a minimum CL of 13.

I agree that you need one CL for the item.

I'd argue that making something an immediate action is better than quickening it.

Also, I'd be very leery of letting someone combine magic and psionics in one item.

Zimbel

First Post
Nail said:
New Magic Item: Boots of Freedom
  • Dimensional Slide, Augmented (CL 9, Mv action to activate, 2/day) [32,400gp]
  • Blink, Improved (Complete Divine) (CL 9, Std Act to activate, 1/day) [16200 x 1.5= 24300gp]
  • Freedom of Movement (Spl Lvl 4, CL 7, Immediate Act to activate, 70 min) [11200 x 1.5= 16800gp]
  • Fly (CL 5, Free act, 5 min duration over course of each day) [6000 x 1.5= 9000gp]
  • Expeditous Retreat (CL 1, Continuous) [4000 x 1.5= 6000gp]
  • Total Market Price = 88,500gp

Does this look reasonable?
1) 9(CL) * 5(SL) * 400(1/day use)*2(x/day) = 54,000 I'm not certain where you're getting 32,500 from. Prehaps you're missing that the Augementation effectively increases the SL by 2? (see the XPH - djores as an example) If you care, it's "Dimension Slide" not Dimensional Slide"
2) I agree.
3) The problem here is the immediate action. Unless you cut the duration to almost nothing, I'd cost it either as an 8th level spell (quickened Freedom of Movement, degrade to a swift action) or make it continuous. The former is 72,000. The latter is 84,000. Note that in either case, this would be cheaper if it becomes the primary ability.
4) Simular problem with the Fly ability. A split, free-action ability that you may only want for a few rounds at a time is only slightly worse than a continuous ability. I'd cost it around 40,500. For comparison, for some purposes, it's worth more than Winged boots (which costs 16,000).
5) Formualicly, you're missing the x2 multiplier for short duration. That would give 12,000. I would tend to cost this sort of speed boost higher, more in the 16,000 range

So In total, I'd cost it around 206,800-222,800. Were I DM, I'd probably give you a break, and stick with the lower number. After all, you wouldn't be able to buy or make this until a pretty high level.

Zimbel

First Post
the Jester said:
I agree that you need one CL for the item.

Also, I'd be very leery of letting someone combine magic and psionics in one item.

I have no problems with multiple CLs for effects on an item. In games that I permit psionics, I'd have no problems with a psionics/magic item, although I might require a PC to bargain with two different sellers for it.

Nail said:
New Magic Item: Boots of Freedom
  • Dimensional Slide, Augmented (CL 9, Mv action to activate, 2/day) [32,400gp]
  • Blink, Improved (Complete Divine) (CL 9, Std Act to activate, 1/day) [16200 x 1.5= 24300gp]
  • Freedom of Movement (Spl Lvl 4, CL 7, Immediate Act to activate, 70 min) [11200 x 1.5= 16800gp]
  • Fly (CL 5, Free act, 5 min duration over course of each day) [6000 x 1.5= 9000gp]
  • Expeditous Retreat (CL 1, Continuous) [4000 x 1.5= 6000gp]
  • Total Market Price = 88,500gp

Does this look reasonable?

So, using the patented Patryn of Elvenshae System for Pricing Magic Items, what we'll do is break this complicated item into multiple, separate items, and then mash them together.

Your highest CL is 9, so all abilities will be priced at CL 9 per my earlier comments.

Boots of Dimensional Slide [I assume you mean Dimension Slide]: PL 3 * ML 9 * 1,800gp (Command Activated) / (5 / 2) = 19,440gp

Boots of Improved Blink: SL 5 * CL 9 * 1,800gp (Command Activated) / (5 / 1) = 16,200gp [I had to back calculate from your numbers to arrive at SL 5]

Boots of Freedom of Movement: SL 4 * CL 9 * 1,800gp = 64,800gp [I have no idea where you're getting 11K for this; there's also no way to make something an immediate action to activate, so we'll price it as if it were a standard command-activated item; each activation lasts 90 minutes]

Boots of Flying: SL 3 * CL 9 * 1,800gp * (1/5) * 1.11 [Boots of Speed modifier for single use made into a split-up duration with free action activation] = 10,800gp

Boots of Fast Movement: [Striding and Springing gives a +5 bonus to Jump checks worth 2500gp; therefore, +10 Enhancement to Speed is worth 3000gp as a secondary ability, and is therefore worth 2000gp on its own; ergo, enhancements to speed cost enhancement squared * 20gp, only allowing multiples of 5'] 30 * 30 * 20gp = 18,000gp

So, to sum up, we've got the following five magical items as our "base":

1. Boots of Dimension Slide: 19,440gp
  2. Boots of Improved Blink: 16,200gp
  3. Boots of Freedom of Movement: 64,800gp
  4. Boots of Flying: 10,800gp
  5. Boots of Fast Movement: 18,000gp

Clearly, the most expensive power here is the Freedom of Movement; therefore, that'll be our base item. Everything else has its cost multiplied by 1.5, as they are secondary powers. This brings us to:

• Boots of Freedom of Movement (CL 9, Command-activated): 64,800gp
  • ... and Dimension Slide (ML 9, Move-action, 2 / Day): 29,160gp
  • ... and Improved Blink (CL 9, Command-activated, 1 / Day): 24,300gp
  • ... and Flying (CL 9, Free action, 9 nonconsecutive minutes / Day): 16,200gp
  • ... and Fast Movement: 27,000gp (CL 9)

... for a grand total of 161,460gp.

IanB

First Post
...not to mention requiring, I would think, both Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Universal Item, which means you're probably going to need a cerebremancer to make it.

Remove ads