D&D 5E Using the "Bonus Action Potion Houserule" with Cure Wounds/Healing Word

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Meh. I still wouldn't consider that as an indication of healing being too weak. Healing being too weak is certainly not something I've personally experienced in the years I've been playing 5e.
So when damage outpaces even the best healing spells, and ranged damage spells blow touch healing spells out of the water, healing is just fine? I'm almost curious what you would consider weak healing, then.

But I've heard all the arguments. If you're fine with just throwing out healing word to keep people going long enough to get to being able to spend Hit Dice, or carrying around 100 potions of healing because, what else are you going to do with your treasure, that's great.

I'm not.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So when damage outpaces even the best healing spells, and ranged damage spells blow touch healing spells out of the water, healing is just fine? I'm almost curious what you would consider weak healing, then.

But I've heard all the arguments. If you're fine with just throwing out healing word to keep people going long enough to get to being able to spend Hit Dice, or carrying around 100 potions of healing because, what else are you going to do with your treasure, that's great.

I'm not.
Your table. You have fun your way.

But as a dude who’s played 5E since release and recently went back to 2E, trust me 5Es healing is fine.

In combat healing is pretty trash in 5e, but I’d combine this with gritty rests, or some other greater out of combat limitation. 5e is too much out of combat healing, too little in. Healing is a real bad use of reasources in combat unless you totally control the action economy and have actions to spare, but even then, still suboptimal, but a maybe ok? use of excess actions.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I have never heard anyone say healing is to weak in 5E.

I have heard that 5E has to much healing and is jokingly called "easy mode" when combined with death saves and multi saves etc.
^ THIS!

Healing isn't weak in 5E at all. With spending HD on short rests, the Healer feat, easy healing potions listed on the equipment table, and so many types of healing spells and classes/subclasses with access to them, it is abundant with healing potential.

So a houserule that seems to have become more popular on the boards is this for healing potions:

Healing Potion: Uses a bonus action. Optional: If you instead use an action to consume the potion, the healing is maximized.
Yeah, I've heard people say the whole healing potion as a bonus action. :rolleyes: I would never do this. Frankly, it's ridiculous.

I've never heard anyone mention the action to maximum option, however, which just makes it more so IMO.

How about this: if your party keeps getting injured so much, try avoiding combat? ;)

Now, this won't help for the groups who want more healing, but FWIW we use maximum rolls when upcasting, but for all spells. So, a level 2 cure wounds does 1d8+8 (maximum of 2nd d8) +WIS mod, while a level 5 fireball would do 8d6 + 12 (maximum of the extra 2d6).

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not aware of complaints that healing is too weak either, but the proposed houserule seems okay.

There's a cost and a benefit.

I do have some questions though:

Does the ability to max out healing also apply when upcasting a spell?

Is it possible to take an action to administer a potion to a dying ally so as to heal them more?

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Hyperbole warning.. healing too weak? What do you want, enemies with nerf weapons?...hyperbole ended...resume gaming.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Oh here, let me. Healing is weak in 5e. A CR 1 Bugbear can slap a guy for 11 damage, and you'd need a cure wounds upcast to 2nd level just to bring someone back to the hit points they were at before the attack, let alone give them any buffer to soak up more attacks.
Iirc, a 1e bugbear, by way of comparison did 2d4 or by weapon type, same as a PC’s weapon. Now, the bugbear does 2d8+2. Why? HP bloat. Then all of a sudden healing can’t keep pace. I wonder why. Monsters need more HP, PCs need to do more damage, monsters need to do more damage, everyone then needs MOAR HPs. It’s an endless, sort of stupid cycle, imo.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Iirc, a 1e bugbear, by way of comparison did 2d4 or by weapon type, same as a PC’s weapon. Now, the bugbear does 2d8+2. Why? HP bloat. Then all of a sudden healing can’t keep pace. I wonder why. Monsters need more HP, PCs need to do more damage, monsters need to do more damage, everyone then needs MOAR HPs. It’s an endless, sort of stupid cycle, imo.
I don't think the players are really benefiting from hit point bloat though. I mean, a 1st level Fighter with 16 Con in AD&D has 12 hit points. In 5e they have 13.

And damage? 1st level Fighter in AD&D with 16 Strength is doing 1d8+2 (+4 if weapon specialization is on the table) with a long sword, or 1d10+2/+4. His 5e counterpart is doing 1d8+3 or 2d6+3. Again, not huge differences. Actually if weapon specialization is taken into account, you have a bonus attack every off turn, making the AD&D Fighter more powerful!

So I'm not entirely sure I get why monsters have to have more hit points and do more damage if the players aren't significantly stronger than they used to be...*

*At least until 10th level, where the PC's still keep getting hit dice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases