D&D 5E Using the "Bonus Action Potion Houserule" with Cure Wounds/Healing Word

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you have a potion in a readily accessible location (such as a potion bandolier or similar container) or it is already in hand, you can drink it with your free "interact with an item" each turn. If it is in a backpack, you can use your "free interact" to get it in hand.
This is just following the RAW regarding free interactions and what we do as well.

As for potion holsters and bandoliers, however, they are clearly visible, and while I don't let enemies attack them individually (I've seen called shots like that go south once in the player's hands), you can bet if someone goes down, enemies will be happy to help themselves to free potions.
LOL potion holsters would never fly in my games. You walk around with something like that and your PC will be robbed or killed while they're sleeping. And yes, enemies will target such a PC, knowing it has magical potions.

I have other rules with regards to healing, though I've noticed that even making cure wounds better doesn't stop the players from using healing word.
Here's a simple thought if you want more healing: you add the caster level to the number of hit points healed.

Another way to fix that is: Somebody at 0 HP can't benefit from magical healing during combat (like if you are down, healing takes a minute instead of an action). They only can get stabilised. Now the players have an incentive to avoid getting to 0 HP. Now using healing while the players are not down to 0 HP is a must.
Problem: there's no good way to prevent going down. If you spend a turn healing, you'll only delay getting dropped by half a turn (at best), so healing (and most thp options) aren't worth the action. The only way to prevent a drop is to kill the enemies before they do damage.

So the optimal tactic remains "nova the enemies before they can attack", the only change is you've made alternatives less viable.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
If you have a potion in a readily accessible location (such as a potion bandolier or similar container) or it is already in hand, you can drink it with your free "interact with an item" each turn. If it is in a backpack, you can use your "free interact" to get it in hand.

This is just following the RAW regarding free interactions and what we do as well.
I think you've misread, DND_Reborn. The house rule is allowing them to DRINK IT with their free item interaction on their turn, not using an Action.

I think an enormous number of games have conditioned us to expect a 1:1 - 2:1 ratio healing to incoming damage from a non-boss monster, so long as resources last.

I could sit down to play WoW, Skyrim, Overwatch, or a giant pile of other games and get such a result.

That's obviously a poor expectation to have when you switch to D&D, but I find new players who aspire to heal are frequently surprised by the comparatively lower 0.5:1 ratio during combat in D&D.

However, this is working as intended for 5E. Fights in 4E could go on for a ridiculously long time with even moderate healing available. The current ratio of in-combat healing keeps it reasonably brisk.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think you've misread, DND_Reborn. The house rule is allowing them to DRINK IT with their free item interaction on their turn, not using an Action.
No, that is how I took it. After all, if downing a flagon of ale or stuffing food in your mouth is a free interaction, drinking a potion should be as long as you already have it out and in hand.

For most instances, however, the free interaction involves getting the potion out, and then the Action is used to drink it (or wait until your next turn and drink it for free....).

1671212540097.png

I however, don't allow the bandolier of potions ( :rolleyes: ), so potions are either in a belt pouch, backpack, etc. (requiring a free interaction to retrieve) or ALREADY IN HAND.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How about "pop the cork"? I assume that everyone handwaves it, but if we were simulationist (and I am absolutely NOT simulationist) I would think that popping the cork could be the slowest part of the job. I mean, you'd really need TWO free hands for that. Otherwise you'd probably be spilling potion on yourself regularly.

Of course, when you jump down that rabbit hole, you wind up with a LOT of things in D&D that we regularly handwave that would be a pain to deal with if you were really the adventurer. Six seconds is not a lot of time for some things, and an eternity for others.

How about "pop the cork"? I assume that everyone handwaves it, but if we were simulationist (and I am absolutely NOT simulationist) I would think that popping the cork could be the slowest part of the job. I mean, you'd really need TWO free hands for that. Otherwise you'd probably be spilling potion on yourself regularly.

Of course, when you jump down that rabbit hole, you wind up with a LOT of things in D&D that we regularly handwave that would be a pain to deal with if you were really the adventurer. Six seconds is not a lot of time for some things, and an eternity for others.
That feel like making too many things discrete actions: drawing an arrow, knocking an arrow, then using your action to shoot? Do we need one item interaction to unsheathe a sword and a second to grip it properly? How many interactions to use a spell component?

Unless your goal is to prevent pcs from drinking potions, popping the cork as a separate interaction feels like it's against the spirit and letter of the rules.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah, but when the Players get stronger Healing, the NPCs and Monster will get it, too.
That will prolong fights, until one party runs out of spellslots.
How many monsters have healing now? I only have my experience to draw upon, but it seems fairly uncommon.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It really depends on the potion vial, bottle, or whatever and how it is actually capped. I used to put a cork in my chemistry beakers and pop that with my thumb while holding it in the same hand. And for something like doing that in combat, I would think the wiser adventurer would actually practice the motion. ;)

Yeah, it is a bit silly if you actually think about the six-second round... Oh well.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I understand not liking the idea of a potion bandolier, lol. And yes, if you wear one in town, I'm sure you would be targeted by thieves (at least, ones who know what the potions are). Of course, if there's no easy way to know what's a vial of oil and what's a potion of healing and what's just water with food dye, it sounds like a fairly easy thing to foil.

And yes, I realize, not letting people grab potions or smash bottles in combat is bending verisimilitude, but as I said, allowing that sort of thing led to more problems in the long run for me.

Example-

ROGUE: "Hey James, I want to use Sleight of Hand to steal the enemy spellcaster's spell component pouch/spell focus so he can't cast spells."

ME: "Uh...ok, sure..."

(Several encounters later)

ME: "The Goblin reaches up and snatches your holy symbol, so now you cannot use your channel energy."

CLERIC, glaring at Rogue: "You see what you started? I swear, first chance I get, I'm going to buy a bunch of holy symbols. Oh and also, have fun with those death saves, since I can't heal you."

ROGUE: "What have I done!!!"

Remove ads