Vampires of Waterdeep (IC)

hafrogman

Adventurer
Kenneth sighs slightly as the battle erupts. At least the tavern's customers got out safely. Time to clear our the unruly leftovers. He closes in on the nearest wolf, grabbing his shield from his back as he steps into place and swings his sword around.

[sblock=ooc]MA: Ready shield while moving NW
SA: Attack werewolf 4
Attack +19 1d8+5 dmg, crit 19-20 (+2d6 damage vs. evil) [good, silver, slashing]

I am leaving town until the 31st. NPC Kenneth as neccesary. He will try to clear out the riffraff before focusing on their leader. Moving and attacking as applicable. If any of his friends get seriously injured, he will heal them with his wand.[/sblock]

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Seeing the determined look on the your faces the Werewolves split into pairs and move into a position allowing them to attack

Kenneth sighs slightly as the battle erupts. At least the tavern's customers got out safely. Time to clear our the unruly leftovers. He closes in on the nearest wolf, grabbing his shield from his back as he steps into place and swings his sword around.

At Kenneth moves forward to attack the Werewolves launch themselves at him, moving together as a group they manage to both slip inside his defences raking him with their claws

With blood dripping from his wounds and feeling unaccountable weak Kenneth grits his teeth and focuses on his opponent at hand, deftly parrying one of it's claws out of the way Kenneth steps forward and drives his enchanted sword up to his hilt into the Werewolves abdomen with a twist and a wrench he draws the blade out of the ragged wound.

Salo doesn't give Lord Orlpar a second glance. He knows some of his companions might scold him later for not pursuing Orlpar, but Salo has his priorities. Something awful was happening inside the Grinning Lion and his friends were in there.

Salo approaches the rear entrance, draws a wand and dagger from his bandolier, speaks a single word, and vanishes.

Concentrating on his armband, and casting another spell, Brondin begins to worry about what exactly they are dealing with. Most of his wounds close, and he stands ready to face the werewolves backing him into a corner.

As Brondin begins his spell casting the Werewolves launch into action, dodging and weaving Brondin manages to fend off the attacks with ease, just as he thinks the worst is over one of the Werewolves (#6) clamps it's powerful jaws on to Brondins shoulder and sinks it's teeth into his soft flesh, as yet another wave of weakness courses through his body, Brondins fears are confirmed as he realises that he's been energy drained yet again.

Blotting out the pain Brondin continues to cast his healing spell.

[sblock=Brondin]knowledge (religion) check 12 VS DC 20, failed.
The Werewolves don't look like undead creatures to you, saying that you know for certain you've been energy drained twice, while typically only undead creatures have energy drain, some magical items or rare living individuals can possess this ability[/sblock]

She told me to leave, it must have been important... Why? Why now? Was it a test? Was Helm testing me? I know the church brought me here to protect someone that had some them a service. Is she the one? I know Helm's faithful are often tested to prove their worth. That must be it, to hold true to duty and vigilance! She was testing me herself with that elaborate set-up to see if I would follow orders, Evendur thinks as he walks, trying to come to some kind of logical way to explain his actions to his friends.

I think they're going to be mad at me. I hope I can explain, people often don't understand Helm's unwavering devotion. Surely I can find the eloquence to say what needs saying... Thinking hard still, Evendur finds his feet going to one of the temples of Helm where he hopes a vigil will help him order his thoughts and mind for this new duty. Perhaps one of the priests there can help him understand what Helm requires of him.

Evendur clambers over the table he was sitting at then heads out the doors.

Seeing the damage dealt by Kenneth and his enchanted blade the Malarite woman briefly locks eye contact with the human warrior
[sblock=Kenneth Only]
For a fleeting second Kenneth is captivated by the gaze of the alluring Malarite, shaking off the strange feeling Kenneth focuses once again on the two Werewolves at hand. (Will save 24 vs DC 19, success)[/sblock]

"Not likely dog." Wolf stabs his silver short sword at the neck of the werewolf, followed by an uppercut with his spiked gauntlet. In a flurry he carves and pummels the werewolf again, his eyes alert for any companions moving to support the werewolf and within striking range of his sword.

As Wolf moves to attack both Werewolves spring into action, quickly overwhelming his defences. Wolf emerges from the assault badly clawed and bitten covered in his own blood.

The Werewolf dodges out of the way of his short sword and evades Wolfs gauntleted fist, feinting a blow to it's abdomen the werewolf moves to block the expected blow, leaving itself open to Wolfs enchanted gauntlet to slam into the side of it's head to little effect.

"Somebody grab Evendur!"

I really wish they had surrendered. And I really wish my companions hadn't acted so rashly, thinks Vaidun with a slow shake of his head.

As Vaidun steps away the Werewolves begin their attack, Vaidun manages to completely avoid the attacks of one of the Werewolves (#3), while the other manages to bite Vaidun before he moves out of it's reach.

Stepping back into the corner to put some distance between himself and the werewolves, Vaidun quickly chants out the words to a spell, sending a powerful blast of lightning forth at the foes.

The lightning hits the Malarite women square in the chest leaving horribly burning her skins and arcs amongst the Werewolves with similar devastating results, the lightning proved too much for the Werewolf attacked by Kenneth with a scream it's body writhes from the assault, as it collapses to the floor it's body turns into a fine gaseous mist before heading towards the door.

Standing erect with wisps of smoke coming of her body the Malarite woman glares at Vaidun "You will come to rue this day, mageling." speaking with a note of authority "Come Brothers the hunt await us"

[sblock=OOC]Some of the descriptions may be slighty off when compared to the information in the Combat Summaries section, this is because I mistaken did full attacks, even though some of the Werewolves moved more than 5'.

However I corrected this in the Combat Summaries section, butas I'm currently swamped at work I don't have the time to go back and correct everything.[/sblock]

Combat Summaries[sblock]
Initiative
WW1 30 (Readied action)
WW2 30 (5' step then attacks Vaidun 19 [claw], 24 [claw] & 26 [bite] VS AC 23. Conceealment 08 & 26, one hit for 9 damage.)
WW3 30 (5' step then attacks Vaidun 15 [claw], 17 [claw], 21 [bite], three misses.)
WW4 30 (Attacks Kenneth 31 [claw], 32 [claw] & 15 [bite]. Two hits for 15 + 9 points of damage)
WW5 30 (Attacks Kenneth 25 [claw], 32 [claw] & 14 [bite]. One hit for 14 points of damage)
WW6 30 (Moves and attacks Brondin 33 [Bite] (Nat 20 failed crit 17). One hit for 10 points of damage)
WW7 30 (Moves and attacks Wolf 23 [claw]. One hit for 15 points of damage)
WW8 30 (Attacks Wolf 31 [claw], 32 [claw] (Nat 20 confirmed crit 30] & 29 [Bite]. Three hits for 14 + 19 + 10 points of damage)
WW9 30 (Attacks Brondin 21 [claw], 13 [claw], 28 [Bite]. Three misses)
Kenneth 20 (Attacks WW #4 38[19] (crit confirmed 31) for 18 + 10 (holy) points of damage.
Salo 14 (Uses wand of Greater Invis then moves to back door)
Brondin 11 (Save vs Lycanthropy 27 vs DC 15, success. Con checks 28, success x2. Cast Maximised Cure Mod Wounds)
Evendur 10 (Full move round action)
Exotic Lady 9 (Influences Kenneth)
Wolf 6 (Attacks #8 16, 13 [short sword] & 14, 25. One hit for 14 damage)
Vaidun 6 (Save vs Lycanthropy 17 vs DC 15, 5' step then cast Maximised Chain Lightning for 72/36 [12d6 due to energy drain] points of damage)

Spell Effects Summary
Brondin: Greater Magic Weapon [Silver Mace], (13 hours duration)
Vaidun: False Life (14 temp HP's,13 hours duration), & Greater Mage Armour (13 hours duration).
Salo: fly: 5 minutes, greater invisibility: 7 rounds (49 charges left after this use)

Conditional Summary
Brondin 22/62 (Energy Drain 2)
Evendur 110/121 (Energy Drain 1)
Kenneth 63/101 (Energy Drain 2)
Salo 67/67
Vaidun 51[65]/60[74] (Energy Drain 1)
Wolf 65/113 (Energy Drain 3)
Malarite 31% / 100%
WW1 82% / 100%
WW2 52% / 100%
WW3 41% / 100%
WW4 0% / 100%
WW5 41% / 100%
WW6 52% / 100%
WW7 52% / 100%
WW8 55% / 100%
WW9 25% / 100%

Energy Drain: -1 to all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws. -1 effective level and loses access to one of your highest level spells. Per level drained.[/sblock]

The Grinning Lion - Round 2

Rhun

First Post
Vaidun Kale

Vaidun let's off a loud stream of curses in the infernal language as one of the beasts manages to penetrate his defenses. Now having a slight bit of breathing room between himself and his foe, the abjurer prepares to drop a warding between himself and the werewolves at the first sign of them moving nearer...

He then draws forth a small glass cone and casts another spell, summoning forth a incredibly frigid blast of cold to strike his enemies...

OOC: Use reactive warding to summon a Yellow Veil (Personal) if anyone should move to attack him. The veil lasts for 13 minutes, protects from gases, clouds and petrification effects (as well as immunity from poison), and inflicts 80 points of electrical damage (reflex save for half, DC24) on anyone attacking him. It would also normally provide concealment, but I'm not sure if that 20% miss chance stacks with the cloak...I think they are both concealment effects, so my guess is no.

Cast Cone of Cold, attempting to get 1, 2, 3 and D within the blast, without striking any of his companions. 12d6 damage (DC23 reflex save for half).

Last edited:

sans

First Post
Salo Smellyfoot

Salo finally gets a clear view of the situation inside the tavern. He thinks, "Werewolves? Not again! I bet Wollf and Bron are going crazy."*

However, after seeing the blood covered Bron get chewed on while trying to cast a familiar and desperate sounding cure spell, Salo knows the situation is grim.

Not realizing the significance of a slain werewolf dissipating into a cloudy haze, Salo attempts to distract Bron's attackers. He squeezes by Bron and flies up over the heads of the two werewolves, contorting his body to avoid contact. He "lands" five feet above the ground and stabs his dagger towards the head of the weaker looking of the two assailants.

"Behind you, you flea-ridden mutts!"

[sblock=OOC]
*Taking liberty with our party's past history and going with the idea proposed in the OOC thread about the party helping Wollf take on some werewolves.

MA: Tumble over WW6,9. wind up in square E6. Tumble: 29 (final check value. no roll needed. +19 and take 10 via skill mastery, also invisible and flying, so maybe +2 circumstance bonus as well)
SA: Attack WW #9:
vs undead: +1 Silver Dagger of Undead Bane +20 melee (1d3+2, +2d6)
vs other: +1 Silver Dagger of Undead Bane +18 melee (1d3, +7d6 sneak attack)​
[/sblock]

ByteRynn

First Post
Brondin, feeling ever-surer this is worth the chance, defensively casts another spell on his mace, nearly ready to start injuring his foes.

ooc: [sblock]Cast disrupting weapon on my mace, Concentration Check +18. If it works, the DC for undead of 13 HD or less to not be destroyed is Will DC 19. Curious, why do I only have 22hp? Should I not have 48? Last round I ended with 32, I then took 10 damage, bringing me to 22, and then I maximized Cure Moderate myself for 26 hp, bringing me to 48. Also, why am I making multiple cast defensively checks each time I cast a spell? Even if I am trheatened by multiple opponents, don't I still just make the one check?[/sblock]

Lord_Raven88

First Post
ByteRynn said:
ooc: [sblock]Cast disrupting weapon on my mace, Concentration Check +18. If it works, the DC for undead of 13 HD or less to not be destroyed is Will DC 19. Curious, why do I only have 22hp? Should I not have 48? Last round I ended with 32, I then took 10 damage, bringing me to 22, and then I maximized Cure Moderate myself for 26 hp, bringing me to 48. Also, why am I making multiple cast defensively checks each time I cast a spell? Even if I am trheatened by multiple opponents, don't I still just make the one check?[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Firstly I didn't adjust you hit points as your casting a spell with a casting time of 1 round, the spell isn't completed until just before you next initiative count. So at the beginning of the next init I'll adjust your HP's up by 26.

Secondly the general tactic of the Werewolves has been to wait until your init count before acting themselves, so everytime they injury you it has been while you were spellcasting.

Saying that, I did orignally do 2 con checks for you because I had both WW do full attacks on you, later on I realised that one of the WW's had moved further than 5' so you weren't hit a second time. Obviously I forgot to adjust the combat summaries accordingly[/sblock]

Voadam

Legend
"They're all vampires! Use everything you've got!" In the blink of an eye Wollf disappears leaving the werewolves to sniff after him.

ooc ring of invisibility and tumble move to get out of full attack from the pair, if there are any mirrors on the wall that is where Wollf will tumble to.

Remove ads