D&D 5E Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft Table of Contents

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose, the table of contents for the upcoming hardcover Ravenloft setting book.

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose.

35E85C77-FBD3-4492-91FA-FDC047A7CEF9.jpeg

B51D989E-38B9-4145-8BD9-6C79BEBEC4EA.jpeg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But the 2nd Ed did, and that's being erased as well
We assume it's being erased. All we have right now are theories about what happened to the older dark lords and why Azalin is wandering around. It's entirely possible that this book does follow 2E chronology for many or even all the domains, and stuff has happened in the ensuing decades. For one thing, the demiplane is inside the Plane of Shadows and has been broken into pieces, so something heavy duty happened, which could have all sorts of other consequences.

Just because we didn't get a mediocre series of novels out it doesn't mean there wasn't a Realms Shaking Event for Ravenloft.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also: Wolfweres were always dumb. They were an old school "ha HA, the players will never see this coming" spin on jackalweres and werewolves that were purely intended to screw over the players. They don't occupy any particularly interesting game niche and have rightly not reappeared in 5E. There's nothing that's been done with them that can't be done by some flavor of werewolves, whether a clan that hates other werewolves or variant werewolves that turn into humans but are wolves in their natural state.

Dire Bare

Legend
Also: Wolfweres were always dumb. They were an old school "ha HA, the players will never see this coming" spin on jackalweres and werewolves that were purely intended to screw over the players. They don't occupy any particularly interesting game niche and have rightly not reappeared in 5E. There's nothing that's been done with them that can't be done by some flavor of werewolves, whether a clan that hates other werewolves or variant werewolves that turn into humans but are wolves in their natural state.
I never really got into the distinctions between werewolves, wolfweres, and loup-garou in the D&D game. They are all just flavors of werewolf that can be summarized by one MM entry and perhaps a couple of statblocks.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They're interesting if you consider them to be more like trickster spirits than just another type of werewolf. Wolfweres are never mindless, slavering beasts, aren't bound by the moon, don't spread lycanthropy, and can appear, AFAICT, in any number of human(oid) forms of any gender or appearance--Harkon canonically has a female form as well as his male form, although he seems to prefer the male form. The fact that they used to be vulnerable to iron instead of silver gives them a very fey heritage.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
They're interesting if you consider them to be more like trickster spirits than just another type of werewolf. Wolfweres are never mindless, slavering beasts, aren't bound by the moon, don't spread lycanthropy, and can appear, AFAICT, in any number of human(oid) forms of any gender or appearance--Harkon canonically has a female form as well as his male form, although he seems to prefer the male form. The fact that they used to be vulnerable to iron instead of silver gives them a very fey heritage.
Thats actually a kinda cool take on wolfwere but I’ve never really seen them treated as anything other than an alternate werewolf. Also Jacklaweres are a better take on the Trickster spirit. I wonder if having Harkon be a Jackalwere and more Fey would work

Faolyn

(she/her)
Thats actually a kinda cool take on wolfwere but I’ve never really seen them treated as anything other than an alternate werewolf. Also Jacklaweres are a better take on the Trickster spirit. I wonder if having Harkon be a Jackalwere and more Fey would work
Unfortunately true (that nobody uses them as anything but werewolves). I honestly wouldn't mind Harkon being a jackalwere--they're not including Farelle so they wouldn't be stepping on that domain's toes--but the climate and terrain isn't quite right. I don't know if Kartakass would do as well if it wasn't in such picturesque temperate forest, and jackals are much more desert-y.

Remove ads

Remove ads