• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming 2024

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it! Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it!

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes they are changing monsters for the new MM. It would be strange to suggest those changes did not have an impact on play.
I'm not sure what you mean. You'd be able to use the 2014 MM or the 2024 MM for the statblocks. It won't matter which. I mean... I'm sure that if you ran the same fight with one or the other, they wouldn't GO 100% exactly the same but the point is, you could play it either way and it would work without any conversion.

It'll be the same for the characters. Again, you could play it with 2024 PHB characters or 2014 PHB characters (or a mix of both). People wouldn't be doing the exact same thing on every turn as they would the other way, but again, it would still work.

So it doesn't matter whether it counts as a 2014+ book or a -2024 book. It's the same either way.

EDIT: I see that this has been more than discussed already. Ignore me (I mean, not literally, but don't mind me.)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not sure what you mean. You'd be able to use the 2014 MM or the 2024 MM for the statblocks. It won't matter which. I mean... I'm sure that if you ran the same fight with one or the other, they wouldn't GO 100% exactly the same but the point is, you could play it either way and it would work without any conversion.

It'll be the same for the characters. Again, you could play it with 2024 PHB characters or 2014 PHB characters (or a mix of both). People wouldn't be doing the exact same thing on every turn as they would the other way, but again, it would still work.

So it doesn't matter whether it counts as a 2014+ book or a -2024 book. It's the same either way.

EDIT: I see that this has been more than discussed already. Ignore me (I mean, not literally, but don't mind me.)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're you one of the folks reporting having the 2014 and 2024 versions of the same Class in the same party...?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're you one of the folks reporting having the 2014 and 2024 versions of the same Class in the same party...?
Yeah, I've done that. Twice! (I mean, to be more accurate, the 2014 version and the playtest for the 2024 version, which will wind up two different things).

I've run encounters with the Monsters of the Multiverse version and the Volo's version of the monster in the same encounter, too!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I've done that. Twice! (I mean, to be more accurate, the 2014 version and the playtest for the 2024 version, which will be different).
For sure: how did those players feel about the comparison in practice? I'm certain you said, like, 9 months ago, but I'm curious.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
If there is no functional difference between 2014 and 2024, then it is all wasted effort. That seems a strange position to take, but okay.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If there is no functional difference between 2014 and 2024, then it is all wasted effort. That seems a strange position to take, but okay.
Sure, there is a difference. But the difference is not substantial enough to hurt interoperability. The '24 Fighter has different features, but is in mathematical balance using the same rules as the 2014 Fighter.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Sure, there is a difference. But the difference is not substantial enough to hurt interoperability. The '24 Fighter has different features, but is in mathematical balance using the same rules as the 2014 Fighter.
I was referring more to the statement that the players noticed no difference with monsters. If that is true, it is entirely wasted effort. Which is too bad, because considering how absolutely boring 2014 monsters are one might have hoped some revision might have made them more interesting.

But I own MotM and I know the changes made were next to nothing, from a gameplay standpoint. If that is the paradigm they are going for with the 2024 MM I would advise folks against wasting the money and buy the LevelUp monster book instead.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was referring more to the statement that the players noticed no difference with monsters. If that is true, it is entirely wasted effort. Which is too bad, because considering how absolutely boring 2014 monsters are one might have hoped some revision might have made them more interesting.

But I own MotM and I know the changes made were next to nothing, from a gameplay standpoint. If that is the paradigm they are going for with the 2024 MM I would advise folks against wasting the money and buy the LevelUp monster book instead.
Oh, no, @FitzTheRuke wasn't talking about Monsters, he was talking about Classes. He had players using the same Class at the same table at the same time, one using the 2014 version and the other the 2024 playtest version. And didn't feel wither was disadvantaged.

The MotM and other later books (everything from Ravenloft on, basicslly) do have better math thar makes the CR system more consistent. That's the difference.

Notable for both PC and Mosnter options how much money they are pouring into art as making ghe case for new sales, probavly more than the rules. And focusing on interoperability for the refined options.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads