• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming 2024

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it! Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it!

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

Sure. That's part of the problem. But you could do the same with a "standard" party and still.see how variable and broken it is. The point is this: you cannot claim that 2024 is both taking pains to resolve encounter and monster design AND simultaneously claim that it is seamlessly compatible with 2014. It is impossible. Either 2024 does solve the problems (eg MotM) or is makes significant changes that mean "compatibility" is only possible with conversion. You can't have it both ways.
as a player I don’t really care, my DM makes it work and he says both systems work for him. That’s good for me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure. That's part of the problem. But you could do the same with a "standard" party and still.see how variable and broken it is. The point is this: you cannot claim that 2024 is both taking pains to resolve encounter and monster design AND simultaneously claim that it is seamlessly compatible with 2014. It is impossible. Either 2024 does solve the problems (eg MotM) or is makes significant changes that mean "compatibility" is only possible with conversion. You can't have it both ways.
I really don't see any contradiction, but then I see the 2014 rules structure as fundamentally working as designed. But more recent options fit the math structure of the base system better, ao the new MM is Bringing them more into line.

Sure, thwt means people could still just keep using the old MM, and WorC has said as much. That's why they are making the MM so much bigger, and doing all new big budget art: to provide added value.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Solo monsters don't work in 5E unless given special abilities. High numbers of monsters break the action economy and can easily lead to a TPK if the GM doesn't actively choose to avoid it. Monster pairs actually work pretty good, over all.

And that isn't even to bring up how badly implemented individual CRs are.
The individual CRs are primarily what is being changed, as can be seen in more recent Monster book designs. The swinging of newer Monsters is much lower, much less likely to stomp the players unexpectedly or be stomped unexpectedly. The new MM is bringing the Core in lime with recent supplements.

Solo monsters don't work in 5E unless given special abilities. High numbers of monsters break the action economy and can easily lead to a TPK if the GM doesn't actively choose to avoid it. Monster pairs actually work pretty good, over all.

And that isn't even to bring up how badly implemented individual CRs are.
I’m starting to suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ll trust my DM and move on from this thread

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I’m starting to suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ll trust my DM and move on from this thread
Lol. Ok. I've only been running 5e and writing for it for years. But ok. Your DM taking every effort to ensure you have a good time is definitely evidence that the system as designed is perfect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads