D&D 5E Vengeance Paladin alignment

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can a vengeance paladin be of a Good alignment instead of Lawful Neutral?

Vengeance tenets sound more chaotic neutral to me. They do whatever it takes to fight their sworn enemies.

When 1 of the tenets says you can do evil as long as your foes are exterminated it’s hard to see him being good.

Of course if you view good alignment as the greatest good for the most people then you could define it as that. That’s not the definition of good alignment I would use though.

gyor

Legend
No Paladin Oath actually has alignment restrictions this time, it just on a fluff level some are easier to justify then others.

I'd say pretty much any God/alignment can justify having an Vengeance Paladin aka the Avenger aka Grey Knight, as their Oath is more based function then any higher ideal.

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
No Paladin Oath actually has alignment restrictions this time, it just on a fluff level some are easier to justify then others.

I'd say pretty much any God/alignment can justify having an Vengeance Paladin aka the Avenger aka Grey Knight, as their Oath is more based function then any higher ideal.
How would you recommend roleplaying a Lawful Good vengeance paladin?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Can a vengeance paladin be of a Good alignment instead of Lawful Neutral?

I've always thought of them as the Chaotic Good Paladin.

Their tenants are:

Fight the Greater Evil, No Mercy for the Wicked, and Restitution.

Only 'By Any Means' is a non-good tenant.

Even then, their vengeance is upon "wrongdoers" and "those who do evil"

I see that the book says 'neutral or lawful neutral' that is in opposition to their tenants though.

FrogReaver

How would you recommend roleplaying a Lawful Good vengeance paladin?

Only swear vengeance against the nastiest of the nastiest. Have a naive personality suxhbthat you genuinely believe the good option never gets in the way of exterminating your foes. That way your not put in a predicament such that being good conflicts with doing the thing that will defeat your foe.

Best to work with dm of you want a lawful good vengeance paladin because he can easily put you into a situation where your tenets will break by being lawful good

Hussar

Legend
It's funny how we all see alignment differently. To me, that's perfectly LN. Chaotic Neutral's are far to unstable to actually keep to any single code of behavior.

FrogReaver

It's funny how we all see alignment differently. To me, that's perfectly LN. Chaotic Neutral's are far to unstable to actually keep to any single code of behavior.

When your code of behavior is do whatever as long as the big bad guy dies then it doesn't really qualify as a code in the traditional lawful sense. IMO

It would be like swearing an oath to be chaotic. Speaking of an oath of chaos.... is that lawful?

Remove ads