• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vessel of Stars – Switching to Cthulhu?

cstyle

First Post
Vessel of Stars – Switching to Cthulhu?

Has anyone checked out wotc’s free adventure The Vessel of Stars?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20001101a

I’m contemplating whether or not to run this for my group, only with a twist. You see, IMC there is more inter-planetary travel than inter-planar. I would have the Emperix be from another planet, and the skimmer would be a space ship, not a dimension ship. I’m just trying to decide how best to do it.

My homebrew world has a somewhat standard fantasy feel to it. However, I’m using Lovecraftian concepts to populate the prehistoric times of my world. For example, in the link below, my world’s time line follows the Cthulhu timeline up until about 40,000 years ago. (At which time, the rise of men, elves, and dwarves began.)
http://www.maison-otaku.net/~rhea/Cthulhu/Cthulhu.html

Back to The Vessel of Stars, I’m just not sure how to make Cthulhu fit. For one, none of the races (that I know of) use space crafts. The Yith travel by body displacement, and have retreated to the distant future anyway. The Mi-Go, Flying Polyps, and Primordial Ones can fly through space on their own (the latter of which is close to extinction anyway). The Illithid, who I’m using in place of the Star Spawn of Cthulhu, have put little efforts into technology as they’ve made their way with psionic might. As such, they travel the stars using psionic teleportation and gates. So whose ship is the skimmer anyway? Likewise, I could replace the Vrill with the Mi-Go, the Flying Polyps, or the Illithid pretty easily, but what about the Emperix and her people?

Hmmm, I just had a thought. Satura could be one of the Yith, displaced into the body of a human. Perhaps the Yith have chosen now as the time to migrate back to the earth, and they plan on doing so by displacing the human race. Satura could be leading the way for such a movement. The Flying Polyps, their ancient enemies, are out to stop them. The PCs, by helping Satura, would unknowingly be helping the Yith take over humanity!

Do you have any ideas? Would it be too much work switching around this module, making it not worth the effort?

Thanks in advance!

Remove ads