Vin Diesel's D&D Birthday Cake

It's well known that the actor Vin Diesel is a Dungeons & Dragon fan. He had his 48th birthday this week, and his birthday cake clearly shows his love for the hobby. The cake depicts three books based on the D&D 3rd Edition design - the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual.

It's well known that the actor Vin Diesel is a Dungeons & Dragon fan. He had his 48th birthday this week, and his birthday cake clearly shows his love for the hobby. The cake depicts three books based on the D&D 3rd Edition design - the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual.

vin.jpg

Apparently not any perception. Then again, even if they were 5e books, I think it would take an exceptional amount of cynicism to automatically assume that it was corporate-sponsored product placement.

I'm not a cynical person. I didn't "automatically assume" it was product placement. I have noticed for some time that nearly everyone is ga-ga that a celebrity is interested in D&D...a perfect opportunity for Hasbro to "stoke" behind the scenes: "Hey, if you'll mention our game again, we'll give you a bit of cash". And then I see this cake...a very pricy cake...to make the fonts exactly like the 3e font required some serious effort...if it was made by a professional baker, that's a huge fee. And I see it's a pretty slick, nigh-professionally-lit photo. That's what evoked my question.

Like: "Hey, if we make this birthday cake for you and hire a professional photographer to shoot it...would you post it on your fb wall?"

As I said, I might be mistaken...I'm simply offering another point of view.

Either way, I'm not dissing or doubting Diesel's original interest in D&D.

But, even were it so, so what? How would a business's less-than-altruistic gesture of appreciation make the cake any less awesome (or any less sincere) than if a buddy commissioned the cake?

It wouldn't make the cake less awesomely crafted. It is an amazingly and beautifully crafted cake. Kudos to the baker!

And what a neat idea. Even if the idea came from a Hasbro rep, it's still a neat idea to make a cake look like a stack of books. Very nifty.

What matters is that there be some distinction between self-initiated culture and corporate-steered, product-placed, commodified, fake culture.

It's the difference between knowing that a teacher or pastor or artist or filmaker or reporter is working out of their own free impulse, rather than trying to slip in corporate advertisements into the classroom, sanctuary, gallery, theater, and mind.

D&D is "just" a game, but it has cultural potential.

Ah, perhaps I'm mistaken. Beautiful cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rune

Once A Fool
I'm not a cynical person. I didn't "automatically assume" it was product placement.

(For the record, I made no such assertion of anyone--including the poster to whom I was responding.)

I have noticed for some time that nearly everyone is ga-ga that a celebrity is interested in D&D...a perfect opportunity for Hasbro to "stoke" behind the scenes: "Hey, if you'll mention our game again, we'll give you a bit of cash".

Perhaps that's because so many in our hobby have suffered so mugh negative stereotyping that many are desperate to hold up an icon--particularly one who appears to contradict some of those stereotypes as thoroughly as does Vin Diesel--to dispel them. And if Hasbro wants to leverage that, good for them--and good for us. The current "Geek-chic" fad won't last forever; eventually, geeks will just be geeks, again.

And then I see this cake...a very pricy cake...to make the fonts exactly like the 3e font required some serious effort...if it was made by a professional baker, that's a huge fee. And I see it's a pretty slick, nigh-professionally-lit photo. That's what evoked my question.

Like: "Hey, if we make this birthday cake for you and hire a professional photographer to shoot it...would you post it on your fb wall?"

As I said, I might be mistaken...I'm simply offering another point of view.

In that case, let me offer a couple of (no less plausible) scenarios:

1: Vin Diesel has friends who, collectively or individually, can afford to and care enough for Mr. Diesel that they are willing to spend as much on a birthday cake as a decent wedding cake might cost and...

2: the professional bakery, for reasons of its own, has professional photographs of its creations taken, or...

3: Vin Diesel actually has a friend who is a professional photographer (perhaps even a contributer to the commissioning of the cake), who wanted to take a professional photograph of it and came to the party prepared to do so.

What matters is that there be some distinction between self-initiated culture and corporate-steered, product-placed, commodified, fake culture.

It's the difference between knowing that a teacher or pastor or artist or filmaker or reporter is working out of their own free impulse, rather than trying to slip in corporate advertisements into the classroom, sanctuary, gallery, theater, and mind.

Does it really matter, though? Or, to put it more philosophically, is it really possible for culture to be fake? No matter its origins, doesn't its wide-spread adoption automatically qualify a culture as "real?"

And, anyway, how else is a culture going to spread, but through the indoctrination of outside influence? Show me a teacher or pastor or artist or filmmaker or reporter who does not have to incorporate their employer's/patron's/consumer's interests into their work, and I'll show you one who is unemployed/unfunded and of limited cultural impact. At least during their lifetime.

Unless we're talking about Prince, of course.

Perhaps that's because so many in our hobby have suffered so mugh negative stereotyping that many are desperate to hold up an icon

Okay.

In that case, let me offer a couple of (no less plausible) scenarios:

1: Vin Diesel has friends who, collectively or individually, can afford to and care enough for Mr. Diesel that they are willing to spend as much on a birthday cake as a decent wedding cake might cost and...

2: the professional bakery, for reasons of its own, has professional photographs of its creations taken, or...

3: Vin Diesel actually has a friend who is a professional photographer (perhaps even a contributer to the commissioning of the cake), who wanted to take a professional photograph of it and came to the party prepared to do so.

Could be.

Does it really matter, though?

This cake matters little.

The wider question of the separation of monied interests and human spirit is the most important issue of this century.
https://sites.google.com/site/threefoldnow/free-cultural-sector

Cheers!

Okay, human spirit = human culture = human development = the cultivation of individual meaning, qualities, and talents. Sorry for using a word ("spirit") which is no longer in wide public use.

human culture = art, science, and religion (and other worldviews). Education is the primary vehicle of culture.

In contrast, the legitimate role of the economy is to produce the material means for human physical existence: food, clothing, and shelter. Which is good. Yet it is sick to have corporations whose primary purpose is economic, to be dickering around behind the scenes, interfering in cultural memes.

For example, if Hasbro, Inc. were purchasing "product placement" in the form of a D&D birthday cake meme, with the false implication that this was really coming from Diesel's friends, that is a small example of economic power (a business corporation) manipulating a cultural meme or field.

Presently, the cultural sector of life is heavily dominated by economic thinking, or by governmentalized thinking.

The separation of culture, business, and state is the very most important matter of our century.

Nice cake though.

Rune

Once A Fool
Okay, human spirit = human culture = human development = the cultivation of individual meaning, qualities, and talents. Sorry for using a word ("spirit") which is no longer in wide public use.
The popularity of the word is irrelevant; the phrase was vague and your meaning unclear. An arcane word that had specific usage would have been less so.

human culture = art, science, and religion (and other worldviews). Education is the primary vehicle of culture.

I think you've made another unsupported assertion, here, but I'll go with it, for now.

In contrast, the legitimate role of the economy is to produce the material means for human physical existence: food, clothing, and shelter. Which is good. Yet it is sick to have corporations whose primary purpose is economic, to be dickering around behind the scenes, interfering in cultural memes.

Legitimized by whom? How is producing the material means for the spreading and evolution of culture (as you define it) not legitimate?

For example, if Hasbro, Inc. were purchasing "product placement" in the form of a D&D birthday cake meme, with the false implication that this was really coming from Diesel's friends, that is a small example of economic power (a business corporation) manipulating a cultural meme or field.

Again, so what? The results are the same, no matter the motive behind their inspiration. Would it be better for the art never to be commissioned and, therefore, never created, than to be quietly commissioned by someone looking to profit from its creation in some way?

Presently, the cultural sector of life is heavily dominated by economic thinking, or by governmentalized thinking.

The separation of culture, business, and state is the very most important matter of our century.

Why the arbitrary distinction of this century, though? The kinds of things you are talking about have been happening since humanity first built an economy. And, somehow or other, we've gotten some really great examples of human culture out of it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never seen someone angry at a cake before. The internet truly parodies itself sometimes!

Remove ads

Remove ads