• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters - Which monsters do you want to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Perkins on Twitter this weekend says that he likes what they have done with Hags in Volos Guide: so some sort of extended Hag variants?

Perkins on Twitter this weekend says that he likes what they have done with Hags in Volos Guide: so some sort of extended Hag variants?

Well, the MM was missing the annis hag, so I assume we'll see that. Beyond that I'm not sure - possibly hags with spellcasting levels to make them even nastier?

Li Shenron

Legend
Not really sure whether I'll be getting the book, but in general I'd be more interested in mid-level monsters of any kind, let's say CR5-15.

Or really, it's be enough if all monsters in the new book have some unique abilities and not just bags of HP, and then it wouldn't even matter that much what is their CR.

Spellweavers

Loved them! I think in 5e they could leverage the legendary actions mechanics to cast multiple spells in a round.

akr71

Hero
I will likely be content with the content in the book, but what I would very much like to have is more NPCs, more beasts and more undead - specifically templates for making a variety of NPCs, beasts and monsters into various types of undead. There have been a number of zombie & skeleton templates posted on the forum, but are all ghasts, ghouls, ghosts, wights, wraiths and vampires the same? How about a Dire Beast template? How about a Lycan template?

I've taken a crack at a few of these myself, but some hard mechanics to model would be helpful.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mindflayers in todays podcast "Lore You Should Know," confirms there will be a map and detailed description of a Mindflayer colony, discusses variants, etc. Mostly fluff discussion, but chapter one will have dungeon maps.

Mindflayers in todays podcast "Lore You Should Know," confirms there will be a map and detailed description of a Mindflayer colony, discusses variants, etc. Mostly fluff discussion, but chapter one will have dungeon maps.

Any hints from the podcast about which mind flayer variants? And does it seem from what they said that the variant stat blocks will be in Chapter 1?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads