• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wanna playtest the D&D-powered Stargate Beta?

Ashrym

Legend
How many races are there? I supossed only humans.

There's 5 races and 6 classes for now.

It's easy enough to access. Just need to sign up on the forum and join the playtest group (and accept the terms) before the downloads become available.

The doc is a bit funny because some the skill names are inconsistent and the wording still has the 5e text in a few places (like rogue and magic). Needs a good consistency pass but it's pretty early.

Weiley31

Legend
I find their whole class/feat system to be absolutely bonkers. In a good way. I'll be amazed if somehow this isn't adapted for a new version of DND at some point.

NotAYakk

Legend
Yea, I can't wait to see it develop more This is one of the classes
View attachment 119009
There's even placeholders later for things like. vehicles & dogfighting.
Issues.
1: Tractical Flexibility has the entire "please have rulebook memorized" issue. At level 1. On the soldier class.

2: Rally scales poorly. HP continues to scale in this game, but Rally sits there and becomes increasingly irrelevant.

3: Improved Critical's restriction to one weapon type seems unnecessary. It rules out some character concepts for little total power reduction and increased complexity.

4: Tactical Superiority shows up when you know 2 tactics, plus flexibility. Seems a bit early, and an artifact of the "5 level" system.

5: Rally is mechanically similar to fighter's "second wind", but I like second wind better. Second wind is something you do, and you can more easily hang other stuff off of it as well.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Issues.
1: Tractical Flexibility has the entire "please have rulebook memorized" issue. At level 1. On the soldier class.

2: Rally scales poorly. HP continues to scale in this game, but Rally sits there and becomes increasingly irrelevant.

3: Improved Critical's restriction to one weapon type seems unnecessary. It rules out some character concepts for little total power reduction and increased complexity.

4: Tactical Superiority shows up when you know 2 tactics, plus flexibility. Seems a bit early, and an artifact of the "5 level" system.

5: Rally is mechanically similar to fighter's "second wind", but I like second wind better. Second wind is something you do, and you can more easily hang other stuff off of it as well.

I dunno on point one, There are 13 tactical feats & one of those is to gain the tactical flexibility ability working out to barely more than a page. It's not like you can give out any feat of any type that way. Even if you don't remember the names a lot of them are pretty simple to remember while giving the soldier cool things they can do in a fight. I'm not sure 1/long rest is the right interval though.

Improved critical is less of an issue than it was in 3.5 because of weapon count, In reality it's probably going to be one of the weapons you specialize in or all common weapons so not a big deal really & simulates some pain going under cover with something other than your baby or suffering some scorn because your baby makes you look like the bad guys to the locals.

Tactical superiority at 6th makes sense though & is probably an oversight that it's also a tactical feat. You don't stop leveling at 5th you keep gaining xp/mission points (use seems inconsistent right now) to buy feats & gain 5 hp every 10 xp you spend.

I find their whole class/feat system to be absolutely bonkers. In a good way. I'll be amazed if somehow this isn't adapted for a new version of DND at some point.
Yeah, it makes a ton of sense in how Stargate adventures plays out, showing that they have put thought to adapting the 5E framework for Stargate, and not just done a quick reskin.

Anyway, even if the playtest is now public, it's still somehow done under a NDA, so we shouldn't really talk details, as little as it makes sense(when you try download the stuff it show a popup with text you have to agree to before you get the files). I remember the Fallout beta by Modiphius earlier this year also had a NDA, but it didn't seem to stop some people for sharing and talking about the stuff. Not sure how much sense it makes to have one, if you do something like a open beta anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads