D&D 5E Warduke, Kelek, Strongheart Miniatures!

The official miniatures sets from WizKids for The Wild Beyond the Witchlight include 'The League of Malevolence' set and the 'Valor's Call' set, and contain a whole bunch of characters from the 1980s D&D action toys set and the cartoon. The League of Malevolence set includes Warduke (the evil fighter) and Kelek (the evil wizard), as well as Skylla (Ringlerun's former apprentice), Zarak (the...

The official miniatures sets from WizKids for The Wild Beyond the Witchlight include 'The League of Malevolence' set and the 'Valor's Call' set, and contain a whole bunch of characters from the 1980s D&D action toys set and the cartoon.

The League of Malevolence set includes Warduke (the evil fighter) and Kelek (the evil wizard), as well as Skylla (Ringlerun's former apprentice), Zarak (the half orc assassin), and Zargash (the evil cleric).

The Valor's Call set includes Strongheart (the paladin). Ringlerun (the wizard, who was on the cover on 1983's AD&D Player's Handbook!), Molliver (the good thief), Elkhorn (dwarf fighter), and Mercion (the cleric).

malvolence.png

valor.jpeg

And here's Ringlerun, painted by Jeff Easley for the AD&D Player's Handbook back in 1983!

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 11.38.53 AM.png

lkj

Hero
If Uni or the Dungeon Master were in Witchlight, they would not keep it a secret. They'd have a whole boxed set of the heroes of the cartoon heroes ready to sell.

I'm pretty sure their absence, along with Venger's, suggests that the rights are too much of a mess for them to use them.
This seems unlikely since they are showing up on Magic cards

Which they did promote during D&D Live.

Oh, and they also said there will be nods to the cartoon in Witchlight:

AD

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This seems unlikely since they are showing up on Magic cards

Secret Lair stuff, I believe, is special collector's only editions, not standard MTG cards.
Oh, and they also said there will be nods to the cartoon in Witchlight:

They seem to mean the action figure characters who showed up in the cartoon, along with the design of the rollercoaster:
D&D Beyond said:
The return of Warduke, Strongheart, Kelek and other classic Dungeons & Dragons characters
Given how popular the cartoon is amongst oldsters and Brazilian gamers, it seems unlikely they'd be promoting Kelek if they had the stars of the cartoon available to them.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Okay, I have absolutely no nostalgia for Warheart and Strongduke or whatever their names are, and I'm absolutely not buying these minis (although they look fairly good quality for their price), but I just wanted to come in here and say that I love the enthusiasm about this. I hope that when I get old enough to be nostalgic for parts of D&D 5e that I'll be as excited about it as you guys are for these minis and characters being in The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

Carry on, and feel free to yell at me about getting the names wrong. I can take it. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay, I have absolutely no nostalgia for Warheart and Strongduke or whatever their names are, and I'm absolutely not buying these minis (although they look fairly good quality for their price), but I just wanted to come in here and say that I love the enthusiasm about this. I hope that when I get old enough to be nostalgic for parts of D&D 5e that I'll be as excited about it as you guys are for these minis and characters being in The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

Carry on, and feel free to yell at me about getting the names wrong. I can take it. ;)
It's before my.time, too (he Inpicked up XL1 secondhand), but it's cool that Chris Perkins goes for the deep cuts.

lkj

Hero
Secret Lair stuff, I believe, is special collector's only editions, not standard MTG cards.

They seem to mean the action figure characters who showed up in the cartoon, along with the design of the rollercoaster:

Given how popular the cartoon is amongst oldsters and Brazilian gamers, it seems unlikely they'd be promoting Kelek if they had the stars of the cartoon available to them.

I just meant that it seems unlikely there are rights issues if they are using them in other contexts.

As for why they aren't using them in this book (if that's true), it's possible they have other plans. Or maybe it's as simple as the fact that Kelek, Strongheart, etc. fit far more easily into the storyline than Hank and crew. Who knows. Any of a dozen reasons. But I wouldn't be stunned to hear they are doing something with the other characters farther down the road.

AD

Why are they called "Starter Sets?"
Is this going to be starting a new minis line? Is the adventure considered a starter adventure?
Starter Sets for WizKid's pre-painted miniature sets are typically sets of player character adventurers. It is an efficient way for WizKids to sell a package of popular player character minis, without people having to buy randomized blind boosters of minis.

In case this may be on interest to you, I have just updated the Witchlight gallery with all the current reveals for the Witchlight sets:

Remove ads

Remove ads