D&D 5E Warlock Mechanics - The best representation of modern fantasy archetypes in Dnd

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I know horribly old thread has anyone homebrewed the other core classes on the Warlock Chassis?

Oh and of course WOTC is breaking this class removing its interesting mechanical distinctions.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I know horribly old thread has anyone homebrewed the other core classes on the Warlock Chassis?

Oh and of course WOTC is breaking this class removing its interesting mechanical distinctions.
I would have to look around, but I think there was a thread where someone brewed up a Wizard variant using the Warlock chassis.

I've also seen some homebrew using the Warlock chassis. This shaman class has primal/druidic flavor, but with Pact Magic style casting and invocations, for example.

Warlock is the best class to run a single class adventure, especially in a sword and sorcery style.
Warlock can blend into Cleric, fighter, roguish, wizard style.
The actual pact magic allow few casting of big spells, that has his own flavor and fantasy style.
The class itself create his own genre.

The Warlock phase out when compare to casters that can use lower spell slots, spam smite, and have access to frequent long rest.

the intent to have classes with different rate of resting was to open up the shining moment of each characters. But it seem that the need for efficiency and being always up and running prime over sharing the spot light.

Last edited:

I think the mechanical chassis for Warlock is incredibly basic, since the correct answer in most situations is "cast eldritch blast." Which effectively makes them more like a martial class than a casting class. And the game needs simple classes, so they are probably fine. If kind of boring, in terms of game play.

Of course, in terms of lore and story, they are great.
I think this is seriously selling short what warlocks are capable of. My group has two warlock players. Last session, they needed to mine a special ore so a blacksmith would forge them a god-killing weapon while trapped in a pocket dimension. One warlock cast Borrowed Knowledge to gain proficiency in Mining tools to find the vein of ore. The other used Fabricate to create mining tools so the could mine the ore.

That’s not even getting into the cool things a Chain warlock can do or the versatility of a Tome warlock.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think this is seriously selling short what warlocks are capable of. My group has two warlock players. Last session, they needed to mine a special ore so a blacksmith would forge them a god-killing weapon while trapped in a pocket dimension. One warlock cast Borrowed Knowledge to gain proficiency in Mining tools to find the vein of ore. The other used Fabricate to create mining tools so the could mine the ore.

That’s not even getting into the cool things a Chain warlock can do or the versatility of a Tome warlock.
Agreed. I think the simplest fix to Eldritch Blast spam is to remove all of the Eldritch Blast invocations and then add more invocations to support different types of cantrips. Like change Agonizing Blast to a 3rd level invocation (to discourage dips) and make it do this:

"Once per turn, when you do damage with a cantrip, you may add your Charisma modifier to the damage roll. At 5th, 11th, and 17th level, you may add an additional 1d8 to the damage roll. (1d8+Cha at 5th level, 2d8+Cha at 11th level, 3d8+Cha at 17th level)"

That keeps the Eldritch Blast damage scaling in place (Agonizing Blast adds 20 damage at 17th level, this is 18.5 but can also crit), but makes other cantrips do roughly similar damage as EB spam.

Remove ads