D&D 5E Warlords of Krynn and the 4e class name in it...

pukunui

Legend
I didn’t have a problem with the 4e warlord class. I just didn’t like “warlord” as the name for a variety of reasons.

For one thing, I don’t think of a hero. I think of a ruler who uses force of arms to control a region.

I like 3e’s term “marshal” better.

Also, 5e does technically have a warlord. It’s just not a playable class. It’s a high-level NPC with legendary actions, as it should be.

It has never been the case, HOWEVER, morale and stamina are hardly mentioned. It's more like:
  • AD&D: skill, luck, and/or magical factors
  • 3e: the ability to take physical punishment and keep going, and the ability to turn a serious blow into a less serious one
  • 4e: character’s skill, luck, and resolve
So I'm still lost as to how shouting at someone will be able to restore their skill, luck and magical factors.... :p
I can't help but notice you intentionally leave off resolve, the ability to muscle through adversity. HP are not actual debilitating wounds. There is no HP loss that comes with losing a limb, so the whole "shouting a hand back on" was 100% disingenuous.

How does a night's rest restore someone's skill? Why does a potion of healing restore their luck? Shouldn't it be a potion of luck?

HP have always been gamist nonsense. I don't know how the v-tude babies somehow convinced themselves that HP actually simulated anything, other than they were exposed when their minds were still flexible and open to imagination.

Narrate this scene.

Amy strikes Bob for 5 HP of damage with her longsword.
Carl casts Healing Word and Bob regains 3 HP.

Healing was such a piddly component of the warlord anyways. It was just an excuse for the usual crowd to once again deny a fighter type nice things.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Indeed.

It has never been the case, HOWEVER, morale and stamina are hardly mentioned. It's more like:
  • AD&D: skill, luck, and/or magical factors
  • 3e: the ability to take physical punishment and keep going, and the ability to turn a serious blow into a less serious one
  • 4e: character’s skill, luck, and resolve
So I'm still lost as to how shouting at someone will be able to restore their skill, luck and magical factors.... :p

The thing is that Warlord should really not be an adventurer class, since you have a pitiful squad of 4-5 people, none of which obey you. :p

My Avernus PCs, who have commanded legions of various entities are much more warlords than any adventurer class warlords that we've played in 4e, although I admit that I liked the principle of the class (except the healing, which made little sense).
The same way "Cure Wounds" restores skill, luck, and magical factors, I imagine. : )

does a night's rest restore someone's luck? Why does a potion of healing restore their luck? Shouldnt it be a potion of luck?
I know it's weird that they think it makes MORE sense this way
Healing was such a piddly component of the warlord anyways. It was just an excuse for the usual crowd to once again deny a fighter type nice things.
yup this...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Fighters have the best healing in the game, Second Wind is basically regeneration! It doesn't require hit dice, only an hour nap to recharge. Let's see anyone match a good 17 x 1d10+Con (allowing 8 hours for a long rest).

Lyxen

Great Old One
I can't help but notice you intentionally leave off resolve, the ability to muscle through adversity.

Because only 4e has that specific note, and it's only a part of the HP.

HP are not actual debilitating wounds.

Wrong, if it's the last ones that you have, it's not only debilitating but potentially fatal. And that's where the problem lies with healing those without magic.

There is no HP loss that comes with losing a limb, so the whole "shouting a hand back on" was 100% disingenuous.

How about "Dying" ? Because that is what happens when you are at 0 HP. How are you going to shout that one back at full capacity without magic ?

How does a night's rest restore someone's skill? Why does a potion of healing restore their luck? Shouldn't it be a potion of luck?

Magic. Once more, my problem is not classes having healing powers, it's classes based on specifically non-magical power sources doing that.

HP have always been gamist nonsense. I don't know how the v-tude babies somehow convinced themselves that HP actually simulated anything, other than they were exposed when their minds were still flexible and open to imagination.

And I don't agree with that, HP perfectly simulate the "nonsense" of the genre.

Narrate this scene.

Amy strikes Bob for 5 HP of damage with her longsword.
Carl casts Healing Word and Bob regains 3 HP.

Not enough information. Did Bob have 100 hp or 3 HP before being stuck ?

sigh He was not even a fighter anyway...

Because only 4e has that specific note, and it's only a part of the HP.
Wrong, if it's the last ones that you have, it's not only debilitating but potentially fatal. And that's where the problem lies with healing those without magic.
How about "Dying" ? Because that is what happens when you are at 0 HP. How are you going to shout that one back at full capacity without magic ?
"Come back from the light... we still need you" I don't see where a hero getting up (spend a healing surge heal and then take your action) is really in the need of magic. We watch Rocky, Hulk Hogan and many other 'realistic' performances come back from almost dead...
Magic. Once more, my problem is not classes having healing powers, it's classes based on specifically non-magical power sources doing that.
okay but unserstand that many of us see NO PROBLEM with non magic healing... by the way how do you handle Fighter Second Wind?

Remove ads