Warriors Of The Coast OOC

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Though small, Seawell is a prosperous trading town with a good location on the coast of Q'barra. Next to it is a long peninsula that features mostly swamplike terrain. The inhabitants of this peninsula include tribes of lizardfolk, plus several kinds of reptiles and amphibians. Most of these creatures don't bother the town, and Seawell's militia is experienced at repulsing raids by the more aggressive lizardfolk.

A large reef extends the entire length of the peninsula on the side away from Seawell. This great wall of coral is a favorite site for fishermen, but it has always presented a serious hazard to ships approaching from that direction. Thus, about 45 years ago, the people of Seawell built a lighthouse on a small promontory near the reef, about 200 yards from the shoreline. Operated by a family that lived inside it, this lighthouse ensured that ships could easily steer clear of the reef.

A few weeks ago, ships stopped arriving from that direction. Three ships are now overdue, and the people of Seawell have begun to suspect foul play. Thus far, however, they have not been able to investigate because of increased raiding by the lizardfolk. Something has stirred them up, and the town militia has been too busy repulsing raids to mount an expedition to the reef.

Here are the submission guidelines...

2nd level Eberron campaign set on the coast of Q'Barra
All books from the Eberron campaign setting and all 4 main Complete books allowed
No psionics
28 point buy
Max HP and gold at 1st level
All characters will have spent at least a year in Seawell
Submit crunch, history, and appearance
All characters receive two additional feats over their normal starting amount. These should be selected for interesting "fluff" purposes, rather than strict crunch.

Characters currently playing:

Ari Osten Human Hexblade [stonegod]
Jango Silversun Elf Sorcerer [Valmont]
Khalia ir’Indari Human Archivist [drothgery]
Nelson Luttin Human Bard [James Heard]
Skarghash Half-orc Rogue [Brogarn]
Taviss Jarga Human Ranger [Ringmereth]

Character selection will be made based on types and interesting concepts (not first-come-first-serve). Because the game takes place in a small coastal town in Q'Barra, the more the character's history and concept makes use of the area and the reasons for being in Seawell, the better chance you probably have to be selected. As much as you might want to play your kobold warlock... if you have to really struggle to shoehorn him into the town, the more unlikely it'll be that I'll select him. I'm probably going to take 6-8 characters because invariably we'll have two people or so drop out or barely post after the first week. Please note that this game will lean more towards character interaction than combat, so if your posts don't tend to be more than 2 lines of unspoken dialogue, you probably won't like the game much. I usually will post a couple times a day M-F but rarely over the weekend (and I make it a point to finish any combats or big plot points before the end of the day Fridays so you don't get stuck waiting for me).

Finally, in reference to some comments I read quickly on the other thread about characters that had already been submitted before the Big Bang, I'm open to negotiation if you want to bring in rules from other books (like racial substitution levels and such). However, please bear in mind that it's your character history and appearance (and your writing skill) that'll have more of a bearing on your selection than any sort of attempted uber-creative crunch build. The crunch only goes so far in PbP games, whereas your skills as a creative writer have much more of a focus. Don't sacrifice the important part in order to pull in rules from sixteen different sources to create an uber-crunch character.

Thanx folks! Selection will be made probably early next week (or whenever I think I have enough submissions to create a good party). And if any old threads that had some of your previous games are still accessible because they took place before Dec 2005, please provide links so I can see if your writing style will work out well with the game. Of course, if all the threads are destroyed, then don't worry about it. Thanx again!

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Ok, I'll repost background and stats of my character as soon as I can.

I'll also post more information on me as soon too. I don't know if you had the time to make an idea of my style before the board crash.

Reminder to everyone. I'll play a Changeling Warlock who have been slaved and forced to become a spy and after some painful event for him, he has decided to flee and hide in a small village where he has started his life anew.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Yeah, the thread is back!

I have an idea of a human hexblade monster hunter. Had him all posted on the board (as did a few others) before the crash of 2006. I'll post him when I get home work work tonight.

Garrick's background - expanded

I'd be interested in submitting a character. My concept falls in line of an explorer type (looking in the future towards the Extreme Explorer PrC). Perhaps human, perhaps changeling. Undecided in which direction as of right now, but I will get a submission in ASAP.

Garrick Yandson, Male Human Rog1: CR 1; Medium Humanoid ; HD 1d6+2(Rogue) ; hp 8; Init +2; Spd 30; AC:14 (Flatfooted:12 Touch:12); Atk +1 base melee, +2 base ranged; +1 (1d3+1, Unarmed strike); +1 (1d6+1, Rapier); +2 (1d6+1, Javelin); -3/-7 (1d6+1, Sword, short; 1d4, Dagger); -3/-7 (1d6+1, Rapier; 1d4, Dagger); AL CG; SV Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0; STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 11, CHA 11.
Skills: Appraise +3, Balance +3, Bluff +2, Climb +3, Decipher Script +3, Diplomacy +2, Disable Device +3, Disguise +1, Escape Artist +3, Gather Information +3, Heal +1, Hide +3, Jump +3, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +3, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Open Lock +3, Search +3, Sense Motive +1, Spot +2, Survival +1, Swim +2, Tumble +4, Use Magic Device +2, Use Rope +3.

Feats: Action Boost, Armor Proficiency: light, Relic Hunter, Simple Weapon Proficiency, investigate, improved initative.
Languages: Draconic, Common, Reirdan
Possessions:
Weapons: Dagger (2 gp); Javelin (1 gp); Sword, short (10 gp); Rapier (20 gp).
Armor: Leather (10 gp).
Goods: Coin: gp (32) (32 gp); Explorer`s outfit (10 gp); Locksmith`s tools (5 gp); Identification papers, standard (2 gp); Traveling papers (2 sp); Lamp, common (1 sp); Backpack (2 gp); Bedroll (1 sp); Block and tackle (5 gp); Bolt Cutters (6 gp); Candle (4) (4 cp); Coin: cp (6) (6 cp); Case, map or scroll (2) (2 gp); Chalk, 1 piece (2) (2 cp); Crowbar (2 gp); Flask (3 cp); Flint and steel (1 gp); Grappling hook (1 gp); Hammer (5 sp); Ink (vial) (8 gp); Inkpen (1 sp); Coin: sp (3) (3 sp); Marbles (2 sp); Oil (pint) (3) (3 sp); Parchment (sheet) (4) (8 sp); Pouch, belt (2) (2 gp); Pulley (5 gp); Rope, hemp (50 ft.) (1 gp); Sack (2) (2 sp); Shovel (2 gp); Tent (10 gp); Torch (3) (3 cp); Vial, ink or potion (2) (2 gp); Waterskin (full) (1 gp); Whetstone (2 cp).

Garrick is a well built youth of 19 years. He is 6'2", weighing 200 lbs.

He has auburn hair that he wears shoulder length, but keeps pulled back in a ponytail, and has hazel eyes.

He wears an explorer's outfit, usually a dark brown and tan color scheme, and wears a hat. He keeps his rapier strapped to his left hip, his dagger in his right boot, and his javelin is carried underneath his backpack.

Most of his gear is kept in his backpack.

Personal History
Garrick always had a feeling that he didn't need to be in Whitecliff. He wanted, nay, needed adventure. His life of being a locksmith's apprentice had never, ever been what he really, really wanted to do. His family had come to Q'Barra after the end of the Last War, leaving Cyre for the promise of a new start, a better future. Garrick had been little then, didn't know his older brothers who died in the Last War. The only thing, outside of his mother and father, that Garrick knew, truly knew, was lore in books he had dug up. Lore about ancient treasures and runes. And those are the things that Garrick wanted to find -- not only for the "reward', but for the trip, the journey, the adventure.

Life in Hope, his parents being homesteaders, was eventful, yet boring. The daily struggle for survival never made Garrick feel on edge. He longed to see the rest of the world, to discover the undiscovered, to attain the unattainable. Making up his mind, Garrick packed up what he owned, and headed off. He made his way from Whitecilff to Seawell.

Garrick was, at first, intimidated by all the kobolds and lizardfolk, but quickly picked up some of the lizardsfolk's language and was able to converse and trade with them, getting information from them about local ruins and such. For a year, Garrick has been making Seawell his home "base". He has become friendly with the local folks, and is quite concerned about the rumors that the family that owns the lighthouse may be have fallen to foul play, and has already volunteered to make an "expedition" to the reef to investigate.

When Garrick first arrived in Seawell, he took up a job with the local blacksmith, Beryon. Beryon gave Garrick a job, mainly because of his experience as a locksmith. Garrick took up residency (temporarily) in the inn, renting a room, paying what he could, working off what he could not. The innkeeper, Morinda ran the tavern (“The Green Lilac”). Morinda Garrick under her wings, and he became friends with her twin children Jango and Jina. From working in the inn, Garrick met many other townfolk, and quickly became accepted as a “local”. From working in the inn, he met Helena, a perky, cute brunette girl, roughly Garrick’s age. Her family owned and operated the lighthouse off shore, and the 2 quickly struck up a friendship, and it quickly bloomed in to a romance. Garrick was tutored in Reiarden by Helena’s mother Julia, and some basic sailor skills (climbing, swimming, rope use, etc) by Helena’s father Carl and her brother Stephan.

Of course, the working was only a means to an end, giving Garrick his chance to explore the area around Seawell. He was never gone very long, as he usually went out along, and others, like Citen, a town guard, would get worried, and even arranged a search party once when Garrick was late coming back into town. Citen was worried that Garrick had rough afoul of the lizardfolk.

Garrick had found a set of ruins about 7 miles northwest of the town, and had made that his area of “exploration”. The ruins were set back in the jungle, grown over with vines and such. It consisted of a large central building, with a smaller building at every corner of the larger one. Garrick headed into the nearest small building, to start his exploring. It was a 2 room, stone block building, with a door set in the middle of the wall, dividing the room in half. When he opened the door, he found a passage way leading downward, but blocking the doorway was a large, lizard man. Garrick’s hand instinctively went towards his rapier, but stopped when he saw that the lizardman was injured. Garrick had already picked up some basic Draconic from his dealings with the lizard folk on his journey to Seawell. Moving forward cautiously, Garrick saw that the lizardman had a large gash on his chest, and it appeared to be bleeding profusely. Garrick attempted to help the lizardman, and eventually learned the lizardman’s name, S’lar. He bound S’lar’s wounds, and helped him recover, if only a little. S’lar was ingratiated to Garrick, and the two became “friends”, as much as they could. They would arrange to meet at the ruins to explore more, and they taught each other their respective languages, S’lar picking up some basic Common, and Garrick learning more Draconic, enough to hold conversations.

The unlikely duo discovered that each little building in the ruins held an underground passageway that lead into the larger building, and each was one of the 4 ways in, as the largest building had no outer doors. From some searching and exploring, they deduced that it was an ancient temple, but to whom or what, they could not tell. Perhaps an ancient orc god or hobgoblin god. In the wall, behind the dilapidated alter/sacrificial table was a giant dragonshard. The pair attempted several times to remove it, but somehow, the shard rebuked their attempts.

More to be added soon.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Okay, I'm putting in a placeholder for either Sanne d'Lyranader (CG female half-elf Rogue, has the Least Mark of Storm, figure sailor/trader skill set) or Khalia ir'Indari (LG female human Archivist, from Thrane, figure aristocratic scholar skill set), though I probably won't be able to drop in a complete character write-up until tomorrow evening (PST) due to work and my tabletop D&D game (which is tonight).

Why Archivist and not Cleric (or any of the Complete XXX divine casters)? Mostly because I think the class represents what I think an adventuring divine magic type should be -- someone who uses holy lore to provide ways of defeating the supernatural, and produces their magic from dusty old tomes.

Sanne d'Lyranader was born at House Lyranader's home base of Stormhome, off the coast of Aundair to two traders who worked out of the House's Wind Galleons. Sanne dreamed of working in the sky, of captaining one of the rare airships, and when she manifested the Mark of Storm, she was sure that she could make her dream come true. An apprentice voyage had gone well -- she was learning about airships, about trade, making friends on ship and in ports -- until a stupid accident that was, she had to admit, technically her fault destroyed valuable cargo. Which led to her being banished to the middle of nowhere -- at least, in Sanne's mind, a surface trading vessel based out of Seawall is the middle of nowhere -- until the higher ups in her House decide otherwise.

Sanne, though, has not given up on her dreams. She still wants her airship, and intends to prove that she deserves it.

For the past year, she's been trying to convince her captain that she really is capable of handling some responsibility, and has just about convinced him.

(mechanically Sanne starts as a Rogue; long term, she's Rogue X/Sorcerer 1/Dragonmark Heir X/Windwright Captain X)

Kahlia ir'Indari knows many in Thrane think her father is eccentric. Some of the High Cardinals say he's a heretic. And certainly his position as theocrat of the lands that were once ir'Indari ancestral holdings was mostly a political manuever to get him out of Flamekeep. But Lord Reverened Alistair is also one of the foremost scholars in Thrane -- or anywhere -- of ancient divine lore and the many supernatural threats to the world, and Khalia has learned almost all of what she knows from him.

So when her father asked her to go to Seawall to investigate an ancient mystery that had its roots near the town, she lept at the opportunity. But for the last year she's kept uncovering just enough to keep her from declaring failure and coming home.

(Khalia is an Archivist. Her build as an NPC in Shards of the Silver Flame gave her one level of Aristocrat -- the slightly older Khalia was Aristocart 1/Archivist 3 -- but NPC classes are hard to use in a balanced PC. Long term she might take the Loremaster prestige class, but it's probably better for her to stay Archivist all the way.)

Last edited:

Azaar

Explorer
Count me in, too. I'm considering a warforged artificer with the racial substitution levels from Races of Eberron at present, although I might go with a rogue or perhaps wizard instead (either changeling or human on both -- if I do a changeling wizard, I'll peek at their racial substitution levels to see if I'll like it or not; I know I like the racial substition levels for the changeling rogue, which is highly tempting in and of itself). I'll prep a warforged artificer, a changeling rogue, and a human wizard to present some options -- I'm willing to work with it more as a fill-in for what may be needed or not.

Rayex

First Post
The twins of Seawell.

Morinda and Klim had recently arrived at Seawell. Morinda was heavy with child so they decided to stay for a few weeks, untill the birth of their first child. Jango and Jina was born during a night of full moon, a night where they say that magic is in the air.
The two new-made elven parents were beaming with joy. Of course, wether it would be a boy or a girl didn't really matter (although Klim secretely hoped for a son to teach away the art of the blade, and Morinda, equally secretly hoped for a girl, to learn her the teaching of the arcane arts.), they both were incredibly happy when they got one of each!

They were supposed to travel on in a few weeks, they never got that far. Somehow they remained there, and with time became a well-known family in the town. Morinda started up a tavern in the outskirts, and Klim joined the militia and quickly rose in rank.

It soon became apparent that the kids, although twins, were as different as day and night.
Jango was silent, analytic, calm and always wore a slight frown on his face. Jina was the complete opposite; loud, boisterous, impulsive and always wore a big grin below her fiery red hair. When the twins reached the time of their maturity, they started training with their parents; Jina with their father, and Jango with their mother.

At a daily basis, they "work" as guards at "The Green Lilac", Morina's tavern. That is, if they weren't out adventuring. Jina usually lead the way, but Jango is always only a few feet behind his sister. Their favorite past-time is sneaking out of the town, towards where the lizardfolk live, and spy on the weird creatures.

At recent though Klim has told the twins to stay in the town. The more and more aggressive raiding of the lizardfolk have led the twins to search even more danger though....

Now, here's the thing: this is a pair of characters; Jango the Warmage, and Jina the Swashbuckler. One night they'll sneak out to take a peak at the lizards, and they will meet trouble. One of the twins will be slain/captured/unknown, and the other will barely escape. The remaining twin will decide to find out what happened to the other, and thus his/her reason for trying to help with the raiding.

Jango will be silent, analytic and calm, staying in the back and is content with following the lead of others. He is dark-haired, quite intelligent, and will offer his councel, if needed.
Jina will be, as told, loud, boisterous and impulsive. She prefers the role of leader, but she also realizes that her hot-headedness is not always a good thing. She'll spring to action, seldom bothering to think before acting, but she's really quite good at thinking afterwards...

Wich twin will die/dissapear, and wich will be played, is rather up to the GMs preferance, I'd love to play them both!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Great ideas thus far folks! Here are some thoughts for you to chew on.

Velmont: A changeling warlock is one of those "out there" characters that I'm guessing'll be very hard to bring into the world of this sleepy village of Seawell... especially in regards to helping the town out by checking out the problems with the lack of ships. Of course, if you can blow me away with a history as to who he is, why he's in Seawell, and why he'd help the town, then great. But I just wanted to warn you that you face a possible uphill battle with this particular concept. Feel free to keep working it, or submit more characters.

stonegod: I'll have a better idea of suggestions once I see a character history and such. Would your hexblade be a member of one of the Tharashk guilds? If he's a hunter, that might make sense.

Kralin: I like Garrick a lot. Simple but effective concept and good justification as to why he's in town and why he has a level of rogue. If you want to flesh him out a little further, feel free to create the ruins in the area that he's here to investigate and explore, and an NPC or two that he's either learning or gaining info from. Up to you.

drothgery: Of the two, I'm getting more positive vibes from your Lyrander character than your archivist. Mainly because the justification of why a sailor is in Seawell is easier to get a firm grip on than a bookworm sent down here all the way from Thrane. The dragonmark hook is also interesting. If you really wanted me to focus on the archivist though, I'd suggest working out exactly what kind of mystery would possibly make her come to Q'barra all the way from Thrane, because right now it's nebulous and not as plausible.

Azaar: Go ahead and write up as many of those concepts as you'd like, but just remember where exactly the scenario is taking place (a small coastal fishing town). This will hopefully have some impact on the type of character and race you choose, and what their history is in town.

Rayex: Very cool idea... starting with twins in town and having one of them getting captured. If you'd like to have a bit of mystery about things, do a crunch for both characters and if I select you, I won't tell you which one you'll play until the game begins. Feel free as well to expand on who the parents were and where to and from they were planning on going before they decided to stay in Seawell.

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
Great ideas thus far folks! Here are some thoughts for you to chew on.

drothgery: Of the two, I'm getting more positive vibes from your Lyrander character than your archivist. Mainly because the justification of why a sailor is in Seawell is easier to get a firm grip on than a bookworm sent down here all the way from Thrane. The dragonmark hook is also interesting. If you really wanted me to focus on the archivist though, I'd suggest working out exactly what kind of mystery would possibly make her come to Q'barra all the way from Thrane, because right now it's nebulous and not as plausible.

I was hoping you'd have a few dark secrets burried around the town that I could build on, but I guess I could try and put something specific together. There's plenty in generic Eberron lore that would draw someone like Khalia to virtually anywhere (gateways to Khyber, Dhakkani ruins, Dragon Below cultists, etc.), but particularly the more unsettled regions, and places where groups hostile to Thrane and the Silver Flame have been active.

I've really like Khalia since I created her as an NPC, so I'm kind of trying to find a place to play her. Also, this group seriously needs a divine caster.

DM:
[sblock]
In Shards of the Silver Flame, Khalia had indirect ties to the Argentum (see Five Nations) through her father.
[/sblock]

Rayex

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
Rayex: Very cool idea... starting with twins in town and having one of them getting captured. If you'd like to have a bit of mystery about things, do a crunch for both characters and if I select you, I won't tell you which one you'll play until the game begins. Feel free as well to expand on who the parents were and where to and from they were planning on going before they decided to stay in Seawell.

I love the idea. Will continue the work on these siblings tomorrow, as well as a bit more backgroun on their parents.

Remove ads