We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
About the movie. I was planning to take the whole family. Even arrange a bday watch with family and friends. I’m kinda soured on the idea. I would have thought WotC would want enthusiasts fans and hobbyists to be the ice breakers for this movie. I guess not.
This doesn't really impact my interest in seeing the movie at all. I'm fairly emotionally detached about these changes, to be honest, and don't see it impacting my behavior or purchasing decisions. And I buy 3PP stuff and know what's going on, I wonder how many D&D players in general will even take note at all...?

Knorrrssk

Explorer
I've never seen that thread, can you link it or at least name it so I can search it?
Presumably this one:

I'm sure they already have a special deal with Darrington Press and Critical Role Productions LLC. They already have a good business relationship, with the Wildmount sourcebook and the Netherdeep adventure being published by WotC, D&D Beyond being a longtime sponsor of the show and all. They certainly secured a deal with their biggest 3rd-party supplier before preparing this (and probably left them out of the sucky deal that we're all getting).

I can't say the same for Paizo and the others. Though I hope Darrington Press keeps in mind that Paizo was once a favoured partner for WotC in publishing the Dungeon and Dragon magazines as well...
Bad press and bad feelings spread.

It's all very well if WotC have a cosy custom deal with Critical Role, but if this goes out like it is here, even if WotC have that deal, and manage to muscle some others, like Paizo, the backlash will still be there, but instead of just being directed at WotC, it's going to spill over and people are going to start saying "Why are you helping these backstabbers, Matt? What's up with that?!" and stuff is going to go south pretty quickly.

Even Paizo get some sweetheart deal where THEY don't pay royalties or whatever, and don't use the OGL, they're also be seen as "collaborators" in a bad way (and yeah people will use that language).

So those guys better watch out, frankly. You don't want to be standing next to the guy the muckspreader is pointed at when it turns on!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why/Why not? Because it's all part of the vaunted "undermonetized D&D lifestyle" that Hasbro is pushing.

I said it needed to be a "loud" boycott: prompted by streamers and bloggers, picked up by gizmodo or something, repeated all over social media, etc. Obviously, simply not showing wouldn't do anything unless it's been telegraphed why they're not showing. The aim would be the threaten the box-office take on a potentially good D&D movie, specifically by people who love D&D. Presumably it would depend on the relative amounts of money at stake and whatever publicity came of it.

It might mean something. Or it might not.
But there's one way to find out.
🤷
My desire for owlbear toys and other merchandise outweighs any kerfuffle about licenses between publishers.

Scribe

Legend
This doesn't really impact my interest in seeing the movie at all. I'm fairly emotionally detached about these changes, to be honest, and don't see it impacting my behavior or purchasing decisions. And I buy 3PP stuff and know what's going on, I wonder how many D&D players in general will even take note at all...?
A drop in the bucket.

"Just let me consume, give me more WotC!"

darjr

I crit!
Probably not many. Movies are an emotional thing to me and I realize it’s not to everyone. Though much of my family and friends wouldn’t see it on opening day if it weren’t for me.

Presumably this one:
Oh that. I don't think that proves a commitment to being particularly anti-racist, more that "there is a limit", especially if you try and tweak WotC's nose by directly attacking them and attempting to thieve their copyrights! Further, I don't think it undermines the point re: LGBTQ+ stuff which is frequently attacked for being "sexualized" etc.

Remove ads