D&D 5E Weapons and armor: Using Strength instead of class proficiencies. Using str or dex for all melee weapons.

Horwath

Legend
Right now we still have Str that is little unused, unless going for 2Handed melee builds.

We also have lot's of overlap in class/race proficiencies and with multiclass.

I would like to suggest a system that uses;

Minimum strength for ALL weapons and armor instead of proficiencies.

For melee weapons, you would use STR or DEX for attacks, for ranged DEX as normal.

If you do not have minimum strength for a weapon you attack with disadvantage and deal minimum damage.

If you do not have minimum strength for an armor, you have 10ft move speed penalty, disadvantage on all attacks, and on all str, dex and con saves and checks.

Armor:

Armor nameMin StrAC bonusMax DexStealthWeight / lb
padded8165
leather102510
hide123415
scale1243Disadvantage20
chain shirt145225
breast plate1462Disadvantage30
chain mail1671Disadvantage35
full plate1880Disadvantage40

Shields:

NameMin StrAC bonusStealthDamage
buckler10+11d4
shield14+21d6
tower shield18+3D1d8

special for shield:
spikes: +2 min str, adds piercing damage type to shields and they can be enchanted as weapons
gauntled fixed shield: +2 min str, cannot be used for bashing attacks, can be used for holding items but not attacking, shield hand can be used for casting and using M components,

Weapons:

One handed:

ExampleMin Strdamage
Waraxe201d12
Mace161d10
Rapier121d8
Scimitar81d6
dagger61d4
pocket knife41d3

Two handed:
ExampleMin Strdamage
Great Maul202d8
Great axe142d6
falchion121d12
greatclub101d10
quarter staff81d8
bo staff61d6

Bows:2Handed
ExampleMin Strdamagerange
dragon bone bow202d6200/800
ironwood bow181d12180/720
composite longbow141d10160/640
longbow101d8120/480
composite shortbow81d680/320
shortbow61d440/160

Crossbows:2Handed
ExampleMin Strdamagerange
small ballista202d8150/600
great crossbow142d6120/480
heavy crossbow121d12100/400
light crossbow81d1060/240
hand crossbow41d830/120

Special rules for weapons:

weapon deals 2 types of damage: +2 min str
weapon deals 3 types of damage: +4 min str
reach 10ft 2Handed weapon: +4 min str,
reach 15ft 2Handed weapon: +6 min str, disadvantage on attacks at 5 and 10ft,
reach 10ft 1Handed weapon: +6 min str,
thrown 30/120, 1Handed: +2 min str,

Examples:
Longsword; 1Handed, 1d10 P/S damage, min Str 18,
Greatsword; 2Hnaded, 2d6 P/S damage, min Str 16,
Pike; 2Handed, Reach 15ft, 1d10 P damage, min Str 16,
Javelin; 1Handed, Thrown 30/120, 1d6 P damage, min Str 10,
Arming sword; 1Handed, 1d8 P/S damage, min str 14,
poll-ax; 2Handed, reach 10ft, 1d10 P/B damage, min str 16,
Spear, 1Handed, reach 10ft, 1d6 P damage, min str 16,
etc...

Crossbows:
all loading is Action,
if your Str is 4 pts higher than minimum, then Loading is Bonus action,
if your Str is 10 pts higher than minimum, then Loading is free action,

If you use 1Handed weapon with min Str of 14 of higher in two hands, raise it's damage die by one step if you have sufficient min Str. Otherwise calculate your Str 4 points higher if you can use weapon without penalties.

If you use 2handed melee weapon in one hand, raise its min Str by 10 pts.

Small characters calculate their Str 2 points lower while using 2Handed weapons(except crossbows).

Elves calculate their strength 2 points higher while using Bows and 1Handed swords,

Dwarves calculate their strength 2 points higher while using 1Handed axes and hammers,

Mt. Dwarves calculate their strength 2 points higher for using armor and shields,

Two weapon attacks:
when fighting with two 1Handed melee weapons, increase min Str by 4 for both weapons. This also increases min str for shields.
Dual wielding feat removes this Str penalty.

I've considered something similar, although I think a lot of your sword numbers are too high.

I think this probably must have occurred to WOTC as at some point during the games development and they likely ruled out doing this? Why? Perhaps because they thought it was too fiddly for new players and they didn't want people to get to the equipment section and then realise they had to recreate their character. Something to consider, but not necessarily a problem for a home game.

I've actually been tempted at times to go even further. Give weapons a minimum Strength and/or Dex and then just remove the ability score from attack of damage any other way - but that's a lot more radical and would lead to a whole cascade of other things that also need to change.

My personal houserule (for now) is that a large shield imposes disadvantage on dexterity attacks - but a buckler does not.

Last edited:

Name a real world medieval weapon that required Olympic-level strength to achieve even basic effectiveness with. The only possible candidate I can think of is the longbow. For everything else, sure, a higher strength level is good to have, but hand an average person say a mace and they're still quite capable of using it to deadly effect with the proper training. So rules like this (as seen in games like Diablo) always strain my suspension of disbelief.

On a mechanical level, this just has the effect of being a multiplier to a character's Strength bonus to damage, because the score increases the size of the damage die and then is added directly on top of that.

Horwath

Legend
Name a real world medieval weapon that required Olympic-level strength to achieve even basic effectiveness with. The only possible candidate I can think of is the longbow. For everything else, sure, a higher strength level is good to have, but hand an average person say a mace and they're still quite capable of using it to deadly effect with the proper training. So rules like this (as seen in games like Diablo) always strain my suspension of disbelief.

On a mechanical level, this just has the effect of being a multiplier to a character's Strength bonus to damage, because the score increases the size of the damage die and then is added directly on top of that.

Aim was not for perfect realism, some times it has to get the back seat because of mechanics and game balance.

As for Str getting double dip in melee and thrown damage, that was the exact intent behing this idea.
As was that it gets a part in ranged weapon damage.

Horwath

Legend
The 18 and 20 min strength seems too high. 16 should be as high as it gets, I think.

Really like the idea other than that.

most stuff you can use with 16 strength.

18 and 20 are something like 3rd/4th edition "exotic weapon category", but instead of costing a feat it requires using ASIs for Str instead of feats.
So, in a way, it costs a feat :p

dave2008

Legend
I am in agreement with @Arilyn : like the idea, but the strengths are two high. You shouldn't need above average strength to wear leather armor without a penalty. I have looked past the armor yet, but I think reducing your scale by 2 would be a good start.

dave2008

Legend
most stuff you can use with 16 strength.

18 and 20 are something like 3rd/4th edition "exotic weapon category", but instead of costing a feat it requires using ASIs for Str instead of feats.
So, in a way, it costs a feat :p
But we don't use ASIs, only feats!

Remove ads