• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

MGibster

Legend
It isn't like either one of you has done a lick of anything like research to come to these conclusions, now is it? These are just your personal impressions, probably highly influenced by selection bias (you game with people who are like yourself, and so you see yourself in the gaming population around you) or confirmation bias.

And yet, you argue these things as if you have some kind of actual true information.

And we wonder why these discussions go poorly?

In all seriousness, don't most of us just post based on our personal impressions influenced by our own experiences? I certainly believe World of Warcraft and other works have made younger people more receptive to orcs as player characters but I don't have any research to show this. Do you? I also happen to believe the issues that seem so important on online forums are largely non-issues for the vast majority of people who purchase RPGs. But, again, I don't have any solid research for that just my own admittedly limited perspective.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
In all seriousness, don't most of us just post based on our personal impressions influenced by our own experiences? I certainly believe World of Warcraft and other works have made younger people more receptive to orcs as player characters but I don't have any research to show this. Do you? I also happen to believe the issues that seem so important on online forums are largely non-issues for the vast majority of people who purchase RPGs. But, again, I don't have any solid research for that just my own admittedly limited perspective.
There's a difference between 'suggesting' or 'believing' something to be true and 'stating' that is is true. Use of qualifiers I think, its possible that, it would make sense that, perhaps and things of that nature identify opinion for what it is. Some people regularly conflate their opinions for fact, usually backed up by some reference to how long they've been playing. Anyway, internets.

MGibster

Legend
There's a difference between 'suggesting' or 'believing' something to be true and 'stating' that is is true. Use of qualifiers I think, its possible that, it would make sense that, perhaps and things of that nature identify opinion for what it is. Some people regularly conflate their opinions for fact, usually backed up by some reference to how long they've been playing. Anyway, internets.

I find the use of qualifiers in casual conversations to be unnecessary. Unless someone is specifically citing data or a peer reviewed study I'm going to assume whatever they say is their opinion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In all seriousness, don't most of us just post based on our personal impressions influenced by our own experiences?

Sure. But there is a world of difference between admitting the difference between, "in my experience X," and, "X is true". The rhetorical positioning is different. The thought process is different - if you explicitly admit that a thing is your impression, you implicitly admit that it may not be representative, and have to allow for your impression not holding globally, that the experience of others could legitimately be much different.

Human discourse has a "stake in the ground" component - if a person asserts a thing as true, that person feels a certain emotional commitment to defending it. If you don't defend it, you may be publicly seen as wrong, and that's not great. Meanwhile, if we put that stake in the ground and successfully defend it, we are publicly seen as correct, and that's good! This leads us to argument far beyond the limits of our actual knowledge, to avoid publicly being seen as wrong.

But, if you don't firmly put your stake in the ground, you avoid most of that. If you leave yourself and others some wiggle room, you don't risk the emotional trap nearly as much.

TSR was the Oprah of cultural appropriation. I'll appropriate your culture, and your culture. Appropriation for everybody!
Well then:

I'd like to say that none of those articles proves that "cultures" exists. I, personally, do not believe in cultures. I've never seen a epistemological sound apology cultural existence. Before we talk about cultural appropriation, we first need to be be sure the concept of cultural is not a delusion.

It isn't like either one of you has done a lick of anything like research to come to these conclusions, now is it? These are just your personal impressions, probably highly influenced by selection bias (you game with people who are like yourself, and so you see yourself in the gaming population around you) or confirmation bias.

And yet, you argue these things as if you have some kind of actual true information.

And we wonder why these discussions go poorly?
Actually no. Thats not how ive been arguing. On a few occasions ive made it clear that when pertaining to the politics of gen z im speaking from experience. The majority of my friends are either very young or very old (like 70 and older) and the majority of my online presence is on sites heavily tilted toward gen z.

So no. Ive said on a couple occasions that my reasoning is personal experience. But an abnormally vast amount of it.

I havent attempted to imply some sort of collated data for this particular thing.

This response was given with the assumption you werent trying to moderate us but instead were speaking in the capacity of a conversational participant.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd like to say that none of those articles proves that "cultures" exists. I, personally, do not believe in cultures. I've never seen a epistemological sound apology cultural existence. Before we talk about cultural appropriation, we first need to be be sure the concept of cultural is not a delusion.
Dude. I love your enthusiasm. How would a discussion of this sort add to this thread though? You're inhabiting a pretty liminal argumentative space and I can't imagine how to address that in the confines of the thread topic. I also happen to completely disagree with you, but that's neither here not there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You must have missed the mounds of peer reviewed studies cited in the post where I wrote "I find the use of qualifiers in casual conversation to be unnecessary."

Sarcasm is fundamentally failed communication, you know. It is great for rallying the troops, it is non-functional for getting folks to see your point of view as having merit.

But, let's take it this way - you find the use of qualifiers unnecessary. Okay. So what?

Remove ads