• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I can recommend Plagues and Peoples to anyone who wants to read more. But yes, theories about miasma, and about disease spreading via smells was certainly a thing, hence the classic plague doctor masks. However, there isn't a direct correlation there to hygiene, in fact I might suggest the opposite, that the cleaner people are the more noticeable smells might be. Anyway, this entire topic is really neither here nor there. Fantasy plagues would by needs by different anyway unless you're playing low-magic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, I'mnot looking for a super accurate ruleset for swords and spears.

I just want a D&Dized optional ruleset for assorted swords and spears found arond the world and fantasy that have slight mechincal differences without being more powerful than what exists. Quality and skill would be handwaved by the base heroic nature of the game.

If you want crafting levels, that is another optional rule that I would be okay with. I won't use it but it's fine.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Even accepting that people bathed, it must still have been pretty dirty in general. Look at the Black Death. The people who got that were exposed not just to rats but to fleas, and it killed half of Europe. Add to this the fact that during the black death the doctors of the time literally believed that people were getting sick and dying because it smelled so bad.

If you’re referring to plague doctors, with the classic mask, that didn’t happen in the Middle Ages. They were part of the early modern era.

The bubonic plague didn’t spread because people were dirty.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well the Europeans are major powers and the trade end nodes are Genoa, Venice and Antwerp. Starts in 1444.

A particularly aggressive Songhai player in Africa can go and Colonize Castille or England.

We're talking about Europa Universalis IV right?

I didn't say D&D didn't have other influences.
I said the PC and Monster design of early D&D brought in LOTR fans. And LOTR fans nudged D&D to be Middle Earth draped on Medieval Europe locally but everywhere.

I mean if OD&D had Kitsune, Genasi, and Anansis as PC races and staple monsters were Oni and Mayan Batmen, D&D would look a lot different .

The keyword here is "look." LOTR seems very superficial. But in terms of the way the game played (sneak into ancient ruins to pilfer gold and magic), I don't see much of LOTR present.

Anyone wants Exotic Weapons Proficiency back?

Not "strictly better" weapons but just additional weapons still in sync with martial weapons of either racial creation or of other places outside of Medieval/Renaissance European/MiddleEastern are of Earth.

Its pretty hard to find a weapon from anywhere that you can't find its equivalent on the current 5e table, and just change the name, and possibly the damage type.

Katanas and shotels,
Longswords and scimitars.
I wish spears were better. Also, longswords...are finesse I'm sorry don't derail the thread please! If literally any sword can be called finesse, the longsword is. It isn't heavy, and it's made to be used dexterously and with great finesse and precision. Movie swordfighting with longswords is absurd nonsense.
There is a lot of confusion caused by what the word "finesse" means in general usage: "with skill" "artful" etc.
. . . and what it means as a 5e game term (effectiveness and damage are irrespective of the force and athleticism of the wielder, and only based on their grace and balance.)

That and the unfortunately still-existent misconception that Strength-based attacks do not involve skill.

Yeah, I'mnot looking for a super accurate ruleset for swords and spears.

I just want a D&Dized optional ruleset for assorted swords and spears found arond the world and fantasy that have slight mechincal differences without being more powerful than what exists. Quality and skill would be handwaved by the base heroic nature of the game.
You would probably have to introduce a weapons system that has more mechanical features in order to do this just so you can give them to weapons that you want to differentiate. In the current system, "Longsword" covers any cutting, sword-like weapon that can be used in either one or two hands. There is no property in the current system that could be used to differentiate a katana or macuahuitl from that category.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
. . . and what it means as a 5e game term (effectiveness and damage are irrespective of the force and athleticism of the wielder, and only based on their grace and balance.)

That and the unfortunately still-existent misconception that Strength-based attacks do not involve skill.
Nope, I know what finesse means in 5e. Longsword fit the definition better than rapiers, scimitars/sabers, or shortswords. They require less strength, and their use is a matter primarily of speed, dexterity, coordination, etc, not muscle power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads