D&D 5E What 5e rule/option/class do you wish you saw in play MORE?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Riffing off of the thread on regrets, I want to see the positive:

Are there rules or options that you wish saw more play (or any play) at your table?

A class? A subclass? The variant encumbrance rule? Teamwork?

For me, it's the "Special Features" of magic items (DMG 141-43): this seems such a smart way to individualize the generic +1 longsword but it always seems too much to introduce in play (speaking as both player and sometime DM). Maybe it's just too precious? Or it draws focus onto one player? In any case, I'd like to see it used more.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
For me, it's the "Special Features" of magic items (DMG 141-43): this seems such a smart way to individualize the generic +1 longsword but it always seems too much to introduce in play (speaking as both player and sometime DM). Maybe it's just too precious? Or it draws focus onto one player? In any case, I'd like to see it used more.

That's one I'll second. I rarely give out any statistical bonuses, in that regard, to my magic items for my games. In my current game (Level 13s on a quest to stop the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse), I gave a player a sword called 'Endbringer' which has 6 runes on it, each one able to be activated once per day. While there are no static bonuses to attack and damage, it does count as magic. Each of the runes heightens an aspect of her character when triggered. Sadly, in that she's a bard, she's already doing so so so much every single turn, and tracks so much, I'm imagining its hard to keep up with when she uses those runes, or even when she should. She hasn't had it long, so I'm hoping she'll get more into the groove of using it.

As for what I'd personally add to the conversation, we use a rule of 'plot points' which allow you to dictate small factual bits about situations. If there's an Airship crash and all the NPCs are gonna kick the bucket, a player can spend a plot point to say a certain npc they particularly enjoyed the company of, survived the crash. You can use it in combat to say there's a stack of crates in the alley that I just didn't describe originally or didn't draw into the scene. You earn them through good roleplaying and introducing new elements to the story that aren't necessarily beneficial to you or your group. (I even reward them for helping the old memory-jarred DM remember status effects lol).

I'd love to see this sort of thing introduced into not only more DnD games, but some of the other games I play when I don't have to DM. My players, when they DM for me (like my birthday), they try to keep up with rewarding this sort of thing, but since they're so unaccustomed to it, it's not on the top of their heads - and that's cool and understandable. Just a tiny 'wish for more' I would put it.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Inspiration. Finally, some mechanical support for how you envision your character. Follow up on your flaws or do something foolhardy because the cause means that much and the system supports it.

*EVERY* 5e game I've been in has been DMed by people who have been playing D&D for a long time and it's absolutely ignored. Even when in session 0 I've brought it up I've gotten a speech about "I won't use it for anything relating to your characters' RP, but I might give it out for doing something overwhelmingly awesome" - which translated to never in about 30 sessions.

It is, by a landslide, the new rule in 5e that I am the most stoked about seeing, and yet it has never once come into play with multiple DMs and campaigns. It has been invisibly house ruled away - not even worth mentioning changed when talking about house rules, just removed silently unless someone specifically asks about it.

guachi

Hero
You just reminded me I need to give Inspiration to one of my players for last session. She's one of my other player's daughters and is probably 13 or so. I gave a hard ethical choice to her halfling paladin about whether she should free their captive Kobold or not.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

That's one of the things I did when I DMed. One example was a longbow +1 turned into bow that was made in the 9 Hells by minions of Maglubiyet (or however you spell that) as a gift to a great Hobgoblin warlord. It would glow in the presence of celestials, and cause its user a twinge of pain on a missed shot. The ranger player in the party loved it, and refused part with it even after coming across a longbow +2.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Riffing off of the thread on regrets, I want to see the positive:

Are there rules or options that you wish saw more play (or any play) at your table?

A class? A subclass? The variant encumbrance rule? Teamwork?

Agree completely on the special features of magic items. Even further, I'd like to see the attunement ramifications of artifacts applied to lesser magic items too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Agree completely on the special features of magic items. Even further, I'd like to see the attunement ramifications of artifacts applied to lesser magic items too.

Oh that's an interesting concept I've not yet toyed with - thanks for that (and my players simultaneously raise shaky-fists in your direction, playfully of course).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Inspiration. Finally, some mechanical support for how you envision your character. Follow up on your flaws or do something foolhardy because the cause means that much and the system supports it.

*EVERY* 5e game I've been in has been DMed by people who have been playing D&D for a long time and it's absolutely ignored. Even when in session 0 I've brought it up I've gotten a speech about "I won't use it for anything relating to your characters' RP, but I might give it out for doing something overwhelmingly awesome" - which translated to never in about 30 sessions.

It is, by a landslide, the new rule in 5e that I am the most stoked about seeing, and yet it has never once come into play with multiple DMs and campaigns. It has been invisibly house ruled away - not even worth mentioning changed when talking about house rules, just removed silently unless someone specifically asks about it.

I plan to hit this hard the next time I DM. I hope to throw inspiration around like candy for people playing their concept and doing cool things in character.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Oh that's an interesting concept I've not yet toyed with - thanks for that (and my players simultaneously raise shaky-fists in your direction, playfully of course).
This just seemed natural to me after reading the attunement rules, I mean you're literally bonding with the item!

One of the first of these items the group found was a ring of protection with the seal of Greyhawk on it. When the mage attuned to it he realized that the ring had an intense loyalty to the city, it wasn't intelligent, but se - but hey magic (especially when Zagyg is involved).

Anyway if the attuned character ever committed an overt act against the city, the ring would not only stop working, it would cast hold person (save at disadvantage, you are attuned after all) on the character. Players seemed to really dig the different nature of the items and it made the items seem much less cookie cutter.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
One of the first of these items the group found was a ring of protection with the seal of Greyhawk on it. When the mage attuned to it he realized that the ring had an intense loyalty to the city, it wasn't intelligent, but se - but hey magic (especially when Zagyg is involved).

Anyway if the attuned character ever committed an overt act against the city, the ring would not only stop working, it would cast hold person (save at disadvantage, you are attuned after all) on the character. Players seemed to really dig the different nature of the items and it made the items seem much less cookie cutter.

Well played, especially playing off the bond by granting disadvantage. I love finding new facets to the table here on EN World, consider your wonderful idea stolen, Mort.

Remove ads