D&D General What are the “boring bits” to you?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No I think @Rystefn is right on that one. If a player wants to retire. PC-Alice so they can play PC-Bob, PC-Alice is now an NPC they should have no expectation to maintain control over because it is spending its time doing NPC things not suitable for gameplay and PC-Alice's blessings of fate that come with having a player shielded by the social contract have been transferred to PC-Bob.
Nope. Do that to me and I'm out. Alice is still my character even if she's not adventuring any more; and you have no way of knowing whether I might bring her back into play at some later date.
I saw a recent example of a player needing this reality check in a level up game of mine. The PC in question had a "destiny" that gave some nice powers if they manage to become mayor/governor/etc of an area (I forget the specifics and it's not really relevant enough to crack open the book). Something like one session after being promoted to the ranks of minor mobility and given a figurehead type stamp of leadership over the super remote village the campaign had been in & around for months the player wanted to retire so they could swap their badass fighter(?) For a mage of some kind(again unimportant specifics) almost immediately upon returning to town the player wanted to start doing things like "with newpc I want to research xyz and oldpc is going to help with that by getting the town to do xyz" only to be told no and reminded what retire a PC means.
The problem there isn't one of control over the retired PC, it's one of a player having their multiple PCs be too co-operative with each other. This can be a problem whether the multiple PCs are in action or not, and usually requires an out-of-session chat with the player to solve.
Similar transfer of control occurs when a player gives their gm with detailed NPCs in their background. If F/Ex Bob tells me he trained under a master $whatever and wants to avenge his death before going off to murderhobo or whatever in a game where death is a revolving door to life he doesn't really have standing to be ticked if master $whatever confronts him on his unbecoming conduct and shrugs out "magic" when "how are you/is he alive?!?!" Comes up. If a player doesn't want the GM to do things with their backstory they shouldn't write that story somewhere away from the table and keep it there because even something as innocuous as "grew up on a farm and left to be an adventurer" is perfectly suitable for the folks back home to reach out with an emergency that needs a band of adventurers to clobber.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Having the setting react to what the PC does isn't a transfer of control to-from anyone, it's just an action-consequence cycle running its course. Bob can't have trained under master $whatever unless you-as-DM approved this, right; and now that master $whatever has been introduced as an NPC in your setting Bob has to live with that, for better or worse.

I love super tactical combat in theory. That is to say, reading about it, extrapolating from other games, and so forth, really gets me going. However, in practice? Nothing bores me more than waiting on my friends to figure out what to do next. I love them all dearly, but I tend to think quite a bit faster than they do, and that means I’m just sitting there for 10-15 minutes while they figure out what to do next.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I had this dilemma in my last session. The party was traveling several days away. I'm a new DM, with newer players, so I figured it might be fun to give them an outdoor wilderness travel adventure. I was thinking of plotting it out, putting obstacles in their way, coming up with skill challenges that would either advance them or set them back. Maybe for just this session track resources like rations and what not.

But then I sat there and thought "Do I really want to devote an entire session to essentially a filler episode?" and so I scrapped it and started the next session with:

"After several tiring, but overall uneventful days on the road you arrive in the village of Mapledale right as the sun hits it's peak in the sky."
I'd ask if there's any PC (or player) who would enjoy such a travel episode. If so, then it's not filler. In fact, it may be a way to give a PC a chance to shine. That's why I incorporated a jungle travel segment in the Age of Worms campaign I'm running rather than have Tenser teleport them to Kuluth-Mar. I was able to give some PCs a chance to use skills/abilities they don't get to use very often as well as drop in a bit of foreshadowing.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I love super tactical combat in theory. That is to say, reading about it, extrapolating from other games, and so forth, really gets me going. However, in practice? Nothing bores me more than waiting on my friends to figure out what to do next. I love them all dearly, but I tend to think quite a bit faster than they do, and that means I’m just sitting there for 10-15 minutes while they figure out what to do next.
If it takes ten minutes to make a decision, the problem isn't the system, at least if you're speaking of D&D or any D&D-adjacent game. Nobody benefits from spending THAT long on a single friggin' turn. Genuinely nothing is gained from that, and folks who are that indecisive need to be given a firm but supportive conversation from their DM about how the perfect is the enemy of the good and that a solid and quick decision is better than the possibility of a great decision after a long delay.

But if you mean 10-ish minutes for a round of combat, that's rather a different story, and kinda indicates the problem I'm pointing to with complaining about combats that are too quick.

Let's say you want an entire fight to take no more than 30 minutes, maximum. You have a relatively minimal number of players (4), plus however many creatures the DM controls. For simplicity's sake, we'll assume the DM is effectively "two players," because while they may play more than two creatures/entities, the things they play tend to be simpler, and there's great benefit to having only one mind behind all of them. It's not really realistic to have tactical combat that has fewer than three rounds, and even three is really too short for a lot of situations. That means four rounds (minimum) times six effective players for 24 effective turns as a bare minimum for meaningful tactical combat. 30 min/24 turns = 1.25 minutes, or 75 seconds. That means each person needs to evaluate the situation, make a decision, perform all associated actions, and tally up all mathematical stuff, all in 75 seconds--and that's for a combat with the bare minimum to really express tactical stuff. And, incidentally, that means you'll be waiting 1.25x5 = 6.25 minutes between your turns, even though no individual person is taking more than a minute and a half to resolve everything they're doing.

Combat worth engaging with as an actual, entertaining experience takes time, for exactly the same reason that roleplay worth engaging with takes time, that world-building worth engaging with takes time, that exploration of a theme or conceit takes time. Etc., etc. So long as combat is viewed as only or primarily a stumbling block getting in the way of other activities, or only/primarily as a means to nickel-and-dime the players of their resources in order to heighten tension for other parts of the play experience, then that "takes time" part will always be defined as a problem, not a potential benefit in appropriate amounts.

This is, for example, why I think it behooves any system designer to offer both low- and high-engagement components for any given pillar of play. The low-engagement option for the socialization pillar is just regular roleplay, with occasional checks. Skill Challenges offer a higher-engagement option, if handled well (I know that both some of the rules-text and most of the official adventure text very poorly handled SCs; the subsystem itself is actually quite good, people just weren't used to it and that led to Problems.) Combat worthy of having battle maps, ranges, positioning, buffs and debuffs, etc. is an inherently high-engagement prospect. I have many times called for "skirmish" rules to fill in the low-engagement alternative: a system designed to model the quick, rapid-fire, few-decisions, chip-away-at-their-resources kind of combat that is much beloved by fans of older/"classic" styles of D&D play. One that makes doing that actually enjoyable, that is truly made for (and good for) the goals that people want to achieve with such quick, rapid-fire, low-engagement combat.

It's quite possible to design a system that works for multiple different interests, unlike some comments both old and recent on this forum. You just have to...y'know...actually offer mechanics for those things, test them, polish them, and (no less important, and longtime readers of this forum know how much I love testing!) present them as equally-valid, equally-supported stuff right alongside the other things.

That's why I call for novice levels, even though I have literally no use for them myself. Same goes for the "skirmish" rules above (even though I vastly prefer tactical combat), for rules design that integrates low-, minimal-, and no-magic support from the ground up (even though I generally favor mid- to high-magic settings), and effective support for things like "literally just surviving is a real challenge" and "hiring helpers and keeping discipline amongst your hirelings is a major focus" etc.

One system really, genuinely can support all of that together. That's, really, what an actually "modular" system would look like: one that provides robust, effective, well-made tools that no individual group HAS to use, but which any group CAN use and know that they'll be effective, know that they'll actually be tested and found useful to the purpose for which they were designed.

If it takes ten minutes to make a decision, the problem isn't the system, at least if you're speaking of D&D or any D&D-adjacent game. Nobody benefits from spending THAT long on a single friggin' turn. Genuinely nothing is gained from that, and folks who are that indecisive need to be given a firm but supportive conversation from their DM about how the perfect is the enemy of the good and that a solid and quick decision is better than the possibility of a great decision after a long delay.

But if you mean 10-ish minutes for a round of combat, that's rather a different story, and kinda indicates the problem I'm pointing to with complaining about combats that are too quick.
Unfortunately, I do mean 10 minutes for several of them to take their turns. I have many times gone to the bathroom, went outside to smoke (horrible habit, never start), grabbed a drink, called my wife, and come back inside to find the same person on the same turn. I don’t blame the system for this; I just know that it’s not the best group for my fellow players, despite how much I would enjoy it. So, to be more accurate than before, the most boring part of D&D and other RPGs is slow players.

Oofta

Legend
Unfortunately, I do mean 10 minutes for several of them to take their turns. I have many times gone to the bathroom, went outside to smoke (horrible habit, never start), grabbed a drink, called my wife, and come back inside to find the same person on the same turn. I don’t blame the system for this; I just know that it’s not the best group for my fellow players, despite how much I would enjoy it. So, to be more accurate than before, the most boring part of D&D and other RPGs is slow players.

We had a guy that my wife and I nicknamed "The Analyzer". Great guy, lots of fun out of combat but he was playing a paladin and would take forever to decide what to do on their turn. He'd start by asking questions, verifying the state of everything, stare at the minis, eventually throw up his hands and say "I guess I just attack". Like, dude, you're a paladin. Most of the time, attacking is what you do.

See also related: people who need to roll several dice on their turn and then insist on rolling one die at a time, having to roll each one in their hands for at least 30 seconds while whispering to them. Never let these people play a mid-to-high level hasted fighter with action surge and flaming weapon. :sleep:

Routine shopping. I usually try to have players handle that during downtime between sessions and if they have a question, DM me on discord. Notice I said routine shopping. Shopping with a plot purpose can be good. Trying to convince the bookstore owner to part with a book that has sentimental value and is essential to a quest? That’s interesting. Haggling to save a gold piece on weapons or armor? yawn

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
"frivolous roleplayng" roleplayng with no or only minimal stakes that aren't adancin the game state, thngs like spending the evenng at the tavern.
Shopping, and the even worse part selling heaps of junk for a few copper pieces when we have hundreds of gold pieces.
Some of the best moments I've had at the table came out of so-called frivolous roleplaying. To my mind, you are playing a character in an imaginary world. Limiting oneself to plot-related matters only is IMO missing out on many of the experiences' pleasures.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
We had a guy that my wife and I nicknamed "The Analyzer". Great guy, lots of fun out of combat but he was playing a paladin and would take forever to decide what to do on their turn. He'd start by asking questions, verifying the state of everything, stare at the minis, eventually throw up his hands and say "I guess I just attack". Like, dude, you're a paladin. Most of the time, attacking is what you do.
It's a bad habit a lot of folks need to be broken away from. They worry that by not doing the perfectly correct thing, they're letting everyone down, making the game worse, hurting the chances of success, etc., etc. And, unfortunately, the trend toward high-lethality, roll once to save or die, a single crit can kill you, minuscule HP, etc., etc. doesn't help matters at all. Because these folks are usually right in their belief that making a mistake can be deadly, not just for them but for other characters as well. When you know death lurks behind every corner except the super clever awesome plan that gives your team a huge advantage, you are encouraged to always look for the super clever awesome plan that gives your team a huge advantage....even when no such plan exists and you just have to use the basic tools you have and try to survive.

Unless and until you can simultaneously break such a player's fear of choosing "wrong" AND their deep-seated desire to choose what's "best," they'll keep doing this, even though it is detrimental to everyone at the table. Including them!

See also related: people who need to roll several dice on their turn and then insist on rolling one die at a time, having to roll each one in their hands for at least 30 seconds while whispering to them. Never let these people play a mid-to-high level hasted fighter with action surge and flaming weapon. :sleep:
Or a high-level elf rogue with Elven Accuracy, or a Wizard casting chain lightning, or...

Throwing fistfuls of dice isn't restricted to Fighters, and you'll almost certainly throw more as a Rogue or Wizard, since they don't require buffs nor equipment to activate.

Now imagine if Mike Mearls had gotten his way, and Proficiency was handled as Proficiency Dice rather than as a static score. So every one of those Fighter attack rolls would actually be 1d20+1d12 or whatever it was.

I'm getting a mental image of a cartoon little old lady paying for a grocery bill with pennies from a little coin purse. "One...two...three...four..."

Remove ads