What are the differences between 1e and 2e?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Biohazard said:
I agree that the names were changed due to political pressure. But it's inaccurate--nay, just plain dumb--to say that the beings previously referred to as "demons" and "devils" were *removed from the game*.

Well if we are going to get insulting, it is "just plain dumb" to have read my post to suggest that I was not aware that devils and demons were "translated" into pc-friendly versions (with lame new names, etc).

Do you have a problem with the concept of "hyperbole"? :\

It should have been clear I was mocking the "politically correct" or "sanitized" nature of 2E (with its removal of the assassin class, half-orcs, new names for demons and devils, etc.) ;)

Well another way to look at it is this: When the original first two Monstrous Compendiums were released, what were once called demons and devils were not included. You had to buy an appendix MC9 "The Outer Planes" to get them. Until the Monstrous Manual was released, for non-Planescape 2nd Edition games, they were effectively written out.

Imagine my confusion as a young 'un cracking open "The Shining South" for the first time and in one of the modules they have facing off against vrocks and glabrezu tanar'ri. First thing that pops into your head? "What the $*%@'s a 'tanar'ri?'"

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
francisca said:
That's, like, your opinion, man...

You preferred looking up whether you hit or not on a table and trying to figure out which of those 20s needed to be natural or could be achieved by rolling lower and using other to hit bonuses?

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Biohazard said:
I agree that the names were changed due to political pressure. But it's inaccurate--nay, just plain dumb--to say that the beings previously referred to as "demons" and "devils" were *removed from the game*.

The reason I put "demons" and "devils" in quotation marks in my original post, was because the WORDS were removed from the game. The need TSR felt to remove the words is what I'm criticizing.

R.A.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Particle_Man said:
A few points:

2) Monks were a core class in 1st ed, but were only a (frankly wimpy) Priest kit in 2nd ed.

The Complete Priest's monk wasn't all that great, but an old-school monk was revived in the Scarlet Brotherhood sourcebook near the end of 2nd edition, and Player's Option: Spells and Magic had a Monk Class that had martial arts, a few special abilities, and priest magic that I was quite fond of- I like it a lot better than the 3e monk, which just doesn't sit right with me for some reason...

Remove ads