• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the "True Issues" with 5e?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There are a lot of things they are thinking, and many different motivations behind change, it doesn't imply a true issue exists.
This is why I more or less only stated the stuff the designers stated were issues via their research.

1. DMG layout
  2. Subclass levels
  3. Lay of modules and variants for spending or investing treasure
  4. (New) Monster variety across CR in MM

Oofta

Legend
Any true issues people bring up in this thread will be shouted down, so I'm not really sure how productive it will be. Will be curious to see if any serious criticism passes the gauntlet. I can't say it would be the greatest surprise of my life, but it would certainly be up there.

Preemptive "Expressing a different opinion is shouting down" argument? While we're still in single digits of posting. Just lost another bet, I was sure it wouldn't come up until at least a post or two about people talking about how the issues raised aren't new, gave options to fix or actually disagreed with the OP.

There are a lot of things they are thinking, and many different motivations behind change, it doesn't imply a true issue exists.
Considering they've had nearly a decade of feedback, there's a lot more weight behind things they're changing as being legitimately things that needed fixing as opposed to random gripes from people on a forum.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think that for some tables, gold isn't a problem. After all, you are only limited by what you can imagine gold is useful for!

On the other hand, I do agree that 5e presents very few useful reasons within the game for gold to be spent. As a purely gamist reward mechanism, then, they may want to address this and at least provide compelling game reasons for it to be spent, and thus acquired.

Or maybe they'll save it for an expansion book. Leomund's Large Chest of Capitalism.

The monster CR/encounter building system is at best a guess. Whenever this criticism is brought up, it's usually dismissed because once you understand the system it's usually best to ignore it and I'd agree that was what I did once I was more comfortable with the system. The problem obviously is that's not very friendly to new DMs. It does sound like this is something they're going to look at for the 2024 books so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Preemptive "Expressing a different opinion is shouting down" argument? While we're still in single digits of posting. Just lost another bet, I was sure it wouldn't come up until at least a post or two about people talking about how the issues raised aren't new, gave options to fix or actually disagreed with the OP.
Absolutely. It's happened in nearly every single criticism thread I've ever seen. Often before the first page is even done.

Prove me wrong! I would love to be the bitter cynic who needs to learn that good still blossoms.

Remove ads