What boardgames are you playing in 2012?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've been playing lots and lots of Lords of Waterdeep, which is an exceptional Euro-style boardgame from Rodney Thompson and Peter Lee at Wizards - this game is really, really fun.

Apart from that, some Heroclix, Power Grid: The First Sparks, Merchants and Marauders, and Dungeon Petz.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've heard a lot of good stuff about this one. What would you compare it to?

Blackbeard, but done *much* better. It feels like a sandbox game: you can investigate rumours, go on missions, do regular trade between cities, prey on merchant ships or become a bounty hunter tracking down pirates.

One of my top 10 games - it's really, really good.

Inexperienced play is 45 minutes per player; experienced play halves the time.

Cheers,
Merric

Wycen

Explorer
Just in time for Merric's review, we played Lords of Waterdeep last night. I liked it and would play again. We wondered how balanced some of the goals were when some are worth 4 VP's and others are worth 25. And the Intrgue cards add a nice interaction factor you don't always see with Eurogames.

After that we played Qwirkle, which is on my list of games not to play, but oh well. Others played Mundus Novus again.

Fast Learner

First Post
Das Zepter! A bit too much math for the amount of fun for us to play it a lot, but we love it. Phoenicia dumbed it (or Outpost) down too much, eliminating the fun. I suspect there's something in-between that would make for an even better game.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Played three games of Heroclix last night. Tonight I've got Ikusa, Space Empires 4X, Lords of Waterdeep and Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards in the car, so we'll see what actually happens...

Cheers!

Remove ads