• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What book you think is a must have? -- ANY for D&D

Monsternomicon for clever, unique ideas for both monsters and adventures.

Manual of the Planes -- a great inspiring resource that makes you want[/] to get up and play Planescape, or something like it.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
I guess this is one of those rare opportunities where publishers can openly campaign for their products without shame. :)

Well, I'd like to recommend "The Hamlet of Thumble" to you. It is a 72-page adventure setting that includes:

1. a fully detailed hamlet (including stats for nearly 60 NPCs)
2. a short adventure (taking PCs from 1st- to 2nd-level)
3. three core classes (cavalier, shaman, and witch)
4. dozens of spells, feats, and skills
5. rules for reputation points, morale, and improvised weapons
6. tips for a GM (both new and experienced)

And more! You can get more information here:

http://www.openworldpress.com

It was released just a few weeks ago and is already one of the top 20 d20 products of all time, according to EN World:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews/top20.php?p=1&c=print

One reviewer here indeed described it as a "must have" d20 item and it has been selling very well.

Plug over.

I'd also recommend A Magical Medieval Society from Expeditious Retreat Press. There are great adventures from Necromancer Games, Troll Lord Games, Fantasy Flight Games, and Mystic Eye Games that you may want to check out as well.

The best resource is the review section right here at EN World!

Hjorimir

Adventurer
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe

Hands down the best DM support book I have ever seen in over 20 years of gaming. It is that good.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Midnight!

If you like dark, low magic settings, you can't possible go wrong with Midnight.

This book single handedly brought me back from the brink of DM Burnout. Now I can't wait to get to the gaming table.

My player: "I like the setting but.... it's FREAKIN HARD!"
Same player: "Great game! Lots of anxiety though."

Makes me fill all warm and fuzzy inside.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
The original Dungeons & Dragons (1974 edition). HA! I beat you to it, Diaglo!!!

Seriously,
I think it largely depends on what kind of campaign you are running. Obviously, if you are using a published campaign, then the sourcebook for that is a must-have. Beyond that, it's a wash.

For a city-based campaign, I have to highly recommend Bluffside:City on the Edge, for scads of inspiration and ideas. You could also add Freeport to that for even more ideas and locations. Having both would take out a ton of work for a city-based game.

Beyond that, I would agree with Psion (to an extent) -
Tome of Horrors - a great monster book, with lots of classic favorites.
Manual of the Planes - if you do any outer-planar stuff, you're going to want this.

I would also add in the Artificer's Handbook from Mystic Eye Games. Takes all the guesswork out of magic item creation. Way more intuitive than the DMG system, and way easier to use.

As a GM, there just are not that many books that I've used with any consistent regularity, though.

MoonRaven

First Post
Well, I'll cheat a little and say "ElfClash: Realm of Lanai" (by Khan's Press) as a campaign book, though it won't be out for a couple of months (ok, it's a shameless plug for my book, but it really will be excellent).
But for books out there...let's see...I haven't looked at 3.5 yet...hmm...I'd say that the Book of Challenges was decent, and I enjoyed most of the class sourcebooks from D&D (though I didn't think they gave enough attention to bards). Monsternomicon is decent as well...

Ran

First Post
I am back from the shadows!

I tried conecting to Enwolrd last night but haven't been able to get to it...

Anyway, I own Relics & Rituals, Manual of the Planes, Traps & Treachery, Book of Challenges, from those who were numbered here.

Midnight four rulebooks are going to be added to my library soon as birthday gift (what a gift) and I am looking to books that could give ideas and probably be used very much on the game.

I really understand the point on everything being a must if you like it, anyway i am looking to some advice and also to know more about what is out there...

I am not really sure I want another class/race/gods book, they are nice but I tend to prefer those books that are more general and useful in a longterm...

So far i am interested on the campaign "fluff" or great inspiring books kind, some that are to be considered (aside from the ones I own):

- Monsternomicon. what is in it? useful at every type of setting? interesting monsters? is it well made and with good pictures?

- Western europe: A Magical Medieval Society. What is it? What is IN it? how well done is it?

- Tome of Horrors, Monsters Handbook, Beyond Monks, Necromancer's Legacy what are those, never heard of them?

- Monsternomicon Tell me more plz!

- The Hamlet of Thumble you sure are right Ed Cha and it sounds very interesting, this was the kind of insight i was looking for, kinda of a teaser!

Anyway i don't usually buy adventures for I don't have enough money to afford a bad buy and also have players who read a lot, including downloading adventures on pdf with p2p, it makes adventures a kind of inspiration thing...

I would like to say too that I LOVE thieves and ow rogues, but class books and the like are too limited and now I am looking for a broader use book, anyway I own all class books from WotC, most are not very good and aside from one friend no one has ever wanted to play a psionic (I own the book, great one), except on old 2nd edition on Dark Sun...

Keep going, I would extend my list as this:

1. Midnight Setting - ideas, plots and a flavor unique to a low magic and dark setting.

2. Traps & Treachery - the book for rogues and to counter rogues, all things traps!

3. Manual of the Planes - it makes me want to play Planescape just by looking at it on my shelf...

4. Oriental Adventures - a very well designed book, the monsters give you lots of ideas and every section is a work of art!
-------

You may present your product, say what is the best d20 book (for D&D) that you have seen so far or just make a list, are the quintessential series better, just like or worse than WotC class books?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Just the Core Books but the important add-ons to me:

Monsternomicon - The best damn monster book out!
AEG Toolbox - It's about tables and they are so useful.
Airships - If you are going to have them in your game, this is the book for you.
Broadside - Sea battles!
Manual of the Planes - understanding of your game world begins with a cosmos.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*jaw drops* I can't believe it! You have not heard of TOME of Horrors?! Quite possibly the best collection of old school monsters on the face of the earth!? And with one a few bits of errata needed! :eek::eek: For shame! Tome of Horrors is the best around if you want a great and wide variety of monsters to use. Monster Handbook is also great for designing and also adding to existing monsters. Certainly I'm grateful that Psion recommended it to me. I got it and have used it on a fairly consistant basis.

I can honestly say I'd recommend every book on Psion's list, along with Bluffside and Freeport for some great city adventures. Plus I'd definately pick up all the GR fiend books. (Even though I agree with Psion, Legions is far superior to Armies.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads