D&D 5E What character generation method does your group use?

What character generation method does your group use?

• Standard method (4d6k3)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Optional method (27pts)

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Homebrew (everything else)

Votes: 18 27.7%

flametitan

Explorer
Roll, or use standard array if you dislike your roll.

Of course, it depends on the game. Some worlds are better suited to point buy, some are better suited to rolling.

ccs

41st lv DM
At my table each player gets to choose thier own method from the following:
4d6-1
Standard Array
Standard PB

*You do not get a say in what method anyone but you chooses.
*If you choose to roll, you will keep & play the results in good faith. There are no re-rolls. You chose to gamble with your stats knowing this upfront.

That said? All but 4 people have always chosen to roll.
2 people were new & used PB because they didn't realize rolling was an option.
1 guy was just in a hurry & used the array one time.
And another guy was enjoying a terrible streak of bad rolls & used PB rather than see what lady luck would give him.:)

I usually use 4d6k3 or 2d6+6... For my current game, I have 6 players. I had them generate 6 scores with 4d6k3, kept in order. I then built a 6x6 grid, & told them they could take any row, column, or diagonal as their stats.

GlassJaw

Hero
Do you treat it as effectively part of customisation: it's an array that can be reached through points buy so if a player is okay with it, why not take it?

There are some newer players in my group so I started with standard array to keep things simple. We just started a new campaign and I offered point-buy for those that were interested. When I'm helping a player make a character for the first time, I'll use standard array to illustrate how to prioritize stats. Most players grasp it fairly quickly and I'll explain point-buy if they want to customize at all.

You can also just as easily create a few arrays based on 27 point-buy and let the players choose the array they want.

Charlaquin1

First Post
I don’t understand the appeal of a lot of homebrew rolling methods. Somehow we’ve gone from 3d6, to 4d6 drop lowest, to some people even doing2d6 + 6. We’ve gone from roll one score for each ability in order, to roll in order but swap two scores once, to roll 6 scores and assign them to what ever abilities you like, to some people even rolling 7 scores, dropping the lowest, and assigning the remaining 6 to what ever abilities you like. And then there are other bet-hedging house rules like dropping any score lower than 7, or raising the highest stat to 15 if you don’t have any natural 15s it better, or discarding any set of stats with a total below a certain threshold. All these tweaks to reduce the variance seem to me to defeat the point of rolling stats in the first place.

Although I prefer point buy, I understand the appeal of rolled stats. The variance can lead you to play characters you might not otherwise consider. If you roll in order, it forces you to build your character around the stats, instead of building the stats around the character. There’s something charming about the idea of “let’s see what character the dice are going to give me!”, and it can be a fun role playing challenge to get landed with really oddball stats. Even if you assign the scores as you like, the potential for crazy high rolls and the risk of really low rolls is exciting, and it can be interesting to come up with narrative justifications for your 17 Int, 4 Wisdom Wizard or what have you. But the fun of that comes from the random chance.

I just don’t understand why, if you want to roll ability scores, you would want to reduce that random element. If the goal is to produce more balanced results, why not just use point buy? If the goal is to increase the chances of getting higher stats and producing more heroic characters, why not just use point buy with more points? If you want random stats, what is the value of intentionally limiting the variation?

Tormyr

Adventurer
I absolutely love the organic characters you get from rolling, especially rolling in order where yu get odd combonations to play with.

All of that said, the ASI vs. feat choice balance in 5e makes 5e a much better game mechanically with moderate starting stats and all of the characters int he same range. So much that I gladly give up rolling in order to enjoy the game system working well.

I always have my players use point buy for similar reasons, but if I did have the players roll for stats it would be 4d6 in order to see what interesting possibilities came up.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Standard Array, always. As much as the old school in me loves rolling stats, doing that there’s always going to be a bunch of people with nothing higher than a 14, and then one guy with an 18 that they swear they rolled fairly and nothing under 10.

I also like that that standard array method gives the player a tough choice as to what to do with that low stat, and the room for growth makes the choice of ASI vs. Feat more complex.

I was gonna write basically this exactly. Somebody beat me to it.

Remove ads