• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Class would be best?

laughinggas

First Post
Depends on what fighting style you choose and if you're looking more for damage or AC.

So there is no definitive which is better for a barbarian then?

I assume 1 hand a shield, especially since lvl 20 wont be reached, then a fighter dip would be better for the dueling fighting style for damage with a 1 hand weapon.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So there is no definitive which is better for a barbarian then?

I assume 1 hand a shield, especially since lvl 20 wont be reached, then a fighter dip would be better for the dueling fighting style for damage with a 1 hand weapon.
I would say for a pirate, thematically a 1 hand and no shield or two hand would be better. A shield would get in the way aboard ship. Does a shield stack with Unarmored defense? I haven't played a barbarian, sorry.

Or 2 weapon fighter for a half AC bonus.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Shield stacks with unarmored defense for barbarian, however, Great Weapon Master pairs so well with a barbarians reckless attack, that it's hard not to go with a two-hander.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I would say for a pirate, thematically a 1 hand and no shield or two hand would be better. A shield would get in the way aboard ship. Does a shield stack with Unarmored defense? I haven't played a barbarian, sorry.

Or 2 weapon fighter for a half AC bonus.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The Barbarian's Unarmored Defense explicitly includes shield benefits, whereas the Monk's version (despite having the same name) explicitly excludes it, so the answer is "depends on which class gave you the feature."
[MENTION=6841015]laughinggas[/MENTION]
I could see a shield (fluffed as a buckler) + sword (fluffed as a clutlass) working out alright. On the other hand, if you can persuade your DM to let you use the Mariner Fighting Style from UA (technically, it's only given to Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers, but it's also playtest stuff, so...) then that would be even better and would mesh very well with your concept: "As long as you are not wearing heavy armor or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus AC." That gives you half the benefit of a shield, lets you use a big two-handed weapon (I'd, again, fluff it as some kind of heavy cutlass), and ties more closely with your Barbarian-Pirate theme. Having a natural AC of 10+Dex+Con+1 with your stats, and being a Half-Orc, you'd get (presumably) AC 19 which is damned impressive at level 4. It's nice for if you have actual aquatic situations, since Unarmored Movement theoretically improves your swim speed indirectly.

As sated, you'd have terrible mental scores...but those sky-high physical scores, plus being a Barbarian, will make you a nasty force whenever it's time to throw down. And even when it's not, you'll be extremely sneaky (great dex, no armor penalties), acrobatic, and strong--all potentially very useful in the right kind of campaign. The Barbarian skill list kinda stinks, though, so you might also want to talk about a slightly tweaked Pirate background (e.g. trading the redundant Athletics for Intimidate, since the Pirate alternate feature is *specifically* about intimidating people and such.)

laughinggas

First Post
The Barbarian's Unarmored Defense explicitly includes shield benefits, whereas the Monk's version (despite having the same name) explicitly excludes it, so the answer is "depends on which class gave you the feature."
[MENTION=6841015]laughinggas[/MENTION]
I could see a shield (fluffed as a buckler) + sword (fluffed as a clutlass) working out alright. On the other hand, if you can persuade your DM to let you use the Mariner Fighting Style from UA (technically, it's only given to Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers, but it's also playtest stuff, so...) then that would be even better and would mesh very well with your concept: "As long as you are not wearing heavy armor or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus AC." That gives you half the benefit of a shield, lets you use a big two-handed weapon (I'd, again, fluff it as some kind of heavy cutlass), and ties more closely with your Barbarian-Pirate theme. Having a natural AC of 10+Dex+Con+1 with your stats, and being a Half-Orc, you'd get (presumably) AC 19 which is damned impressive at level 4. It's nice for if you have actual aquatic situations, since Unarmored Movement theoretically improves your swim speed indirectly.

As sated, you'd have terrible mental scores...but those sky-high physical scores, plus being a Barbarian, will make you a nasty force whenever it's time to throw down. And even when it's not, you'll be extremely sneaky (great dex, no armor penalties), acrobatic, and strong--all potentially very useful in the right kind of campaign. The Barbarian skill list kinda stinks, though, so you might also want to talk about a slightly tweaked Pirate background (e.g. trading the redundant Athletics for Intimidate, since the Pirate alternate feature is *specifically* about intimidating people and such.)

Actually, Half-orcs come with intimidate I believe! So I will have 5 skills to play with.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Actually, Half-orcs come with intimidate I believe! So I will have 5 skills to play with.

You're totally right--I'd forgotten. In that case, it would probably be good to pick up one useful Wis or Int skill, if you can. Presumably Perception or Nature. You'll never be amazing at it, but you'll start with a small positive modifier and slowly get better. Of course, it's always possible to gun for something like Thievery instead, double down on your strengths as it were, but given how...doubled down you already are, maybe that's not such a good plan :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads