D&D 5E What classes should be restricted?

What are the reasons why you would not want a class in your game?

• The class doesn't fit the game world setting

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • The class doesn't fit with what I think D&D is

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • There isn't enough of a historical precedence for it

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Too weird for me

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • Creates in game issues (balance, etc)

Votes: 84 58.3%
  • Introduces too much class bloat

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • The theme is counter to a heroic RPG (e.g. a class that is primarily an "evil" class)

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • It's a 3PP class, not an official one

Votes: 56 38.9%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't want to see it in the official game

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't care what others play, I just don't want them in my game

Votes: 42 29.2%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any of my games

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any official game

Votes: 12 8.3%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Dear god. I almost suggested bringing seconds, but I thought there was no way anyone else was as lame a child as I was and wouldn't get the reference.

I'll gladly fight Fenris420 with you at 3 and fight you myself at 4. Fenris69 will be my second.

I must warn you though, he plays a Ninja class he got from D&D Wiki and is so OP it's not even funny.
I will gladly accept your help. You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Be careful about conflating class and socio-economic role. A person with an Assassin class can be someone who kills stealthily for hire... or they may be dedicated to the defense of their people by being part of special forces deployed only at the word of their ruling council to end the life of terrible threats to their people.
Nod. "Assassin is evil" was a 1e thing, and doesn't apply to the 5e Assassin Rogue sub-class. It's just a bit of lingering versionitis, OT1H, and a (sub-)Class name-hang-up, on the other. I suppose it's also worth pointing out that a character need never be called by the game's name for it's class in the fiction? Your character might be a Noble Defender of the Queen's Own Grey Guard, and no one would ever dare call him a "rogue," let alone an "assassin."

I've played enough campaigns (usually Eberron) where the gods being real or not is irrelevant to the clerics. It's the characters' belief that exist and that doesn't require any specific class.
However, following the logic does that mean war does not exist because there are no warlords?
See, that's just getting hung-up on the name, like the above.

Rather, it means that partys without magical support don't exist...
...for long.

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend
In my worlds (and in my own mind), certain things are evil ispo facto. A man becomes contaminated with evil when he kills stealthily for hire or when he seeks to control that which should be dead. He may try to do many other fine things, but he has to repent of and turn away from assassination or necromancy in order to hope for redemption.

Any class can kill for hire. Hiring the party to deal with so-and-so is a pretty typical hook

An assassin can be an agent of the crown. James Bond license to kill style.

Animating dead is considered evil. A good necromancer is more of an undead fighter instead of an undead creator possibly atoning for a darker past.

Evil depends on actions and reasons. It's not inherent to a class just because the class is more capable of evil.

Rather, it means that partys without magical support don't exist...
...for long.

Moving the goal post ;-)

Your conment changes from clerics and gods to all classes with similar abilities through magic. That's your caster bias showing again. ;-)

When I've played non-magic campaigns the only real concern was treating status effects with medicine checks quickly.

Tallifer

Hero
Animating dead is considered evil. A good necromancer is more of an undead fighter instead of an undead creator possibly atoning for a darker past.
That sounds like the cleric class. Animating and controlling the undead is an evil act, so a class built around doing that is evil.

Ashrym

Legend
That sounds like the cleric class. Animating and controlling the undead is an evil act, so a class built around doing that is evil.

Until 5e a necromancer didn't even need to know animate dead. 5e gives it for free and buffs the undead but does not force using the spell.

You seem hung up on what you think the option should look like to you and missing what can be done.

At this point you are omitting them as evil but the only reason they are evil is because that's what you decided regardless of the PHB stating not all necromancers are evil.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I feel free to tailor races and classes to the setting, feeling no need to include all possible options.

I also tend not to like the idea of classes that not everyone has access to. This mostly comes from purchase-only 3pp. That goes double for ones I don't have access to.

And I will definitely not allow something that I feel is unbalanced, be it UA, 3pp, homebrew or whatever.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Until 5e a necromancer didn't even need to know animate dead. 5e gives it for free and buffs the undead but does not force using the spell.
Willfully passing up a sub-class benefit to maintain a non-evil alignment?

Feels a little off to me.
(Edit: to be clear, doing it doesn't feel off, needing to do it does.)

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I look at the 5e necromancer and think that it fits more as an evil (or at best neutral) subclass. If someone wanted to play a white necromancer, I'd probably look at alternate subclass features instead of the raising of the dead ability.

Remove ads