What did you study in college?

reelo

Hero
I have studied several years of archeology, main focus Middle East (Sumerian up to Late Babylonian), secondary focus European Prehistory, as well as Sumerian philology.
I didn't earn my degree, though, I got cold feet at the last minute. It was around the time things got serious with my gf (now wife) and I realized chances of employment were very slim, outside of academia.
I now work as a public servant, ground property tax. Money sure is better than as a freelance archeologist.
In hindsight, it was a great time, though mostly wasted on WoW and weed.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Wow, really? My great grandfather was a traditional boat builder and my grandfather a cooper before he joined the merchant marines. Amazing skill to have these days

Huh, interesting. I went to trad college for a year before dropping out and working construction/cabinetry for a couple of years, and then ended up out in Port Townsend, Washington at the school of wooden boatbuilding there. My grandfather was in the merchant marines, as well! During WWII.

Ryujin

Legend
Huh, interesting. I went to trad college for a year before dropping out and working construction/cabinetry for a couple of years, and then ended up out in Port Townsend, Washington at the school of wooden boatbuilding there. My grandfather was in the merchant marines, as well! During WWII.
Beautiful area. Seems like the perfect place to leave a skill like boat building.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
First degree focused on Greek and Roman history and archaeology, as I wanted to be paid to scuba dive off the coast of Greece. In grad school, I ended up studying Greek poetry because I can scuba dive if I want to in any case, and this lets me read and talk about ancient plays as well.

I love it, and am very fortunate that I get to make my living teaching the stuff.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Great topic, love the variety of backgrounds here.

For my undergraduate, I got a B.A. from the University of California at Berkeley in English with a Medieval Studies focus. Almost got a Minor in Celtic Studies, but didn't feel motivated to get the full requirements for that. I've worked in some odd jobs since then, but writing and communicating have always been vital skills.

After graduating right into an economic collapse at the tail end of the Bush administration, I pursued a few years of Studies in Philosophy and Theology with the Dominican Friars at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley. I didn't get a degree, but I learned to be Stoic about my life circumstances.

After several years of working in Silicon Valley in Customer Support, I'm just finishing up a remote study degree in Lobrary & Information Science from San Jose State University, and we'll see where that goes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases