What did you study in college?

Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in accounting (the equivalent of a 'major'), and while there were no 'minors' did a lot of economics as part of it. Also took as many linguistics courses as I could with the credit hours I didn't have to devote to business courses, for personal interest.

Since I'm a CPA, the degree was certainly useful career-wise. In fact an undergraduate degree was required to begin the (at the time) CA program. Business and commerce degrees are of course the most common, but I've worked with CPAs with degrees in math, chemistry, biology, and a number of other subjects.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Does being in the military count? I'm going to say it counts. Did that, and then on to college: film-making, and then switched to fine arts (drawing). I worked in and out of the comic book biz (co-writing, penciling, coloring, retail) for about 20 years. Now I work in printing, so not really putting any of that to use, per se.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay, it was quite some time ago that I went to university. I majored in CIS, which was Computer and Information Science - a slight twist on the usual CS degree. It also had very little room in terms of free credits, so as a intellectual challenge I looked at what could I fit in for a minor without taking any additional classes, and it was HR. Which ended up being a bunch of management classes that actually have stood me in good stead.

University of Minnesota, Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature. I was also like half a class shy of a minor in women’s studies, it’s been 20 years, I forget why I didn’t bother with that, think there was some additional bs to the minor I didn’t want to do, also didn’t really care about the field, just liked the classes. Which is how I ended up with the major as well. Just liked the classes so kept taking them and after three years added up what I’d been taking classes in, and discovered what my major was going to be. Senior thesis was on Mad Max trilogy.

Edit, I enjoyed it. I had the privilege of going to school casually, rather than say for a purpose and having to pay for it. Huge school, like third to Ohio State and Texas for undergrad population, but, as I said, I just took classes I wanted to so outside a couple obligatory credits needed, most of classes were under 20 people. I met some girls at fancy east coast schools online and visited them and sat in on some classes there, and, wow, was an order of magnitude better (Dartmouth, Cornell, Sarah Laurence) instruction, student engagement, and just everything. Those schools cost eye blindingly more than my state school, but just hungover crashing a handful of classes, was really impressed, and jealous.

Last edited:

briggart

Adventurer
I took the equivalent (I think) of master degree in physics, and then went on to get a PhD in physics, cosmology specifically. I definitely enjoyed university, both the subjects and the experience, even though I think it was very different from the US system. I'm still in academia, but I gradually focused more and more on data analysis, so my day job actually has more to do with numerical methods, linear algebra and stats rather than actual physics.

If I had to go back to college, I'd probably focus on origin of life, or human evolution/archeology.

Took three tries to get through my undergrad, but that let me get a major in biology along with minors in anthropology, economics, and computer science. Grad school went better and got an MBA and a masters (plus ABD into the PhD program, never to be completed) in Health Services Research. Kinda strange that it landed my in Healthcare information resource governance, but that's careers for you.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
did you work on anything famous? The names certainly appropriate
I can't speak to "famous", but I did a lot of work for Wildstorm and DC, some Marvel, IDW, Archie, BOOM!, and a sprinkling of other things. I stopped coloring due to burn-out; too many all-nighters, just to make enough money to get by. I miss the work, but I don't miss the job - and even with that said, my favorite work I did wasn't even coloring, it was developing pitches with other creators; collaborative creativity is my absolute sweet-spot - which is one of the reasons I love ttrpgs so much.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Well, right out of highschool I jumped in with both feet into an engineering program. I helped tutor other students in calculus in exchange for their notes from lectures, during which I often worked on my D&D campaigns. After a particularly boring hydraulics class, I started questioning why I wanted to do it.

I've always been an artist with a gift for math - torn in two directions. Too much of a dreamer to pay attention in class, but good enough at tests to get by. I'm also terrible at doing what I'm told.

I've always had this theory that personalities intermediate between the sciences and arts are drawn to gaming--you get to tell stories and create characters, but also use math and design systems.

Remove ads