What do I need to know about Ravenloft?

Rils

Explorer
As a generally new DM, what do I need to know about Ravenloft to run this season's AL adventures? I'm generally good on my Realms-lore, but not familiar with Ravenloft at all beyond "something about vampires". We're going to be kicking in with AL4-01 (Suits of the Mists) the first week in March, so any tips on how to kick it off well would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
This is a good start:

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/FAQs.html

Note that a number of things are described from a pre-5th edition perspective; we don't yet have a detailed understanding of how things are in the 5th edition time-frame.

Edit: For the benefit of a DM planning to run Season 4 mods, but who isn't going to dive deeply into the full lore of the campaign setting, focus on the following questions at that link:

I.1. What is Ravenloft?
I.4. What is a darklord?
I.11. What are the Mists?
I.12. How do you leave a domain?
II.People and Places.2. What are Outlanders?
II.People and Places.19. What do the common people of Ravenloft know?
Other Mysteries of the Mists.1. What are the Dark Powers?
Other Mysteries of the Mists.2. Who are the Vistani?

--
Pauper

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
The lore is less important than the mood you set. Horror (and especially gothic horror) requires just as much buy-in from the players as it does effort from the DM. Frankly, I have no idea how they intend to make it work for AL.

That said, here are a few things to try:

• Don't over-describe things. In order to engage the players' imaginations, you've got to leave things up to their imagination--and if you want the players afraid, you've got to let their imaginations do the heavy lifting. Describe a little and leave their need for understanding wanting more. Above all, do not let the players know what's out there. NEVER call a creature by its categorical name. A zombie is not frightening in D&D, but a scrabbling, stinking, groaning mass of rotting flesh might be.

• Don't try to frighten the PCs. Try to frighten the players through their PCs. Things like Horror checks (as Ravenloft traditionally employed) have their place, but if that place is emulating a character's fear, you're wasting their potential. Instead, you should be building on the penalties from such mechanics to feed into the external scenario such that things seem hopeless to the players for the character(s). That, combined with an Unknown around any corner will put the players in the right state of mind.

• Finally--and this is very important--be fair. Let your players see that you are rooting for them. In order for them to buy in, they've got to trust that you aren't just on a power trip, or being a jerk. This gives you the leeway to let the setting and its inhabitants truly be horrifying.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Based on 3e Ravenloft:

- Most things are normal and harmless.
- The bad and scary stuff likes to lurk in the background and/or hide in the shadows.
- Nightfall is typically the point when the villain(s) gain and hold the advantage; similarly the heroes have the advantage during daytime.
- The villain can be destroyed by exploiting his weakness - IF you can find out what it is. Of course he keeps such knowledge hidden, a deep dark secret - and slays those who find out before they can tell others.
- A rare soul will learn the secrets of power, not for himself, but to protect the Innocent from the power-hungry. When you meet one such, treasure the experience and try to keep him alive; he will come up with the esoteric knowledge you need to complete your quest, usually at the moment you least expect it.
- Great heroes and great villains have a story dominated by the power of emotions.
- Good and Evil both exist, there are shades of grey but the moral slope heads towards the extremes not the middle.
- The traditional gods do not answer prayers in a visible manner. They may be the still small voice that pierces the silence, but most often a person is on his own to make moral judgments / decisions.

Read some classic horror stories, and have your PCs do so as well: Mary Shelly "Frankenstein's Monster", Bram Stoker's "Dracula", Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven". "The Fall of the House of Usher". Original "The Phantom of the Opera" (not the musical). Do this to help get into the mood.
Watch the black-and-white movie versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolfman.

Borrow the 3e Ravenloft guide from the library and look through it for inspiration.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Also keep in mind people are very provincial in Ravenloft. Most Barovians dont even know that other domains exist. It might be a family legend that a great great uncle once escaped into the mist and was never seen again.

Thus most people you meet will be quite insular. Generally this would mean they wouldnt deal with those who are 'different'. Physical differences being the first and most important proof that someone is Cursed. Imagine if all you have ever know are the Wolves that live outside the village and all the humans you live with : A Green scaled Dragonborn turns up. You would freak the hell out and certainly run them out of town.

When I ran Ravenloft I tended to play up this fear of 'new people'. It took my players a long time to get some townsfolk to tolerate them.

Fear/distrust of Other runs strong in Barovia. I had a player who is playing a tiefling bard on purpose. Pretty much no one is willing to talk to him as he is either a monster or is cursed.

Rils

Explorer
Do we know - are the AL modules "regular" sorts of modules with Ravenloft as essentially window-dressing, or are they written differently / include guidance on how to give them that real Ravenloft flavor? Another way to ask the question - are they written in such a way to evoke Ravenloft, or are they Realms adventures simply set against gothic backwoods/castle? (Skerrit, looking at you specifically... :cool:)

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Rils: Only a few of us know (Im not one of them) and that is those from Winter Fantasy. Do I think tonally the scenarios that were Expeditions will be different? I think we will get more slight horror elements but Im really not sure. I think come March we will all be hit with the scenarios and its gonna be up to us to decide.

Do we know - are the AL modules "regular" sorts of modules with Ravenloft as essentially window-dressing, or are they written differently / include guidance on how to give them that real Ravenloft flavor? Another way to ask the question - are they written in such a way to evoke Ravenloft, or are they Realms adventures simply set against gothic backwoods/castle? (Skerrit, looking at you specifically... :cool:)

They are significantly more Ravenloft. More horror, fear, questions of morality, tough choices, less high magic. While a small portion of the Moonsea comes with the PCs into Barovia, the characters main home base for the season (the village of Orasnou) is in Barovia. The season is also a much tighter story. For example, I just ran 4-4 last night and it takes place the morning after 4-3. NPCs are talking about what just happened, and their opinion of the PCs is based somewhat on what they did or did not do in 4-3. The after affects of 4-3 are clearly visible and affect how 4-4 starts. If your PC is new to the village at this time, you are walking into this backdrop. If you played 4-3, you were the people directly involved and NPCs treat you accordingly.

For this season at least, things will be different than the previous four.

Remove ads