D&D (2024) What do we call One D&D?

Which Acronym?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
A playtest. That's all.

Once the playtest is over, the new books published, and we've had a good look at it, then you all can fight over the semantics of what the published rules should be called. Personally, I find it a rather pointless and unnecessary endeavor to define the the playtest as anything but a playtest.

I wish they just called it "5e 2", but that would have required acknowledging that 5e is called "5e" by everyone outside of WotC, who use the term but rarely.

5.5 seems like something 3.X veterans will gravitate towards but I wasn't part of that scene and unless everyone else gets on that bandwagon and the term becomes ubiquitous it has no draw to me. There is no clear reason, without the creators calling it that, to call it 5.5 rather than 5.1, 5.2, or any other software-style versioning other than that ".5" was nomenclature for 3.5. If the edition that comes after OneD&D also more rejiggering rather than the typical "whole new game masquerading as a new edition" model, then what is it supposed to be called? 5.5.5e?

I'll probably call it the 2024 edition when I need to distinguish it from 2014 5e.

Or I'll just call it wrong when it relates to a change I disagree with.

Last edited:

That's disappointing.

While, yes, I do think there should be a few more opportunities to select feats; I very much enjoyed background features being a distinct character-building step that functioned in its own way.

I'm seeing a lot of reports that people "forget" their features. I believe that. But it's odd to me because I find a lot of the features to be interesting and useful.
Half of them seem to just amount to free room and board, of limited consequence after the early levels, and what I find is that because most of them are of very limited use those that could be of greater use (such as the Outlander's Wanderer feature) tend to get construed narrowly by most DMs to not be as useful as they could be.

I think they are a neat idea, but I also think they are a serious barrier to people being able to construct a custom background without having system mastery or a lot of time to spend. Background feats kind of are too, incidentally, but at least those end up rewarding the effort with a mechanically impactful ability rather than a ribbon ability meant to help you get into character.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I mean, outside of the Forum world, WotC mostly succeeded on having people just call 5E "D&D" plain and simple. If they keep the trade dress and logo, and keep on just calling it D&D...the can probably keep that up. Same as Monopoly or Settlers of Catan, despite Edition shifts for those games.
I don't know. All the people in my gaming circle (none of which hang in any forum/Discord/Reddit/etc) call it either "la quinta" (the fifth) or "5e".

This poll really should include "ONE D&D" as an option.

ONE D&D really doesn't feel that long. I had to press seven keys including the spacebar. (Eight if you included the shift for caps).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I mean, outside of the Forum world, WotC mostly succeeded on having people just call 5E "D&D" plain and simple. If they keep the trade dress and logo, and keep on just calling it D&D...the can probably keep that up. Same as Monopoly or Settlers of Catan, despite Edition shifts for those games.
People have always called the current edition of D&D just "D&D." Or like how World of Warcraft is only referred to by its overall name most of the time--e.g. "Do you play WoW?"--even though the current expansion is always the most relevant part of the game. Same for any other MMO.

It is the brand that matters in most discussions.

Remove ads