D&D 5E What do we hope to see in the DMG?

delericho

Legend
Options, lots of options.

Ideally, amongst other thing, something along the lines of 3e's "Unearthed Arcana" or, even better, the third chapter in Pathfinder's "Ultimate Campaign" - campaign modules you can use to season the game to taste.

If "Orc & Pie" is the default mode of D&D gameplay, I want a wide variety of choices for side dishes. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
I am not so interested in alternate rules as much as I am in additional rules.

High on my list are the rules for running mid-large groups of monsters (different from mass combat rules), chase rules, turn-based exploration rules (updated from the playtest), and possibly any other additional stuff related to the non-combat phases of the game.

That list looks good to me. Domain management would be a good are of non-combat rules to explore.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm hoping for...

• a collection of damage recovery modifications
  • City population generation system (i've loved them since I encountered Rolemaster's), but with suggestions on how to tweak it.
  • Random dungeon generation
Anything else is just gratis.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I hope it includes most of what is found in pathfinder's ultimate campaign book. Infact the future of me running 5e depends on this, pathfinder has everything I could ever want for a million years of playing, ultimate campaign blew up the scope of pathfinder so much it's hard to even comprehend, so if 5e does it better then i'll be one happy camper.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I think a few people are setting themselves up for disappointment...unless the DMG is a 400-page behemoth!

I want to see solid battle-mat combat options that can be freely mixed-and-matched with the existing totm combat described in the PHB, so that the only time the battle-mat needs to come out is for major opponents or more sophisticated environments.

I would like to see the 5E designers' take on skill challenges. Not a re-tread of 4E's arguably difficult rules, but a framework for complex, multi-action group problem solving. (To be fair it's about five minutes' work to conjure something up already, but I'd still like to hear a few ideas from the pro's.)

Like [MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION], I want to see alternative ways to run large combats without a grid: swarms, the equivalent of 4E's minions, that kind of thing.

Monster building rules are an absolute must. I'm surprised they weren't an Appendix in the MM actually (they weren't, right?).

I *don't* want too many pages given over to alternative campaign settings or their races. Seriously, what justice can be done to them in a few pages? But, I can see the value in continued integration of D&D's many worlds into the DMG, as it was in the PHB.

I *don't* want alternate spell systems. That would just make the DMG a splat book by another name.

sgtscott658

First Post
I do hope that WoTC includes an option for DM's to veto platemail wearing Wizards IE a player takes a couple of levels of fighter then multi-classes into Wizard, now that Wizard can wear heavy armor and cast spells. Look at the bottom of page 201 casting spells in Armor, if you are proficient in the use of armor you can cast spells without penalty. In 3E there was a chance of spell spell failure, in 1E even if you had levels of fighter, casting armor was a no go. Of course in my campaign, it is still a no go to wear armor as a wizard even if you are proficient in the use of armor.

I also hope the DMG gives more choices for skill's and customization for the PHB classes because in the PHB, the freedom to choose is seriously lacking.

Scott

Remove ads