What do you eat for a typical breakfast?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tea.

Sometimes a couple of slices of vegemite toast.
OK, I just found a place not too far from me that sells vegemite. I’ve considered getting some. Ive heard it’s more savory than spreads of similar appearance & texture; that a little goes a long way.

What’s it like?

Zardnaar

Legend
I used to love a big hearty breakfast (like biscuits and gravy or a complete English breakfast!) Though now that im over 40 I can hardly handle anything bigger than a bowl of cereal or yogurt, granola, and fruit. I just feel like crap for the entire day if I have lots of meat and bread for first meal.

I couldn't do it when young.

Dining out I avoid the English big breakfast, McDonald's breakfast pass.

When younger spent 6 weeks on army base. Week one cooked breakfast. Next 5 weeks cereal, yoghurt, fruit.

It's salty, pungent, maybe a bit like soy sauce/mushrooms with a hint of cheese notes? Tons of umami. I really like the stuff, though indeed, you only need a thin shmeer.

If you've had nutritional yeast flakes, its a lot like that stuff.

OK, I just found a place not too far from me that sells vegemite. I’ve considered getting some. Ive heard it’s more savory than spreads of similar appearance & texture; that a little goes a long way.

What’s it like?

DrunkonDuty

he/him

What’s it like?

Salty. Very salty. Goes well with sourdough.

Here's a diagram and instructions to help you eat it without making yourself... unhappy.

(In case the link doesn't work:
Hot toast required.
Plenty of butter (or margarine.)
As a beginner, only use a fine scraping of vegemite.
Enjoy while the toast is still hot.)

Goes really well with avocado, cheese, and other fatty things. You can also use it as stock for soups, stews, and what not.

Go for it! And let us know what you think. Maybe even a video of your first taste...

EDIT: Just watched Zardnaar's video. Those poor people did everything wrong. Cold toast. No butter.. no butter! Who ever their Aussie mate is did them no favours. My method requires that I have the butter and vegemite open and standing by the toaster. I slap the butter and vegemite on as fast as possible and eat it while still hot. Hell, the second slice goes back into the toaster to reheat it because I find it cools too much in the time it takes me to eat the first slice.

TLDR: eat it hot and buttery.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The Secret History of Marmite/Vegemite

Once upon a time in the 19th century Marmite was invented. Allegedly as a byproduct of brewing in reality it was because they couldn't really tell the difference between the beer and what became Marmite in Britain.

This was at the height of the British Empire. The world was full of British people who would do anything for Queen and country. Except live there. The dominions decided to duplicate marmite.

Settled by criminals the Australians decided to create a local variant of Marmite known as Vegemite. Probably something to do with the heat. And kangaroos.

Not to be out done New Zealand decided to make their own version of Marmite with exclusive distribution rights in Australasia. Mostly so one could say God awful in 3 different accents. The NZ variety was also put on West Bix another knock off of another terrible product from the UK.

So the various dominions suffered under the yoke of various mite's until WW1 which lead to the the great mite shortage of 1914-18. Founded as Britain's farm NZ exported all their Marmite to support the war effort while the Aussies also sent all of their Vegemite to the UK.

The British discovered it was great motivation for the troops. You could go over the top or be force fed Marmite or Vegemite. The ANZAC troops had the choice of force feeding or land at Gallipoli.

Since the soldiers would rather get shot at than eat it as it turns out the British amassed a large surplus. They decided to use it as a secret ingredient in mustard gas shells.

Conventual history says the Tank played a big role in the defeat of Germany. It wasn't they test fired a few Marmite/Vegemite infused shells and the German army promptly collapsed. Thus ended the Great War.

The problem was all the left over shells. They were stored where it didn't really matter if they went off and close to where they were needed. In a top secret operation they were buried in the Paris catacombs.

War broke out in 1939 again and they examined the shells and as it turned out the Mites had not degraded in anyway. The stuff doesn't really go off. It was estimated that it would take around a year to ready then for action.

France collapsed before they were ready and before they were captured by the Nazis the French did the world a favor and hid the shells.

Post liberation before the war ended it was considered to drop them on the Germans it Japanese. The information leaked however and the mad Austrian shot himself and the Japanese threw in the towel.

Churchill wanted to use them in Operation Unthinkable but the Americans vetoed the plan on humanitarian plans. Even the Americans didn't want to do that to the Soviets.

The WW1 stock was finally destroyed in nuclear testing in the South Pacific. They loaded up the Prinz Eugen and detonated a nuclear bomb. They had to do it far away from major population centres and they couldn't get to the moon yet.

And there it remains to this day infused with radiation mutating. Like a ticking time bomb should it ever leak.

Over successive generations some inhabitants of the UK, Australia and NZ have developed an immunity to the power of the various mite's. Some even think it tastes good. This is why UK food has the reputation it does.

Some say the Aussies are even working on new WMD out there in the outback involving Vegemite and kangaroos. No one knows the outback is very large.

Americans were smarter. They banned the importation of Marmite and Vegemite until 1980. Even then they only allowed it with the intention to study it incase the Vegemite Bomb is ever perfected.

Zardnaar

Legend
I love reading all these! Thanks everyone for posting.

I forgot to mention that sometimes on weekends, I will treat my wife and I to Blueberry Pancakes, following a recipe I found online a million years ago. It makes the fluffiest pancakes, so I wanted to share the recipe with everyone! For our international folks, I've translated the wagon-train-era measurements into standard measurements. I used online conversion charts, so I have no idea if that's how it's usually listed! Note that it's called Todd's Famous Blueberry Pancakes, but my name is Kevin, not Todd.

Todd's Famous Blueberry Pancakes
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
1 tablespoon (14 g) baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) sugar
1 egg
1 cup (240 mL) milk
A thick slice of butter, melted (around 1/2 - 1 tablespoons)
1/2 cup - 1 cup (around 200 mL?) blueberries, chocolate chips, walnuts, bananas, or other delicious ingredients

1. In a large bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk.
3. Stir the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients.
4. Mix in the melted butter, and fold in the blueberries (or other ingredients).
5. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Scoop out about 1/4 cup (60 mL) of batter for each pancake; brown the batter on both sides.

I'm gonna give these a shot tonight replacing the blueberries with peaches or canned mixed berries.

Serving it with churro ice cream and maple syrup.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Due to an odd chain of events, we’ve wound up with an unusually large amount of Popeye’s fried chicken in our fridge. So I’ve had leftover fried chicken for breakfast or brunch for 2 days now. But not necessarily as just warmed up crispy yardbird.

Instead, I took one breast and deboned it. While I was doing so, I put a piece of thick artisan pita from a local farmer in the toaster oven to give it a bit of color hand warmth. When it came out, I topped it with a drizzle of katsup, a drizzle of yellow mustard, and a helping of dill relish. Meanwhile the shredded chicken got 30 seconds in the microwave.

That warmed chicken was piled up atop the prepped pita, which was then folded like an oversized taco.

I forgot to add the romaine or baby spinach I had intended to put on it, but it was still tasty. It was at least as good as most fried chicken sandwiches I’ve had (but for my faves).

Remove ads