• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you miss from the D&D Next playtest?

Oh, and another packet (don't remember which one) you got +1 to an ability score from your race and +1 from your class. This allowed a bit more flexibility in making characters, since you would always get +1 to a primary ability for the class (fighter got +1 Con, IIRC).

That sounds really good. Makes a lot of sense that training in a class would give a boost in its prime stat. Also as you refferd to, allows for less punishing flexibity in race/class combos.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I remember making a zen archer using the monk class - and it worked. I forget what the rules differences were, but that got locked down in one of the later playtest packets.

Wulffolk

Explorer
There were many different packets, each with different things. IMO the best packet was the second one, where fighters and rogues got skill dice, wizards were still Vancian (instead of spell slots, prepared spells were lost when cast, and you could prepare the same spell multiple times), and the cleric was the type of caster we have now. The rogue's skill dice were useful for doing skill stuff, and sneak attack (which was badly done), and the fighter had combat maneuvers. Sub-classes weren't a thing, since the dice maneuvers and spells allowed a lot of customization. The skills had a skill point system that was interesting, but I think the proficiency system is overall better.

One of the later packets got rid of skills, except for various lore skills. While the method of using the lore skills was crap, I actually like the idea of those lore skills. I tried to incorporate them in as a houserule, but they needed to match up to the tool proficiency, as they were much less useful than full skills. With the expansion of tool use in XGtE, I think I'll fold them into various existing tools and skill, but I'll probably have to add a few tools to fill in a few things.

Oh, and another packet (don't remember which one) you got +1 to an ability score from your race and +1 from your class. This allowed a bit more flexibility in making characters, since you would always get +1 to a primary ability for the class (fighter got +1 Con, IIRC).

Thanks for the info. There is some interesting stuff there

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I wonder if there could be a market for a book of ''alternative'' features for D&D 5e for players and Dm created from the playtest stuff that didnt make it, polished and released as variant. Like the Willpower Point sorcerer, the Skill Dice rogues, the Maneuver Fighter etc.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I got to play a Monk (maybe for Isle of Dread) that could create a Fire cone with ki points but had no way to use ki for physical exploits. I think it became the basis for Way of Four Elements. It didn't feel very 'Monk-y' but provided a surprise to drop on Team Monster.

I also played a Dwarf pseudo-Barbarian (but with armor) in Caves of Chaos. I rashly put on a suit of +1 Plate Armor (which was better than my mundane chain) decorated with symbols of Asmodeus, and only later wondered if I had set myself up for a nasty surprise. From this I concluded that the Magic Items rules were not yet ready. I did get the chance to infiltrate the Chaos-worshipping congregation and generally cause confusion.

oreofox

Explorer
I liked the ability score increases from the classes, and have implemented them in my setting (while removing the ones from the races).

There were class features that got removed that I thought weren't too bad. Can't remember exactly what they were.

Remove ads