• Magic item crafting

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Subclass crafting

Votes: 84 53.2%
  • Other

Votes: 42 26.6%

Ichneumon

First Post
The upcoming 5e Dungeon Master's Guide promises to offer a plethora of options for customising your D&D game just the way you want it. Here I'm asking which options you need the DMG to provide for your gaming group. If you don't have a group, pick options that fit your desired game style.

By 'need', I mean 'required to run the style of game we want to play', rather than 'happy to see it there'. So, for example, if you like the lingering wounds option but doubt it will ever be used at your table, leave it unchecked.

I checked "other" because I hope we get to see a module for action resolution in combat that is more like 2E, instead of the "final fantasy tactics" style of turn-based action resolution. One cannot deny the simplicity of the time mechanics used by 3E and its successors, but I miss the fluid nature of pre-3E action resolution.

Shiroiken

Legend
I picked Other because my game needs none of those things. If they have things I want (like a lingering wounds system, alternate healing, etc), that's awesome, but by no means required. There are going to be things I don't like (such as the current weapons previewed so far), but I can live with most of those. If anything is totally unacceptable (unlikely) I can always house-rule it until the DMG comes out (or beyond if it's not included).

LFK

First Post
What the DMG really, really, really needs is a solid understanding of the game systems, how they function, and why. Why are monsters built the way they are, and how do changes alter that? What should the flow of information look like, and what are the most common blind spots? What are the boundaries of the system? What are the system's default assumptions? What does the ideal adventure look like?

Raith5

Adventurer
I like most of these things. I think the legacy system for PCs will be a space for consideration (if not in PHB).

There are a lot of things I would like to see in the game that can wait for another book later on - things detailed rules for Mass combat and realm management.

Out of interest: what would a 1e or 2e module specifically encompass?

steenan

Adventurer
The first and most important thing I expect from the DMG is a clear description of the intended playstyle and the assumptions the game is based on. An answer to the question "Ok - so as a GM, what do I do in this game?". Something like the GM principles in Dungeon World.

If 5e really supports multiple playstyles, I want to know how to customize the game for each of them. And I don't really mean optional rule pieces here. More on how to prepare adventures (including what to prepare, what to improvise and what to ask players about), what setting elements to include or not include, what to focus on when playing NPCs and so on.

The third part is NPC/monster math and short analysis of how different abilities and powers affect play. With DMG in hand, I want to be able to create an NPC that really can play the role I intend for them. And, depending on the playstyle, the role can be setting defined ("He's a gang leader and is able to keep this band of sneaky bastards in control"), story defined ("I want him problematic enough and powerful enough that he can't be ignored, but not evil enough that killing him is the obvious solution") or tactics defined ("I want him to work well with minions and to exploit inefficient teamwork between PCs").

And finally, I want the DMG to have a lot of examples. I want to see how the authors intended various pieces of mechanics to be used.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I really like this thread, and love the options that you put into it. With the options I selected you could run anything from a board-game like dungeon crawl, to a simulationist world building campaign. I think I might get half of what I want from the DMG, but have high hopes they will add splat books that give me the rest of the options. I think I will get a lot more from 5e than 3e or 4e, so I am really looking forward to it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This is a very interesting list for me, mainly because of the large number of options I am not concerned to have. However mud I like certain previous editions, I don't need rules to help me bring them into a new game; I actually don't want them there. Same with FATE points -- I've played a lot of FATE in the past few years, but if I want that dynamic, I'm just going to do it.

For me, what is most needed are guidelines for crafting new races/subclasses and ensuring they are balanced. I see subclasses mentioned, but monstrous races would be nice too -- a few pages explaining the math, and serving as a pre-emptive barrier against power creep. Beyond that, I want to play the game that I've seen.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Give me the fate point thing so my (very creative) players can feel like they're helping craft the story as well as keeping me on my toes.

Give me the fear/horror thing so I can go back to Ravenloft right away.

Give me mass battles and realm management so I can take a look at my lapsed high-level PBEM.

Give me magic item crafting so the wizard can build stuff like the wizard player knows the character ought to be able to.

And give me subclass crafting so my (very creative) players can find a class that they're 100% comfortable with.

Actually, give me the rest, too, but those are the "modules" I really want, and why. :)

Remove ads