D&D (2024) What do you think of the new rules for preparing spells?

Tying the spells to slots on a per level basis is an absurd constraint that adds nothing of value and boils down to saving them a column for "total spells prepared" on the character level grid. It isn't making anything simpler; it is making things needlessly more stressful and complicated. It's needlessly bringing back a bit of old Vancian accounting without any reason or justification. It is the dumbest aspect of 5.5 revealed thus far by a country mile, and the only remote saving grace (the only reason I might even still bother with an addition that insists on that and so far adds so little of value) is that it is at least easy to houserule around.

I also take it as indicative of WotC's misguided belief that top level simplicity invariably equals accessibility. Yes it is fewer columns in a grid, but that doesn't make anything easier, any more than having one Arcane list than making Bards dig out their spells from it by school makes anything easier.

Fortunately I have a solution. I will simply mention in a survey that they could, potentially, base spells prepared on Proficiency Bonus somehow instead, and while I doubt anything else I said would even really be given a second thought I'm confident that WotC's mad infatuation with the PB means that any stray mention of a new way to use it will be the only thing discussed at WotC headquarters that day. The PHB could already be in production and they'd stop the presses.

I kind of like divorcing the spells you can prepare from ability score. Playing a caster with a mediocre casting stat is punishment enough without also limiting their spells prepared. But there's no reason that such a change should have anything to do with spell slots.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I strongly dislike it. The only thing that I can say in its favor, is that new players often get confused between slots and number of prepared spells, at least IME.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I was hoping we were moving away from spell prep in its entirety, but apparently it's going to be everywhere, like when you dog rolls in it's own leavings and runs through your house.

glass

(he, him)
It’s definitely easier. It just isn’t easier in a way that matters. Anyone who can play D&D can add (half for half casters) their level and their ability mod to see how many spells they can cast.

But yeah, “here’s a table that shows what spell levels you have the ability to cast, and how many you can cast. The number you can prepare is the same as the number of spell slots you have for that level”, is technically easier.
Looking up N numbers, where N is 1+, and choosing N sets of spells is easier than looking up one number (or just trivially calculating it) and choosing that number of spells? I don't think so.

I strongly dislike it. The only thing that I can say in its favor, is that new players often get confused between slots and number of prepared spells, at least IME.
And making the two (still independent) things use the same number is going to make it less confusing? Again, I don't think so.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Looking up N numbers, where N is 1+, and choosing N sets of spells is easier than looking up one number (or just trivially calculating it) and choosing that number of spells? I don't think so.
Yes. It’s easier.
And making the two (still independent) things use the same number is going to make it less confusing?
Yes. They’re quite closely related. You can prepare 1 spell per number of spell slots. You now have 1 set of numbers. You literally just look at the Spellcasting page of your character sheet and see “3 first levels, 2 second levels,…” and you prepare those numbers of spells.

Remove ads