• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever BAD

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania GOOD

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania BAD

Votes: 20 18.2%

Stalker0

Legend
Also, after the amazing world-building they did with Wakanda in the first Black Panther movie, while they didn't exactly drop the ball on it this time, they didn't really add much to it either.
I actually think the world building in WF is better frankly. We had nations calling out Wakanda for not doing enough around the world, we had Wakanda dealing with foreign forces and spies and keeping their secrets in check, you actually saw governmental agencies reacting to the world order that Wakanda brought with its reveal.

So perhaps its less world-building, than world-connecting. I liked that T'Chala's choice to reveal Wakanda wasn't just a "oh this happened, and we move on" thing. It has real world implications for both the world and Wakanda, some good, some bad. The movie actually gave them more than just quick lip service and I appreciated that, as it happens way too often in MCU movies that are all supposed to be about this connected universe.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I agree that the world building in WF was good. The production design was lovely. Really enjoyed the look of Atlantis.

Where it failed was with the plot. They missed out by not using the Contessa as the villain who manipulated the events from behind the scenes. The whole Riri Williams sub-plot was a waste of time. Shuri's character arc was confused too.

I'd hoped for much better.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Part of the problem is that they're falling into the trap everyone else's universe-building does: Riri is going to be important in the future (they are clearly setting up a Young Avengers/Champions team in future, even if none of the movies are called that), but sometimes, we get cameos as guest appearances in the meantime that are just ... there.

They're getting to the point where they have a pretty deep bench of these characters, so hopefully we won't be seeing a lot more of that in future.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Part of the problem is that they're falling into the trap everyone else's universe-building does: Riri is going to be important in the future (they are clearly setting up a Young Avengers/Champions set-up in future, even if none of the movies are called that), but sometimes, we get cameos are guest appearances in the meantime that are just ... there.

They're getting to the point where they have a pretty deep bench of these characters, so hopefully we won't be seeing a lot more of that in future.

Yeah, I didn't object to Ironheart, and this didn't seem to be a terrible place to introduce her, but its hard to argue she really brought anything useful to the story. As depicted the character wasn't interesting enough in this context to justify the time taken.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I get that they wanted to introduce the character. But they dedicated, what, 30 - 45 minutes of their runtime to it? In a movie where they also had to introduce Namor and the whole of Atlantis. Plus farewell Chadwick Boseman. Plus tell a damn story.

Hulk, Ironman, Thor, and Cap; they all got individual movies to intro them. No reason Iron Heart couldn't have gotten one of her own. They could have name dropped Riri Williams as an Easter egg and left the actual introduction for another movie.

MarkB

Legend
Introducing characters for future movies is something Marvel has plenty of experience with, to varying degrees of success, so they should be good at it by now. Civil War managed to introduce both T'Challa and Spider-man in an already crowded movie and did it seamlessly. There's no good reason they should be dropping the ball on it now.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Introducing characters for future movies is something Marvel has plenty of experience with, to varying degrees of success, so they should be good at it by now. Civil War managed to introduce both T'Challa and Spider-man in an already crowded movie and did it seamlessly. There's no good reason they should be dropping the ball on it now.

The reason is probably the same as any number of things that are similar: Nobody bats a thousand. As DrunkonDuty says above, they already had a busy movie and one more element was just too much to give the attention it needed. And they probably thought this was the best place to do it.

Voadam

Legend
The reason is probably the same as any number of things that are similar: Nobody bats a thousand. As DrunkonDuty says above, they already had a busy movie and one more element was just too much to give the attention it needed. And they probably thought this was the best place to do it.
This seems to be a bit of a theme lately.

Love and Thunder combines the Killer of the Gods storyline from the comics with the Lady Thor comics storyline. Lady Thor with Jane's Cancer, Becoming Lady Thor, Being Lady Thor, and Dying, would probably have been a much better arc as its own dedicated movie or series. Instead it is a bit of a tertiary storyline in Love and Thunder behind the big storylines of the now comedy protagonist Thor and the villain Gorr.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
This seems to be a bit of a theme lately.

Love and Thunder combines the Killer of the Gods storyline from the comics with the Lady Thor comics storyline. Lady Thor with Jane's Cancer, Becoming Lady Thor, Being Lady Thor, and Dying, would probably have been a much better arc as its own dedicated movie. Instead it is a bit of a tertiary storyline in Love and Thunder behind the big storylines of the now comedy protagonist Thor and the villain Gorr.

While I understand the position, I think that was the least of LaT's problems, where the Ironheart part was the only real issue I had with Wakanda Forever.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases