D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is why i think we will see more distinct wood elves, at least. I could see high elves being "just play an eladrin, bro", because what even makes high elves interesting at all? But wood elves are narratively distinct enough to merit getting something like the wood elf magic feat baked in, or something like that.
High Elves are awesome, with that Giah energy. But for both, folding those Feats in to a full Rave writeup makes a lot of sense. Probably also Gnomes, as they did with the Deep Gnome.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
High Elves are awesome, with that Giah energy. But for both, folding those Feats in to a full Rave writeup makes a lot of sense. Probably also Gnomes, as they did with the Deep Gnome.
As long as they do like they did with the deep gnome, and word it in such a way that the feat is still viable, not invalidated.

Which isn't hard. Granting extra uses of spells you get via your race, and extra benefits with them, is a perfectly good format for a feat.

Because the abilities are now all player-choice "lineage" design, there is no longer a reason for separate elf races.

Every elf can be one elf race, with a player choice of a level-2 spell or level 1 plus cantrip; plus swapable Darkvision (which I consider a powerful cantrip or level 1 spell).

The writeup can say members of an elf community often share from the same assemblage of typical spells and cantrips. But individuals might vary.

So, using the same race stats, a High community might tend to choose Misty Step, while a Udadrow community might choose Darkness. And so on. The mutability of potentially other spells is a known elven quality.

No. They won't go that far. Not all races in MotM got the lineage treatment. I don't know how you get to that logical conclusion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
what is the 'lineage treatment' I think I missed something
See the Races from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. They were called "Lineages," and not "Races." The difference seems to either be thst they were thinking about replacing "Race" with "Lineage" entirely, or because they could be used to replace a Race on an existing character (say your Dwarf get mummified or bites by a vampire).

At any rate, "Lineage" only appeared as a game term in Tasha's and Ravenloft, Rave came back since then.

See the Races from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. They were called "Lineages," and not "Races." The difference seems to either be thst they were thinking about replacing "Race" with "Lineage" entirely, or because they could be used to replace a Race on an existing character (say your Dwarf get mummified or bites by a vampire).

At any rate, "Lineage" only appeared as a game term in Tasha's and Ravenloft, Rave came back since then.
okay. I like the idea. I just had this crazy concept to play a mix of Arcangle from Xmen with hawman.woman useing the reborn

edit: Reborn owlfolk still keep there fly speed that I can refluff as metal wings

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Firstly, I hope they have the discipline to not actually make a 5.5. I am strongly of the opinion that 3.5, while a fine game in its own right*, was a terrible revision of 3.0 (too many small-medium changes for an incremental revision, not enough big changes to really fix much of significance).

With that out of the way, I am quite sure they will ditch race in favour of some other term (hopefully "species", but probably "ancestry" or "lineage"). Aside from that, I hope they make a few minor tweaks but nothing too unmanageable, and add some new content (a Warlord would be nice). An index would be nice, too.

Most of all, I hope they do not break backwards compatibility too badly, if only because that would break compatibility with A5e too.

_
glass.

(* Albeit not without issues, of course.)

One wishful expectation : the disappearance of the bonus action!
Ha…. No more wait at the end of the turn of every players, waiting his deep thinking about how he can spend his bonus action. Deliver us from the bonus action!
other then wasteing time, is there a reason. I like the 2 not equal action mechnics... I can use it to make an off hand attack or quicken a spell... but I cant do both

other then wasteing time, is there a reason. I like the 2 not equal action mechnics... I can use it to make an off hand attack or quicken a spell... but I cant do both
Aside waiting, it is the idea of meaningful action. Give PCs spells and features that worth an action or a reaction to use. For example second wind can be make as a more shinny feature that allow drastic return. Spiritual weapon can be made more valuable on casting and on reuse as an action. it would certainly help maintain player focus on what there gonna do in their round,
The rogue may be the only exception to allow juggling with many smaller options like it is sometime show in fantasy.

Remove ads