D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Tasha's and Xanathar's are going to be in the bundle along with the updated monster manual II combining Volo's and Mordekainen's.

This is a big clue that they are considering both Tasha's and Xanathar's to be part of "5.5" and won't be made redundant or obsolete.

They wouldn't announce an upcoming revision and then push 2 older books out along with their first revised rulebook without intending those books to continue to be used.

To me that indicates that the level of changes they're going to make are more minor than many here are hoping for or possibly expecting. If they were more drastic we would see changes to Xanathar's and Tasha's in other words.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah that is a good homebrew but I think you also need some hombrew spells burning blade frost backlash (I guess infernal wraith helps) and my favorite Incendiary sword (throw sword it hits ground and explodes then reforms in hand) are all good ones.
I’m a big fan of “throw sword, do AoE, sword reforms” spells.

Nebulous

Legend
Tasha's and Xanathar's are going to be in the bundle along with the updated monster manual II combining Volo's and Mordekainen's.

This is a big clue that they are considering both Tasha's and Xanathar's to be part of "5.5" and won't be made redundant or obsolete.

They wouldn't announce an upcoming revision and then push 2 older books out along with their first revised rulebook without intending those books to continue to be used.

To me that indicates that the level of changes they're going to make are more minor than many here are hoping for or possibly expecting. If they were more drastic we would see changes to Xanathar's and Tasha's in other words.
Good point. They wouldn't make such sweeping changes so soon that would invalidate recent books. I do think it will be minor and far less than the 3.0 to 3.5 transition. Whenever they announce 6e I think they're going to come out and say it.

Good point. They wouldn't make such sweeping changes so soon that would invalidate recent books. I do think it will be minor and far less than the 3.0 to 3.5 transition. Whenever they announce 6e I think they're going to come out and say it.
Except they made some fairly significant changes - and I expect that the 10th/50th edition will take those changes. It's less severe than 3.0 to 3.5 because that cash grab was designed to break backwards compatibility. Changes I expect:
  • An updated monster manual to match or iterate on the Monsters of the Multiverse format, making it far easier for DMs to run
  • PC Races changing to match the new format (including without the stat modifiers)
  • The Tasha's ranger and the Tasha's beastmaster companions to be made the official version.
  • Many of the other optional features from Tasha's classes to be made core
  • A balance pass over the big lists of things that aren't actually getting used (the bottom third of feats, invocations, battle master maneuvers, and spells) and possibly the top few percent. Also pulling some things in from Tasha's and Xanathar's and more
  • Possibly reworking warlocks, fighters, and monks because they seem to be deprecating short rests. (fighters are easy - prof times/day; ki and warlock spells are harder)
  • Class tweaks
    • General subclasses overhauled: Champion Fighter, Berserker Barbarian, Assassin Rogue, Transmuter Wizard, War Cleric
    • Warlock: Pact of the Blade rework, and alternatives to Eldritch Blast (I recommend each subclass getting a variant - which would allow buffing the Archfey and Great Old One). Pact of the Talisman becoming core
    • Sorcerer - more spells known for the subclasses (again as with Tasha's)

Yaarel

He Mage
I think there is a huge difference in being able to bluff and being able to mimic someone. Skill checks are not automatic and I don't think most DMs would allow a player without the feat to mimic someone's speech to his closest friends or his wife for example and if they did it would be an insanely high DC. This feat does that and gives a mechanic for it which is a lot easier to pass.

Further in the game with the changeling I am talking about, he did not blow his slot, he chose it and it comes up nearly every session, it is fun and it is downright awesome in combat against any kind of organized humanoids. Literally on a dungeon crawl right now, eliminating a clan of Dueregar. We clear one room, he impersonates one of the people in it or the Lieutneant and he goes into the next room. He scouts it out and then we whisper to him for the layout. He positions himself or sometimes even starts ordering others around in unfavorable positions, put down their weapons and help him with this...... Then we go in and kill them. He orders them around in battle too (at least until he attacks). Rinse and repeat. He is a Warlock and I think it is far more effective than if he took the ASI or really any other feat I can think of.

Is it kind of cheesy spamming it like this? Yeah kind of, but so is GWM or SS or any other combat-related feat.
The value here is the special combo, visually shapeshifting plus the feat to mimic voice.

The feat by itself has a different value.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yet I think they might call it a 6E, but emphasize continuity, as with most other games like Call of Crhulu.
Tbh, calling it 6e seems like a wild choice, to me. I don’t think they will.

But as long as I can just keep using my current stuff, don’t have to rewrite all my homebrew for it to work with the new stuff, etc, I don’t really care that much.

What would I like to see? a unified setting from the PHB that allows for specific spells, races, weapons, etc. That's it. Then create a bunch more settings. And in the beginning of each setting make it clear to players these rules, spells, races, etc. are for this setting.

Then in the DMG have a generic setting. One that uses everything. This way, at least there is more of a "table vote" as to what type of game will be played.

The only reason I would buy it is if they changed the art direction to something I found more interesting. Otherwise, I assume there will be an SRD, which should cover most rule changes and such.

What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?
want:
a ground up rewrite called 6e. I want 4e merged with 5e with some brand new ideas.

expect:
they will ride the fence and not call it 5.5 or6 (but we will call it one or the other) it will have new updated race/linage rules (not exactly what we got in tasha's or multiverse... but that is the base, and they will expand on it over the next few years) and class modifications (no idea how but the surveys already show this) I bet feats will see full overhauls.

halfway between want/expect I think/hope spells and concentration are adjusted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases