D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
All I'm expecting for changes are:
- Original classes/subclasses tweaked to be in line with more recent ones (for example, using proficiency bonus in place of ability modifier, and abilities getting one free use before consuming resources).
- Races adhering to the new format
- Maybe some particular good/bad spells adjusted

What I'd like to see in addition is:
- Sorcerer and Monk subclass abilities modified so they don't consume base class resources (Sorcery Points and Ki, respectively)
- Everybody starts with one feat, and Humans somehow made a more compelling choice.
- Feats all rebalanced and given +1 ASI
- Inspiration officially moved to being used after the roll, not before

I'll stick with my post from 5 months ago.

delericho

Legend
As time goes on my wish-list gradually increases.

I'm reasonably happy with most of the PHB as-is. I think there are a lot of fairly minor tweaks that it could benefit from, but they are minor - little trims that would just make the game that bit better. My major wish here is that whatever they do to address problematic material in the books they get done. That may be tricky, as I suspect it's a bit of a moving target, but I really don't want to see drow being revised in 2024, then again in 2025, 2026, and so on.

Likewise, I'm reasonably happy with the MM as-is. The major thing here is sorting out the spellcasting trait (and similar) - ideally, everything you need to run a monster would be right there with the monster statblock. The only other things I would do would be to move the tables from Appendix B of the DMG (monster lists) and also the Monster Features table from p280 (creating a monster) into the MM. (Indeed, every 'monster' book should really contain a version of that table for the monsters it includes, to empower DMs who are creating their own monsters.)

But it's the DMG where I would really like to see changes. Although I rated (and, actually, still rate) the 5e version as the best of the DMGs across the editions, I've been shocked at how little use I've made of it over the years - treasure tables and magic items, creating a monster, and that's it. The rest of it is very superficial - it covers a lot of ground but is surprisingly short on detail.

So I'd like that book considerably altered - at the very list there should be many many more pages of traps. But ideally I'd also like to see a much more in-depth discussion of types of adventures (treasure hunt, mystery, heist, extended pursuit...) with a breakdown of each; node maps for short, medium, and long adventures of various types, 1-2 page spreads on a variety of environments (desert, mountain, forest) so that each has a couple of big, noticeable features that means that all 'desert' adventures have some similarities and also feel different from 'mountain' adventures. And so on.

What I expect: actually, I'm inclined to think I'll more or less get my wishes on the PHB and MM, in that I expect fairly minor tweaks. I'm not expecting much from the new DMG - potentially the same book with new artwork. I certainly don't expect them to include anything from Xanathar's or Tasha's to be in the new core, nor do I expect the new core to do anything that breaks compatibility with those books - the Gift Set appears to be a sign of things to come, so I'd expect us still to be using it.

And I'd be okay with that - my absolute minimum is much better binding and a much better index, and surely they must be able to manage at least that?

I think all your guesses are likely, but deprecating short rests would be a MAJOR shift enough to call it another half edition at least.

It might seem easy to just think that everywhere it says "you can't do this again until you complete a short rest" change it to "you can do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per day". That's ok for single special abilities but what about big stuff like regaining all of a Monk's ki points, a Battlemaster's superiority dice or a Warlock's spells slots? They can't get away with a "reset button" that would break suspension of disbelief for large swathes of the gamer base, so they would have to define what does it take to gain those back: one action is still way too gamist, for a reasonable narrative it will need to be at the very least an amount of time that prevents regaining in the middle of combat. But then, 10 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour... you're back to having short rests at most with some discount. And short rests are alread "dialable" if you want them shorter.

Actually, if the battlemaster regains their superiority dice prof bonus times per long rest (probably by spending an action or 1 minute of refocussing), it would make them more balanced. Same for action points or second wind.

Now you can actually afford going nova as a battlemaster and still be able to contribute in the fight thereafter.
Also at low levels, only 2 fights per day seems common enough that you are coming out net positive.

You can do the same for warlocks and monks. 1 action (or minute) refocus prof times per day would allow those classes to be up and running after a short time after combat, so once again, they should come out net positive. While only having 3 ki points per day, being able to spend 2 points, using 1 to dodge and your action to refocus, then spend 3 again, using one action to refocus allows a level 2 monk to effectively be twice as durable.
At level 10 the tradeoff will even be better.

Actually I might introduce it before 5AE hits the table and test it.

And I don't think it is too gamist, using a refocus action/minute/10 minute.

Tasha's and Xanathar's are going to be in the bundle along with the updated monster manual II combining Volo's and Mordekainen's.

This is a big clue that they are considering both Tasha's and Xanathar's to be part of "5.5" and won't be made redundant or obsolete.

They wouldn't announce an upcoming revision and then push 2 older books out along with their first revised rulebook without intending those books to continue to be used.

To me that indicates that the level of changes they're going to make are more minor than many here are hoping for or possibly expecting. If they were more drastic we would see changes to Xanathar's and Tasha's in other words.
I actually see it the other way. Tasha's and Xanathar's are being bundled and discounted because they are about to be made redundant. This is the "going out of business sale" for those two books. That's why the 2024 revisions were announced at the same time as the bundle. It was WotC giving us a heads up that theses books will be outdated in 2 years.

Last edited:

I think we have a huge hole (one they try to fill with eldritch knight and bladesinger) in the way of a 1/2 arcane caster like paladin or ranger and Swordmage is perfect fit. but you need some cross over spells with wizard, but some JUST swordmage spells
Yeah my biggest wish for 5.5e is the swordmage. Closely followed by the warlord.

Objectively I think we need the warlord more. But the swordmage is my favourite class.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I think it would be very cool if they could somehow re-use artwork from the old editions' PHB's, DMG's, and MM's.

--and pay those artists again!

trampier-rakshasa1.jpg

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
WANT

• Warlord Class
  • Scholar Class
  • Fighter, Ranger,Paladin get onus fighting style extra to high mental score (INT for Fighter, WIS for Ranger, CHA for Paladin)
  • Spells for Hunter and Beastmaster ranger
  • STR based Monk rules
  • DEX based Barbarian rules
  • Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear
  • Hybrid races
    • Mul (half human half dwarf)
    • Quarterling (half human half halfling)
    • Koboldborn (Half kobold half dragonborn)
EXPECT
  • New race rules and traits
  • Orc
  • Kobold
  • Tasha updates to classes
  • More base feats

Alby87

Adventurer
I actually see it the other way. Tasha's and Xanathar's are being bundled and discounted because they are about to be made redundant. This is the "going out of business sale" for those two books. That's why the 2024 revisions were announced at the same time as the bundle. It was WotC giving us a heads up that theses books will be outdated in 2 years.
This means that what MotM did to VGM and MTOF will be done by another "compilation book" with just the subclasses, the new spells and new magic items, once the new PHB with the option and artificier class is out, and all the DM stuff goes to the new DMG? Not a far stretched call, I have to say :/

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
WANT

• Warlord Class
  • Scholar Class
  • Fighter, Ranger,Paladin get onus fighting style extra to high mental score (INT for Fighter, WIS for Ranger, CHA for Paladin)
  • Spells for Hunter and Beastmaster ranger
  • STR based Monk rules
  • DEX based Barbarian rules
  • Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear
  • Hybrid races
    • Mul (half human half dwarf)
    • Quarterling (half human half halfling)
    • Koboldborn (Half kobold half dragonborn)
I didn't know that I wanted most of these things until now.

Are "koboldborn" as a D&D race discussed anywhere?

Gustavo R

Villager
I think I'm the only one who doesn't want hundreds of classes and races. :)

I want something simple, strong, and with room for infinite possibilities.
I would like to see fewer classes (something between 5 and 8), but with more variables. Specific traits can be explored in subclasses (ranger and barbarian can be fighter subclasses, for example).
I hope to see more online tools to complement the books. Something like online character sheets, official soundtracks, progression trees, and custom character creation for your appearance, etc.

Remove ads