• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance What do you want from a Dragonlance 5e?

What do i want? Couple things.

Points of light type setting. Evil is onbthe march and winning. Its gotta feel like troubled and desperate times.

Respect the setting. No tiefling, dragonborn orcs....it shouldnt have everything.

Charts and motives ofvthe queen and her various dragon lords plans and motives. Including cross purpose ones.

I want it to mostly focus on the war of the Lance. But i dont mind have other eras in it

Tony Vargas

Legend
I mean, they were right in the thread. It would fit into Dragonlance well
Martial concepts not handled well by core 5e, like the Warlord, fit into a wide range of settings, just as those actually supp- well, those with full classes - like the Fighter or Rogue do, because, they're martial, they're not dependent on a given fantasy world's take on magic or the like. Heck, they fit fairly well in historical contexts, too.

Be happy I didn't bring my "Half the background stuff in Dragonlance doesn't even work from a logical perspective and it would genuinely be a better place if someone killed most of the gods there" argument
How much logic does fantasy really demand, anyway?
And it sounds like the DL gods & mortals were both to blame...

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Martial concepts not handled well by core 5e, like the Warlord, fit into a wide range of settings, just as those actually supp- well, those with full classes - like the Fighter or Rogue do, because, they're martial, they're not dependent on a given fantasy world's take on magic or the like. Heck, they fit fairly well in historical contexts, too.
I mean, 5E handles it well enough per the Battlemaster and Mastermind (The PDK being a cause of not handling it too well), but the earlier posts and a few of DL's peculiarities would mesh well with the concept

And it sounds like the DL gods & mortals were both to blame...
It was entirely the god's fault.

"Hey, this madman is doing a totalitarian thought-crime regime that is unmistakably not a good thing. Let's call it good because alignment arguments, cause an apocalypse as no one was able to overthrow him, and then blame mortals for us not stepping in earlier to stop this. Also we're gonna leave when called out on this. Boy, good thing we can throw people out of this reality before someone pulls an Athas, achieves apotheosis, and makes themselves the new immortal god-kings, because they'd win a popularity contest unquestionably after that one"

Tony Vargas

Legend
I mean, 5E handles it well enough per the Battlemaster and Mastermind (The PDK being a cause of not handling it too well), but the earlier posts and a few of DL's peculiarities would mesh well with the concept
...for values of 'well enough' that would accept a GOO Warlock handles Psionicists 'well enough' and an AT with the Sage background handles Wizard, 'well enough,' sure. ;P
The PDK is conceptually on-target for one very specific concept, but quite narrow and strongly tied to a specific place/time in a setting - it'd've been ideal as a PrC.

It was entirely the god's fault.

"Hey, this madman is doing a totalitarian thought-crime regime that is unmistakably not a good thing. Let's call it good because alignment arguments, cause an apocalypse as no one was able to overthrow him, and then blame mortals for us not stepping in earlier to stop this. Also we're gonna leave when called out on this. Boy, good thing we can throw people out of this reality before someone pulls an Athas, achieves apotheosis, and makes themselves the new immortal god-kings, because they'd win a popularity contest unquestionably after that one"
OK, now I'm picturing refugees from Athas turning back from Krynn...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Captain would be perfect for DL on many levels, not just the "good place to bring back the warlord" and the "needs a battlefield commander".

It's a setting that delves deeply into people inspiring other people. Not by applying weird Heart magic, or whatever, but by being an inspiring person and then striving heroically for a worthy cause. There are characters in the Chronicles who simply are that, and others who are a mix of that and warrior, knight, whatever.

And the concept has a level of potential mechanical depth on par with all of the other classes. It can range from the warlord/commander/whatever, to the star wars saga style inspiring or revolutionary noble.

Hussar

Legend
Heh. It's funny watching folks judge Krynn's gods based on modern POV's. I mean, compared to the Old Testament, Krynn's gods are down right warm and fuzzy.

That was the point of the Cataclysm. This wasn't your "turn the other cheek, being a god is a popularity contest" style pantheon. This was the old Testament, fire and brimstone, do what you're bloody well told or be turned into a smoking crater sort of pantheon. This isn't Forgotten Realms where the gods depend on their worshippers and are forced to bow down to mortals or lose their power. This is the whole, raw, 10 Commandments style pantheon where straying from the Word gets you smitten.

Personally, I kinda like that take on dieties. Greyhawk has multiple examples of mortals ascending, so, that's cool. Forgotten Realms gods rely on their followers to maintain their positions. Krynn gods are neither ascended mortals nor beholden in any way to their worshippers. And it shows. It's one of the primary areas that sets DL apart from every other setting. It makes the setting really unique.

But, I can totally understand why some folks have a real problem with it conceptually.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
This is the whole, raw, 10 Commandments style pantheon where straying from the Word gets you smitten.
Correcting the caricature of IRL that you present, will require a website that does do religion and politics. So here I shall say only "Don't be a jerk. "

Remove ads