What does "compatible" mean to you? +

Reynard

Legend
NOTE: You will see that this thread is posted in the TTRPG General forum. it is here for a reason. I am not interested in arguing about 1D&D being compatible with 5E. This thread is about compatibility in general -- between editions of games, and between separate but related games.

With that out of the way:

What does "compatible" mean to you in the context of RPG materials? Does it mean "seamlessly useful"? Does it mean "minimal conversion"? Does it mean "close enough is good enough"?

For example, if you bought an adventure module labeled as "compatible with" your favorite RPG, what would your expectations before for the game related information presented within (stat blocks and challenges and such)? Would your expectations be different for different kinds of products -- a monster manual versus a rules supplement, for example.

Generally "compatible with" translates to "little or no conversion effort" for me. Which of the two depends on the specific statement: if "compatible with" lists a specific game, I expect no conversion effort; if it's listing a family of games, then minimal conversion effort is ok.

Reynard

Legend
There’s also a distinction to be made with “backwards compatible” which is a specific subset of compatible.
"Forward compatible" too. As in, the difference between "the new edition of StarMongers will allow you to use all your previous StarMongers books!" and "new StarMongers adventures will be usable with the previous edition's core rules!"

Reynard

Legend
Generally "compatible with" translates to "little or no conversion effort" for me. Which of the two depends on the specific statement: if "compatible with" lists a specific game, I expect no conversion effort; if it's listing a family of games, then minimal conversion effort is ok.
Like the difference between "Compatible with Call of Cthulhu" versus "Compatible with BRP games"?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Compatible means if you use a different system, things should still work without having to put a lot of effort into it. What qualifies as “a lot of effort” will depend on the nature of the effort and how much help you get. If it’s using an OSR adventure with another system that provides a replacement combat matrix for the monsters, that’s probably still compatible even though the numbers and possibly even the mechanics are different.

From the player side of things, if you can use characters built with different systems or editions together, and whatever system is actually being run seems familiar to everyone, then it seems like those games should be consider compatible with each other.

aco175

Legend
I feel it means that I do not have to do much work to make it play with the game it says. For example, I do not think D&D 5e material is compatible with 4e or 3e material. I might be able to take an adventure and be able to play the game, but I would need to convert all the monsters and abilities to the edition long with spells and items. It might take me longer than to just make an adventure myself.

Might have the same name, but not be compatible.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
To me, compatible means no work required, as in drag and drop, as in just use it as written. Like how Dungeon Crawl Classics and Mutant Crawl Classics are 100% compatible with each other. Any rules, races, classes, gear, modules, etc can be used as is for either game with no tweaking.

But, as with everything, it’s a spectrum. Stuff for B/X is compatible with OSE. You might need to flip the AC and swap THAC0 to attack mod. It’s minimal work to be sure, but it’s still work. AD&D stuff is a bit more work, adjust the AC scale, fiddle with damage, and tweak hit points. On up to vaguely similar games like 4E. Then you hit real conversion with completely other systems.

Remove ads