• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What does your dream 4e Monster Manual contain?

delericho

Legend
I would drop all 'named' and unique creatures (so, no Orcus, Demogorgon, or Tarrasque). These creatures are of extremely limited utility, and so shouldn't take up valuable space in the core rulebooks.

I would include ready-to-use dragons for all the major kinds... but I would also reduce the number of distinct types to no more than seven (Black, Blue, Green, Red, White, Gold, Silver).

I would include Aspects. I would reduce the number of Outsiders in general, though. And I would vastly increase the number of high-CR opponents that are not outsiders.

Oh, and I'd probably not include any templates in the first Monster Manual.

RavinRay

Explorer
Shade said:
OK, assuming that the 4E Monster Manual follows the similar approach to the 3E and 3.5 MM, and that its' contents will be the bulk of what is available for 3rd-party publishers to use, what would you most like to see within?

Here's mine.
I like your list, O Master Monster Junkie, and agree with it for the most part. Here is where I differ. I might add to my list later.

Aboleth

Couatl

Energon, Xag-Ya
Energon, Xeg-Yi

Githyanki
Githzerai

Hippocampus
Hook Horror

Lammasu

Mind Flayer
Mind Flayer, Elder Brain
Mind Flayer, Ulitharid

Modron, Base, Monodrone
Modron, Base, Duodrone
Modron, Base, Tridrone
Modron, Base, Quadrone
Modron, Base, Pentadrone
Modron, Hierarch, Decaton
Modron, Hierarch, Nonaton
Modron, Hierarch, Octon
Modron, Hierarch, Septon
Modron, Hierarch, Hexton
Modron, Hierarch, Quinton
Modron, Hierarch, Quarton
Modron, Hierarch, Tertian
Modron, Hierarch, Secundus
Modron, Primus

Seahorse, Giant
Shedu

Templates:
Entomanothrope

I like it that all the genie are in one book (it was a travesty to separate the dao and marid), and you included the paraelementals. I struck out the psionic monsters because I felt it is only fair they should come out only after psionics is introduced (via a psionics book or the Players Handbook II). You already omitted yuan-ti. Good call on the alignment exemplars, and instead of the formians the modrons should be in instead (especially since you have the slaadi). Likewise, the energons as prime representatives of the energy planes should be included. The lammasu and shedu should be in as classic mythological creatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads