• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What exactly is a D&D Warlock?

zhouluyi

First Post
Hi there,
First let me explain a bit why I'm questioning this. I live in Brazil and here I translate most of the class and power names to make it easier for my players... previously, Warlock was translated as "Bruxo" (witch in portuguese, the official translation also uses that term), but now with Heroes of the Feywild I have to find a new name to fit the Warlock, as the Witch is the real owner. And know I need to grasp the Warlock concept to find a term that suits it.

All the following already are translated (my choices not official): Wizard (mágico), Mage (mago), Sorcerer (feiticeiro), Invoker (invocador), Witch (bruxa), Binder (amarrador), and so on.

The only remaining unused term that is related to magic is Ocultista (Occultist in portuguese), I think is somewhat related to the Warlock, as it is someone that dabbles with occult powers and dark forces, also the terms occultist and occult was never used in D&D and I guess it will never will (to avoid obvious misconceptions). But I think it still misses a bit of striker attitude of the Warlock. I could just use the term Pactuante (pact maker), but that term also fells incomplete (also, will every Warlock always make pacts?). A last resort would be to treat Warlock as a proper or created name (as Eladrin, Drow, Tiefling, Halfling, Berserker, etc) and leave it untranslated, but I don't like that choice very much.

Can you give me any insights on how an Warlock is viewed in the D&D universe, or how "correct" and good are my choices of Ocultista (occultist) or Pactuante (pact maker).

PS: Is it just me or the new Heroes of the Feywild abandoned the new Essentials style (used on HotFL, HotFK and HoS)? Just one big table telling how many powers per level, no class characteristics popping up every other level, and so on? The Essential style Fighters have NO daily powers... not ONE. The Thief has new characterists popping up at almost every level.

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
The only remaining unused term that is related to magic is Ocultista (Occultist in portuguese), I think is somewhat related to the Warlock, as it is someone that dabbles with occult powers and dark forces, also the terms occultist and occult was never used in D&D and I guess it will never will (to avoid obvious misconceptions).
Google translate also gave feiticeiro as a possible translation.

I could just use the term Pactuante (pact maker), but that term also fells incomplete (also, will every Warlock always make pacts?).
I like pactuante the best, because a warlock's power is based on pacts.

PS: Is it just me or the new Heroes of the Feywild abandoned the new Essentials style (used on HotFL, HotFK and HoS)?
That's correct.

Wepwawet

Explorer
All the following already are translated (my choices not official): Wizard (mágico), Mage (mago), Sorcerer (feiticeiro), Invoker (invocador), Witch (bruxa), Binder (amarrador), and so on.

The only remaining unused term that is related to magic is Ocultista (Occultist in portuguese), I think is somewhat related to the Warlock, as it is someone that dabbles with occult powers and dark forces, also the terms occultist and occult was never used in D&D and I guess it will never will (to avoid obvious misconceptions). But I think it still misses a bit of striker attitude of the Warlock. I could just use the term Pactuante (pact maker), but that term also fells incomplete (also, will every Warlock always make pacts?). A last resort would be to treat Warlock as a proper or created name (as Eladrin, Drow, Tiefling, Halfling, Berserker, etc) and leave it untranslated, but I don't like that choice very much.

First of all, I'm portuguese and I have to say "Pactuante" (although describing the main schtick of the Warlock) is too long and doesn't, you know, roll well IMHO.
But I like your approach of using the pact as a way of defining the class.
How about including the warlock pact in the name? One for each pact.
... unfortunately I can't think of anything other than Demonista/Demonologista/Infernalista (Infernal Pact), Astrólogo (Star pact) and Animista (Fey pact)... Which admittedly aren't that good :blush:

zhouluyi

First Post
Google translate also gave feiticeiro as a possible translation.
Feiticeiro is a possible translation, but feiticeiro is the direct translation of sorcerer, so it is already taken.

Actually if you go to a dictionary you see mago, feiticeiro, bruxo, etc, all as synonyms. The thing is that some works more directly correlate than others. Like a conjurer would be a "conjurador", not a "feiticeiro".

Wizard is also problematic as is also means sorcerer or mage. The official translation in Brazil uses Wizard as 'Mago', but there is no official translation of the Essentials series, so I have no idea what they would do with the Mage. I personally translate wizard as 'mágico' (someone who uses magic), and use 'Mago' for 'Mage' (Mago also evokes the idea of a magic scholar) as there is a more direct correlation. 'Mágico' is a direct translation of magician, but since magician is unlikely to be used (magician in derived from mage so it would be confusing) I can safely use 'mágico'.

I still haven't made up my mind on what to do with the Warlock.

keterys

First Post
I'd suggest not worrying as much about it. No, really. The arcanist, mage, and witch are all a wizard (pick your favorite translation). The Binder, Hexblade, and each Pact are all a Warlock (Ditto).

And then you can specify further. Maybe you're a Staff or Tome Wizard, maybe you're an Illusionist. Maybe you're a Witch.

zhouluyi

First Post
Hi Wepwawet,
Nice to see another portuguese speaking person here. It seems that our language doesn't have enough descritives for magic users, here are the class and race names that I use (I don't follow the Devir translation) for Essentials line:
Figher = Lutador
Knight = Cavaleiro
Slayer = Matador (not what I want, but good enough)
Rogue = Ladino
Thief = Ladrão
Cleric = Clérigo
Warpriest = Sacerdote guerreiro
Wizard = Mágico
Mage = Mago

Druid = Druida
Sentinel = Sentinela
Ranger = Patrulheiro (not very good, and passive to change)
Hunter = Caçador
Scout = Batedor
Paladin = Paladino
Cavalier = Cruzado
Warlock = Pactuante/Pactuador??
Hexblade = Praguejador afiado (passive to change)

RACES
Dwarf = Anão
Dragonborn = Draconato
Drow = Drow
Eladrin = Eladrin
Elf = Elfo
Halfling = Halfling
Human = Humano
Half-Elf = Meio-Elfo
Half-Orc = Meio-Orc
Tiefling = Tiefling

I still working on the Heroes of Shadow and Heroes of the Feywild classes and races, but most of them are fine:
Revenant = Revenant/Renascido/Regressante
Shade = Tenebroso
Vryloka = Vryloka
Hamadryad = Hamadríade
Pixie = Duende (or maybe Pixie untranslated)
Satyr = Sátiro

Assassin = Assassino
Executioner = Executor
Blackguard = Algoz
Vampire = Vampiro
Binder = Amarrador (não sei em Portugual, mas aqui encaixa bem)
Barbarian = Bárbaro
Berserker = Berserker
Bard = Bardo
Skald = Escaldo
Protector = Protetor
Witch = Bruxa

Tell me what you think about it.

Ryujin

Legend
Why not stick with your original term and use Mago Negro for Witch? Witches are traditionally traffickers in the black arts, after all.

zhouluyi

First Post
Ryujin, I use those translation for personal use. My book are in english and I play in portuguese, as such I need words that I can quickly relate to what they mean, that why I use direct translations first and foremost and disregard "official" translations.

I use many (I even have a full glossary) terms that are different from the official translation, but is more in line with a direct translation from english. A classic example of heresy of mine is changing the Figher, which is traditionally translated as 'Guerreiro' (warrior) in every D&D game, to 'Lutador' (which means Fighter). Or Wizard as 'Mágico', instead 'Mago'. Saving throw as 'Jogada de Salvação', traditionally it was translated as 'Jogada de Proteção' (protection throw) and in 4th edition it became 'Teste de Resistência' (resist test).

In my not so humble opinion, my translations are better than the official ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads