Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

More crunch for things other than combat. Bring the rules for exploration and social interaction up to par with the rest of the ruleset!

Modularity - don't give me a new game to take on as a whole - give me bits I can easily bolt onto my 5e games.
Maybe look at Cortex for ideas for how to do social conflicts.

Maybe even treat Alignment, Ideal, Flaw, and Quirk, plus Ambition and each Loved One as a kind of ability score.

Convert bonuses to d20 checks into dice, to roll multiple bonuses, and use the highest result.

+2 is d4
+3 is d6
+4 is d8

Roll as many bonuses as applies.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
  • Hybrid versions of each class, that is made to be paired with another hybrid class.
  • Concrete rules for crafting, upgrading items, and having items level up with you.
  • Poisons have gold cost that upgrades with their power level. Give me that for explosives, various alchemical widgets from splash AoE Alchemist's Fire to Tanglefoot bags to blast patches.
  • Rules building on the Aquisitions Inc book and other sources to make it possible to adjudicate followers and home bases and enterprises without having to invent it all yourself as a DM.
  • More spells that act as on the fly customization widgets. EG, ranger and warlock spells that boost the capabilities of a companion, which could be a conjured critter or a beast companion or a familiar, allowing them to turn spell slots into companion capabilities on the fly.
  • More customization of spell lists.
  • Full subclasses that represent multiclassing into another class concept, like a wild shaping monk subclass, or a more Druidic Paladin Oath (because Ancients is much more Fey, IMO), etc.
  • More hireling stuff, related to one of the points above, where you can turn money into hireling/follower training, upgrading the capabilities of your...humanoid resources.

Class archetype options by tier.

1-4 Basic, student, page, guild apprentice
5-8 Expert, professional, squire, guild journeyer

9-12 Master, chief, knight, guild master
13-16 Official, guild grandmaster, arch, noble

17-20 Legend
21-24 Immortal, epic

Prestige class = subclass open to any class for certain tiers.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
(If you're not interested in the concept of an Advanced 5E, this thread isn't for you. Move along. Nothing to see here!)

I used "Advanced" just because AD&D did. That doesn't mean better, but it sounds better than "Crunchy 5E". The working title I have in mind is the '6th World System'.

If you ARE interested in the idea of an Advanced 5E - 5E with a bit more crunch - what features would you want to see in it?

Asking for a friend who is me who might make it.

I'd like to see 5e's version of Prestige classes, which I think is further development of the Factions concept from Adventurer's League. Make those five levels of reputation provide more benefit that currently, and develop the system to further explain how you can gain reputation and the obligations that come with it.

I'd like to see some of the stuff Matt Collville has been doing with the game, incorporated into it in a more formal way. Retainers, Followers, building your own Stronghold and Guild, etc..

I'd like to see a good full tactical combat optional ad-on, with some more melee oriented classes like the Warlord.

I'd like to see an optional Zero-level pre-hero rules.

I'd like to see more weapon rules, and more weapons. Lets see all those old polearms, and more differentiating between the weapons, with more than just damage dice they can do. Some more armor options might be nice as well.

I'd like to see an expansion of the exploration and social tier, with more rules for both.

I'd like to see some Epic level rules, with rules on becoming a demi-god.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Subclasses for each class that start at level one with additional subclass levels received at the same level for all classes. Following this, subclasses that any class can take it hybrid classes to bring flavour of the base class to another class similar to hybrids in 4e.

Make the supernatural gifts in Theros default themes. It was a great idea in 4e and 2e (via class kits) and I think having themes any class can take that customise the character even further than background would be pretty cool.

Intuitive schedule for character features for every tier:

LTIERCLASS
SPECIES
FEAT
BACKGROUND
Species​
0ZEROArchetype
Feat​
0Class
Background​
1BASICArchetype
Feat​
3Class
Species​
5EXPERTArchetype
Feat​
7Class
Background​
9MASTERArchetype
Feat​
11Class
Species​
13OFFICIALArchetype
Feat​
15Class
Background​
17LEGENDArchetype
Feat​
19Class
Species​
21IMMORTALArchetype
Feat​
23Class
Background​

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
  • Prestige Classes
  • Crafting system, expanded use for tool proficiency checks, detailed d100 tables, including:
  • Detailed costing tables for magic items, and crafting of such
  • Revamp Feats, make them tiered, (similar to 3.5, ie. Dodge>mobility>Spring Attack, etc)
  • More Feats

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
4e style Druid option: you keep your own stats but can fluff your wild shape however you wish. You IRL do not need to keep a notebook full of stat blocks for every beast in the zoo. Options (structured like the PHB hunter ranger) for what your beast form can do. Some options should grant "quills" (melee counter-attack) or reach ("tentacles") or flight / burrow / swim or a multiattack.

Monsters run through a "The Monsters Know What They Are Doing" type analysis so each creature's traits work together, each monster is different (see orcs vs goblins vs kobolds), and a given monster can do more than 'rawr chompchompchomp'

And +1 to better Exploration rules. Interacting with the world around you should be fun, not feel like you cannot find your glasses.

Remove ads