Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

whimsychris123

Adventurer
I don't necessarily need a "crunchier" game in terms of game mechanics. One thing I like about 5e is that I rarely have to look up advanced rules for things like grappling or whatever. However, I would like to see more meaningful character choices as characters level. In 5e, once characters choose their subclass, they are pretty much on a similar path with everyone else in that subclass. Sure, feats exist to provide some variety, but I'd still like some more ways to truly differentiate characters, particularly in higher levels.

Retreater

Legend
One thing I'd like to add, and I realize this may be far away in the future, is the ability to play on a VTT. I don't foresee getting to play again in person, so compatibility with online play is a must.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I really want a game that is transparent about how things are built. Both the mathy bits and the ribbon bits. And then clear procedures for the GM or player to build their own.

I'd like a disclaimer that if someone uses the above desired-by-me rules to build something, balance is as good as what the players and GM bring to it - in other words if someone creates their owlbear (mountain heritage) monk hexblade, it may have slightly less or more DPR than the other player's gnome (air elemental heritage) druid school of divination. And if that DPR disparity exists - well caveat emptor.

In terms of "under the hood", here's what I'd like revealed
  • Class
    • Sub-Class
  • Race (changing the name of that to heritage or folk would be good)
    • Sub-race
  • Spells
  • Magic Items
  • Artifacts
  • Equipment
  • Backgrounds
Also, epic levels (up to 30+).

More robust uses for Inspiration, especially ways to engage with Ideals, Flaws, and Bonds.

End of Session procedures.

Random Dungeon and Terrain generation tables.

Robust PVP rules.

Instead of ASIs, increasing ability scores would be through failing at a skill check with those scores - basically a parallel advancement track for each ability.

If I was to get really crazy, I'd love to see an optional "fail forward" or "succeed with cost" mechanism provided.

If I was to get super duper crazy, I'd love to have robust rules for social encounters (Burning Wheel's Battle of Wits? 4e's Skill Challenges? Other?) that could parallel physical combat encounters, but lean on WIS, INT, CHA.

Will there be an A5E MM? (A5E Manual of Monstrosities?)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
For actual content,

- My most wanted thing would be more mundane classes and archtypes, ala AiME. Having all classes be inherently magical makes it hard to play theme differing from high magic heroics.

- I'd like to have a unified attack/defense sequence in 5e like in 4e, where all attacks and spells were made against a Defense or in 3e where all spells were resisted by a Saving Throw. Having both is confusing and adds nothing.

- I'd also like to have more classes be at-will or resource less like the rogue OR have all class operate on the same recovery mechanics. Have them all be reset on long rest or short rest.

- I'd would appreciate a reforged monk less based on kung-fu movies and more on fighting-sages from different origins.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
#1 Knobs for DMs to adjust the number of encounters per long rest / short rest to their pacing style.

Likely it would need some alternate spell advancement charts, and then some per class adjustments.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Less distinct weapons. Right now 90% of the weapons list would never be used by a primary weapon wielder character. Make them just general categories that players can flavor however they like within those categories to allow player creativity and chocie of weapons that aren't "the most advantageous".

techno

Explorer
I would love something that actually fulfills the original "modular elements of complexity" and "dials" concept of 5e before the design team mostly abandoned those ideas in exchange for simplicity. I want a PC that can feel like a 4e martial in play, for example. I want more meaningful character options. I want degrees of success. I want different types of weapons and armor to matter and perform differently. I want more dynamic, tactical combat. I want exploration to matter more. I want monsters that run as streamlined and interesting as 4e monsters. There are lots of cool possibilties, and I will be following this project with interest.

Remove ads