• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Generation of D&D are you?

What Generation of D&D Player are you?

• 1st Generation (1971-1973)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2nd Generation (1976-1979)

Votes: 229 57.0%
  • 3rd Generation (1985-1987)

Votes: 125 31.1%
  • 4th Generation (2000-present)

Votes: 40 10.0%

Sam

First Post
Played a bunch as a kid/teenager in the late seventies / early eighties then fell away from the hobby. Didn't pick it up again until March of 2001, when I was in a WotC store buying Pokemon cards for my kids and I saw the new boxed set. Brought it home, played it for my kids & wife and was hooked again. Now I play (at least) every week (so does my wife, who was not a gamer before this), with a great group of people I met because of gaming.

--Sam

i started somewhere around 87 or 88 with the red basic set and stuck with basic D&D through to the rules cyclopedia. 2nd edition had been out a while before i made the move to "Advanced D&D". I never had a problem with 2e, and i liked skills and powers a lot. I still miss "Basic" sometimes, but 3e is by far my favorite incarnation of the game.

drowchick

First Post
I am in that amorphous area between what is listed as 1st and 2nd generations. I began playing in 1978 at age eleven with my cousins. We used the box sets, but also the hardback “AD&D” books were coming out. I have chits somewhere still in one of my gaming boxes, but we used dice- one of the things that sold me most on the game. The jewel-like appearance of these dice were almost as good to me as the adventures created over the initial years of playing. As another happy reminder, I still have one remaining original die from the early days- a d12, not one of those caltrop-esque d4 puppies that would get me shrieked at if occasionally (and quite innocently) left on the floor.

It continued… I played through junior high and high school, then with the introduction of 2e somewhere in or near my twenties I kept playing- and kept on when the black book editions of 2e came out. Twenty-four years and hundreds of dollars later, I find myself learning 3e.

I suspect when I am fifty, I will find myself learning 4e… although I will probably still be playing my favoured combo of 1e/early 2e.

Regards-

drowchick
Gamer for life

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Whoops, I accidentally voted for second generation when I should have voted for third. Can that be changed?

I've been into D&D since the mid-80s. I cut my teeth as a player (and later as a DM) with AD&D 2nd Edition during the late Eighties and early Ninties.

The first D&D book I fell in love with was the AD&D Oriental Adventures book. I took one look at that cover and was completely hooked.

I've completely transitioned to 3rd Edition after having to sell all my old 2nd Edition material in order to pay my rent and eat for two months. (Yes, my collection was that extensive - Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Spelljammer, Mystara, Birthright (for a while), Dragonlance (mostly novels) and even Lankhmar.)

It was hard selling all that stuff but I didn't have a choice. Of all it, the stuff that hurt the most to sell was my Planescape collection. *sniff* (Still have the main boxed set though. I'd have sold a body part before letting that go.) :p

At this stage of my gaming development, I have become more of a writer than a gamer. And while I do mean some design work, that means that I've moved towards writing more about the history, mythology and background of my world as a whole.

I guess the main reason why I've been outta the loop gaming wise is do in part to the hell I've been going through over the last few years. (Since the late 90s really.)

I've been smacked around physically and mentally. To make a long story short - nearly losing your mind then getting hit by a car kind of takes the fun out of life. :(

Anyway, I shouldn't bring everybody down. After all, life can only get better from where I'm at emotionally. Hmm, I should call my friend Brian tomorrow and see if he's planning on starting up a new campaign.

Roleplaying is really the best medicine for the soul. :D

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Roleplaying games in general: Third Generation

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Specifically D&D: Fourth Generation

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :)

-G

SteelDraco

First Post
I'm in between 3rd and 4th, I suppose. Anybody remember when the gold box games were released? That was my start. I believe the first D&D-related thing I owned was the Secret of the Silver Blades CRPG; as far as actual product goes, it was the D&D Rules Cyclopedia. I had that for just a few days before I went "Hey! This isn't the same rules as the computer game! Why can't I play a dwarven cleric?" I then purchased the 2e PHB and DMG. That would have been, at a guess, 1991. From there, I taught my friends to play, and have been going strong ever since.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads